Agent going bust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent going bust?

Our 15 flats use an outside block management company. Their website has disappeared. They haven’t provided any financial updates for 6 months, but have made demands for services going back 4 years suddenly claiming that they are extras outside their normal services. We fear that they are in financial difficulty. If a block management company goes bust and in doing so uses up the service charges already paid, where does that leave the flat owners?

Any service charge funds should be held on trust for you in a client account but if they've spent everything illegally your only recourse would be taking recovery proceedings which is probably pointless if they've gone bust. Have you checked their financial status at Companies House ?

Comment

You should set up RTM company to take over administration of the lease for your building and appoint another management company.

Comment

We already own the freehold via the Man Co.. An RTM for single building ( 1 of 3) problematical because not fully detached, and breaking up a bigger estate into multiple RTMs leaves problems over shared roads and services.
        Actively looking for a new agent, but worried about everyone having to pay twice if funds have been spent.
        They are still on Companies House.

Comment

An agent should hold professional indemnity insurance, so you may be able to make a claim if monies go missing. I recommend that you ask to see the bank statements.on a regular basis. You are right to seek another agent,

Comment

Originally posted by Granger View Post
            outside block management company ... website has disappeared ... haven’t provided any financial updates for 6 months ... have made demands for services going back 4 years suddenly claiming that they are extras outside their normal services.
            If it is an RMC employing a managing agent, what does the agency contract say? ARMA Charter (2015) requires ARMA members to specify their fixed fee services clearly when signing up with clients. The RMC made sure of this, right?

Members of the RMC can ask to see such pivotal company documents as the agency contract. Does the agent have freedom to make a budget as it sees fit? Surely not?

"Extras"? Normally an agency contract will require client requests to do X or Y extras as listed in the non-regular items in the contract and the RICs code explains this as well as the ARMA Charter.

Asking for more money for "extras" still falls under the famous s20B 18 month deadline as well as evidence.

Whatever the facts, I'd suggest time for RMC to move on to a new agent. Presumably the contract provides a termination clause.

Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

The RMC can insist the managing agent holds the service charge funds in a separate "client account" , separate from the managing agents own bank account.

Comment

Seeing a potential new agent next week. Ref to S20B above very helpful re extras. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leasehold sweetener?
                  by Bonehead33
                  So the flat I'm considering will apparently come with a new leasehold of 99 years. If I pay full asking price (10k more than I think it's worth) then the flat will come with a 125 year lease. I'm new to leasehold. Is there any benefit to getting the 125 and paying extra? The flat is around 100k to buy...
                  26-09-2021, 16:35 PM
                • Reply to Leasehold sweetener?
                  by Bonehead33
                  250 per year. Get to see the review either today or tomorrow
                  27-09-2021, 04:24 AM
                  by sgclacy
                  what is the proposed ground rent and its review pattern
                  27-09-2021, 03:57 AM
                  by Bonehead33
                  Hi guys.

Sorry I may have misled getting some of my terminology wrong.

So I'm a BTL landlord with one semi in my portfolio. This is my first flat that I wish to buy as a BTL and the first time I've come across leasehold.
                  the seller of the flat is arranging a new 99y...
                  27-09-2021, 03:34 AM
                • Reply to Freeholders transfer management to company and charge for own time.
                  by AndrewDod
                  Creating a pseudo arm of the freeholder with an intent to create a fee generating entity is basically a type of fraud. You have the right to enforce the lease, and collect ground rent, but not to make any money out of the freehold at all (apart from on reversion/lease extension).

Yes I...
                  26-09-2021, 21:41 PM
                • Freeholders transfer management to company and charge for own time.
                  by zena
                  I share the freehold with one other flat. The third flat is leasehold only. There is no management company and things are ad hoc - there is no right for the freeholders to charge any management fees or recover expenses for their time. When everyone is friendly, fair and responsive it's great but...
                  25-09-2021, 14:08 PM
                  by AndrewDod
                  As vmart says, and consider whether you really want to buy a leasehold flat at all (or purchase property at all in a City where you might be forced to do so within your price range). May be cheaper to rent....
                  26-09-2021, 21:26 PM
                  by vmart
                  In your case, I would suggest it would not be worth paying + £10K for the additional term. You would likely be better off renewing the lease via the statutory route once you are the leaseholder. This will add 90 years to the term of 99 years, reduce ground rent to a peppercorn (£0) and enable you...
                  26-09-2021, 17:42 PM
                • Right to Manage Costs
                  by Pariah81
                  Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
                  21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
                • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
                  by ram

Which means if anyone over the initial 15 wish to join the company and be a shareholder, just like the 15 that contributed £ 9000, then you would be within your right to ask for £ 600 to become a member.
                  As why should someone who wants to join afterwards pay any less than each
                  26-09-2021, 17:37 PM
                Working...
                X