Agent going bust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent going bust?

Our 15 flats use an outside block management company. Their website has disappeared. They haven’t provided any financial updates for 6 months, but have made demands for services going back 4 years suddenly claiming that they are extras outside their normal services. We fear that they are in financial difficulty. If a block management company goes bust and in doing so uses up the service charges already paid, where does that leave the flat owners?

Any service charge funds should be held on trust for you in a client account but if they've spent everything illegally your only recourse would be taking recovery proceedings which is probably pointless if they've gone bust. Have you checked their financial status at Companies House ?

Comment

You should set up RTM company to take over administration of the lease for your building and appoint another management company.

Comment

We already own the freehold via the Man Co.. An RTM for single building ( 1 of 3) problematical because not fully detached, and breaking up a bigger estate into multiple RTMs leaves problems over shared roads and services.
        Actively looking for a new agent, but worried about everyone having to pay twice if funds have been spent.
        They are still on Companies House.

Comment

An agent should hold professional indemnity insurance, so you may be able to make a claim if monies go missing. I recommend that you ask to see the bank statements.on a regular basis. You are right to seek another agent,

Comment

Originally posted by Granger View Post
            outside block management company ... website has disappeared ... haven’t provided any financial updates for 6 months ... have made demands for services going back 4 years suddenly claiming that they are extras outside their normal services.
            If it is an RMC employing a managing agent, what does the agency contract say? ARMA Charter (2015) requires ARMA members to specify their fixed fee services clearly when signing up with clients. The RMC made sure of this, right?

Members of the RMC can ask to see such pivotal company documents as the agency contract. Does the agent have freedom to make a budget as it sees fit? Surely not?

"Extras"? Normally an agency contract will require client requests to do X or Y extras as listed in the non-regular items in the contract and the RICs code explains this as well as the ARMA Charter.

Asking for more money for "extras" still falls under the famous s20B 18 month deadline as well as evidence.

Whatever the facts, I'd suggest time for RMC to move on to a new agent. Presumably the contract provides a termination clause.

Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

The RMC can insist the managing agent holds the service charge funds in a separate "client account" , separate from the managing agents own bank account.

Comment

Seeing a potential new agent next week. Ref to S20B above very helpful re extras. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Right to Manage Costs
                  by Pariah81
                  Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
                  21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
                • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
                  by lampshade
                  ERMmmm....it would be very interesting especially as our Freeholder, who owned the company that Managed the building gave the contract to another fringe company, and the fees doubled to £10k pa....and if 12 of us leave that will cause fee problems for the remaining 2 flats, but not our problem....will...
                  23-09-2021, 17:50 PM
                  by Section20z
                  Yes, you should be able to. We did something similar for one of two blocks with same name just different flat numbers. First step is to get 6+ owners to take part and form a company to serve the notice. A reluctant freeholder will fight every step so you may need professional help to get it right....
                  23-09-2021, 17:35 PM
                  by lampshade
                  Interesting....I have one lease in a total of 3 blocks totalling 34 flats. All managed under one managing agent appointed by the FH.
                  But each block, whilst seemingly are all connected there are 3 separate blocks of about 11 flats in each. Each block has both front and back entrance, and unique...
                  23-09-2021, 15:29 PM
                • Reasonable solicitor fees?
                  by LizLease
                  After six long and tedious months of negotiations to extend the lase on a flat, we are nearing completion and I have been sent the final balance.

I was shocked to be presented with a £2,700 bill for the freeholder's solicitor fees. When I first inquired about renewing the lease, the freeholder...
                  21-09-2021, 17:17 PM
                • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
                  by eagle2
                  You can insist on a summarised time record showing the number of hours spent by each grade of solicitor on the different aspects of the work involved. You can then compare it with your own solicitor's time records in order to raise a specific complaint.

Intead though, I suggest that you...
                  23-09-2021, 14:42 PM
                • Negotiating a lease extension
                  by LizLease
                  Hi all, I am new to the forum.
                  I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
                  I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
                  I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
                  21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
                • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                  by sgclacy
                  Does that include the surveyor fee ?...
                  23-09-2021, 14:36 PM
                • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                  by LizLease
                  Thank you both

sgclacy, if you are talking about the "deed of surrender and regrant of lease", that is a 10 page document and as far as I am ware, there are no specific issues or complications with it. It's a flat in a 30 year-old small block of flats and there are no odd clauses...
                  23-09-2021, 12:17 PM
                • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
                  by LizLease
                  Thanks for the replies.
                  It has taken 6 months because the surveyor - who was dealing with the negotiations - was useless and not proactive / reactive. Add to that the fact that we had reached a deal I said OK to, then the freeholder and their solicitor turned around and said actually no, they...
                  23-09-2021, 12:09 PM
                Working...
                X