Agent going bust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent going bust?

Our 15 flats use an outside block management company. Their website has disappeared. They haven’t provided any financial updates for 6 months, but have made demands for services going back 4 years suddenly claiming that they are extras outside their normal services. We fear that they are in financial difficulty. If a block management company goes bust and in doing so uses up the service charges already paid, where does that leave the flat owners?

Any service charge funds should be held on trust for you in a client account but if they've spent everything illegally your only recourse would be taking recovery proceedings which is probably pointless if they've gone bust. Have you checked their financial status at Companies House ?

Comment

You should set up RTM company to take over administration of the lease for your building and appoint another management company.

Comment

We already own the freehold via the Man Co.. An RTM for single building ( 1 of 3) problematical because not fully detached, and breaking up a bigger estate into multiple RTMs leaves problems over shared roads and services.
        Actively looking for a new agent, but worried about everyone having to pay twice if funds have been spent.
        They are still on Companies House.

Comment

An agent should hold professional indemnity insurance, so you may be able to make a claim if monies go missing. I recommend that you ask to see the bank statements.on a regular basis. You are right to seek another agent,

Comment

Originally posted by Granger View Post
            outside block management company ... website has disappeared ... haven’t provided any financial updates for 6 months ... have made demands for services going back 4 years suddenly claiming that they are extras outside their normal services.
            If it is an RMC employing a managing agent, what does the agency contract say? ARMA Charter (2015) requires ARMA members to specify their fixed fee services clearly when signing up with clients. The RMC made sure of this, right?

Members of the RMC can ask to see such pivotal company documents as the agency contract. Does the agent have freedom to make a budget as it sees fit? Surely not?

"Extras"? Normally an agency contract will require client requests to do X or Y extras as listed in the non-regular items in the contract and the RICs code explains this as well as the ARMA Charter.

Asking for more money for "extras" still falls under the famous s20B 18 month deadline as well as evidence.

Whatever the facts, I'd suggest time for RMC to move on to a new agent. Presumably the contract provides a termination clause.

Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

The RMC can insist the managing agent holds the service charge funds in a separate "client account" , separate from the managing agents own bank account.

Comment

Seeing a potential new agent next week. Ref to S20B above very helpful re extras. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Incompetent Managing Agent
                  by eagle2
                  The member cannot reverse a vote on his own but I agree that you should meet him and discuss a way forward to work together. It calls for a firm but friendly conversation explaining what he can and what he cannot do and asking him to raise comments for consideration and pay contributions promptly,...
                  28-09-2021, 11:42 AM
                • Incompetent Managing Agent
                  by aki131960
                  After years of poor management by our head leaseholder, we adopted the RTM with 4 directors and appointed managing agents. I had reservation about the agents and voiced these but one of the other 3 directors insisted that they had good references. As we were running out of time before the transfer...
                  05-08-2021, 13:33 PM
                  by Gordon999
                  1. Leaseholders are required to pay their share of the service charge contribution under the terms of Lease and any arrears in paying service charge can be claimed through the small claims court.

2. The RTM is responsible for the service charge after "handover date". ...
                  28-09-2021, 10:56 AM
                • Reply to Can I put an office room in my garden?
                  by Gordon999
                  Is your property a leasehold house ?
                  28-09-2021, 10:38 AM
                • Can I put an office room in my garden?
                  by darcia
                  Hi, so I want to put an office in my garden which I think it'll be classified as outbuilding. It'll be of about 5 x 4 m I believe.

Can I do it based on these clauses?

Thanks very much for your help.
                  1. Not to make any external or structural alteration or addition to the Property
                  27-09-2021, 19:58 PM
                  by aki131960
                  The RTM was formed to get rid of the Head Leaseholder who was useless, and not the freeholder. We asked the freeholder for recommendations for expediency because they manage a lot of buildings and we do not have the time to go around interviewing agents.

The rogue lessee is now asking...
                  28-09-2021, 10:16 AM
                • Ground rent linked to value of property
                  by ecfc29
                  Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

My current GR is £100 pa, but in approx 16 years time will increase to 0.20% of the property value (1/500th as per lease), which is then reviewed at further 25 yr intervals until the end of the lease in c113 years time. So while there is no...
                  27-09-2021, 12:15 PM
                • Reply to Ground rent linked to value of property
                  by sgclacy
                  Adding to what Section20Z comments - your ground rent would be perceived as an issue by buyers and their lenders - the rent being twice the 0.1% limit some lenders have imposed (why 0.1% was chosen is surprising - no articulated study or thoughts have come from lenders as to how this figure was arrived...
                  28-09-2021, 08:20 AM
                • Reply to Ground rent linked to value of property
                  by Section20z
                  Based on sgclacy's calculation it will probably cost you £20k with legals. If you have that sitting in a regular bank account then you might only get £50pa interest so potentially saving £100pa ground rent isn't a bad investment especially when adding future security.
                  If you need to borrow...
                  28-09-2021, 07:15 AM
                • Reply to Can I put an office room in my garden?
                  by nukecad
                  Clause one says that you are not to make any external alterations or additions.

The way it reads that includes free standing aditions. (Garage, outhouse, shed, etc).

Unlike the other two clauses, it doesn't mention consent at all, it's just a bare prohibition.
                  27-09-2021, 23:36 PM
                Working...
                X