Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese knotweed

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me!
    I own and let a ground floor flat in a building with 4 other flats. I found out there was Japanese knotweed in the garden when I was remortgaging a few years ago and had no alternative than to share the cost of treatment with the owner of the basement flat, as the garden is their property. They sold the flat while treatment was still in progress and the new owner is refusing to allow access for the treatment. I also know she has done work in the garden and although it looks nice, it may be invalidating the terms of the treatment and the insurance. I’ve emailed and explained the need to complete it, but she isn’t responding. What can I do? I hope to sell my flat soon, but I’m very concerned about the impact this will have on the sale.

I think the new leaseholder cannot refuse access for treatment work especially for Japanese Knotweed if the work has already started..

Comment

This nonsense happened in my former building, except it was a landlord owner who was refusing to allow access. It amazes me how people refuse to listen to reason, even when it means their own flat will become unsalable.

The treatment company ended up accessing the area through a ladder from the ground floor flat window. The management company / freeholder took the view that they had a right to access the area for the treatment, even it was demised to the lower ground floor flat, and determined it was easier and quicker to use the ladder approach v. forcibly enter the lower ground floor flat. We had also approached the building next door, to see if they would allow the workmen to enter and climb over the fence, and they were amenable if the ladder option had not worked.

This happened in another instance in the same building for a longer-term repair, and the building was forced to build a scaffold up the front of the building and then down the back of the building to facilitate the repair.

As you know, it is critically important that the JK treatment remains on schedule and you have documentation to show your purchasers. If the guarantee gets voided, you will end up with a potentially unsalable flat.

Comment

It has been incredibly frustrating! I did speak to the management agency and they pretty much responded with a shrug, saying we can’t force her to allow access. There may be a way of accessing it via the neighbour to the rear, but I’m having trouble reaching them by phone. I’m interested to hear your management and freeholders were able to override your neighbour though. I’ve spoken to them as well as the other leaseholders over the years and no-one seems very interested in getting involved, which just baffles me. When I first contacted one of the neighbours whose garden was infested he was incredibly angry at my offer to treat it at no charge and was directly threatening legal action if we tried to treat his property!

Comment

There should be a clause in your lease which gives the freeholder or management company right to serve 24 hours notice for access to undertake repairs . Please post up the clause in your lease.

Comment

Thankyou for this - I do have something in my lease and assuming the other leaholder does too, I emailed the freeholder and asked them to contact her. There is a new proposed treatment date, and I just hope she will allow them in. As I paid for the initial treatment, I’m concerned any additional costs may fall on me too…..

Comment

https://charleslyndon.com/services/japanese-knotweed/

check this link. May be worth giving them a call to see if they can help u.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Right to Manage Costs
                by Pariah81
                Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
                21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
              • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
                by lampshade
                ERMmmm....it would be very interesting especially as our Freeholder, who owned the company that Managed the building gave the contract to another fringe company, and the fees doubled to £10k pa....and if 12 of us leave that will cause fee problems for the remaining 2 flats, but not our problem....will...
                23-09-2021, 17:50 PM
                by Section20z
                Yes, you should be able to. We did something similar for one of two blocks with same name just different flat numbers. First step is to get 6+ owners to take part and form a company to serve the notice. A reluctant freeholder will fight every step so you may need professional help to get it right....
                23-09-2021, 17:35 PM
                by lampshade
                Interesting....I have one lease in a total of 3 blocks totalling 34 flats. All managed under one managing agent appointed by the FH.
                But each block, whilst seemingly are all connected there are 3 separate blocks of about 11 flats in each. Each block has both front and back entrance, and unique...
                23-09-2021, 15:29 PM
              • Reasonable solicitor fees?
                by LizLease
                After six long and tedious months of negotiations to extend the lase on a flat, we are nearing completion and I have been sent the final balance.

I was shocked to be presented with a £2,700 bill for the freeholder's solicitor fees. When I first inquired about renewing the lease, the freeholder...
                21-09-2021, 17:17 PM
              • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
                by eagle2
                You can insist on a summarised time record showing the number of hours spent by each grade of solicitor on the different aspects of the work involved. You can then compare it with your own solicitor's time records in order to raise a specific complaint.

Intead though, I suggest that you...
                23-09-2021, 14:42 PM
              • Negotiating a lease extension
                by LizLease
                Hi all, I am new to the forum.
                I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
                I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
                I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
                21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
              • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                by sgclacy
                Does that include the surveyor fee ?...
                23-09-2021, 14:36 PM
              • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                by LizLease
                Thank you both

sgclacy, if you are talking about the "deed of surrender and regrant of lease", that is a 10 page document and as far as I am ware, there are no specific issues or complications with it. It's a flat in a 30 year-old small block of flats and there are no odd clauses...
                23-09-2021, 12:17 PM
              • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
                by LizLease
                Thanks for the replies.
                It has taken 6 months because the surveyor - who was dealing with the negotiations - was useless and not proactive / reactive. Add to that the fact that we had reached a deal I said OK to, then the freeholder and their solicitor turned around and said actually no, they...
                23-09-2021, 12:09 PM
              Working...
              X