Service charge risk for leaseholder in partially unsold property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service charge risk for leaseholder in partially unsold property?

Hello,

I am in the process of buying a leasehold apartment in a newly completed block of 32 residential flats plus one commercial space. None of the properties are sold yet as the object has just come on the market, after the developer went bust and receivers were instructed to sell the property.

If my purchase goes ahead, in case there was a delay with the sale of some of the other flats or the commercial property, would I be at risk of having to pay a larger proportion of the service charge, given that the same amount of cost would be divided up between a smaller number of leaseholders? This post from 2013 seems to suggest that the freeholder would be liable to contribute towards such charges, but would this also apply in my circumstances where the freeholder is in administration?

My lease reads the following:

In relation to the Service Charge Year current at the date of this lease, the Tenant's obligations to pay the estimated Service Charge and the actual Service Charge shall be limited to an apportioned part of those amounts, such apportioned part to be calculated on a daily basis for the period from the date of this lease to the end of the Service Charge Year. The estimated Service Charge for which the Tenant is liable shall be paid in equal instalments on the date of this lease and the remaining Rent Payment Days during the period from the date of this lease until the end of the Service Charge Year.
    Can anyone advise whether "apportioned" here refers to the number of days the lease was held for, or would this relate to the apportionment between the individual apartments, according to size? The below was included below the draft service charge budget.

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 23.09.31.png

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated, my solicitor doesn't really seem to know the answers to this..

If your solicitor is unable to answer your questions, you should consider changing solicitor.

The clause states that you are only responsible for paying your share of the service charges from the date of your lease. There should be another clause within the lease which states how your share is to be calculated eg a fixed percentage of the total or a reasonable sum to be determined by the freeholder etc

The freeholder or in your case, the administrator should pay the service charges relating to unsold units. At the end of the year, you should receive service charge accounts and you should study them carefully to ensure that the freeholder has contributed and that no costs which are the freeholder's responsibility have been included as service charges.

Comment

Thank you for your feedback. The clause relating to the share of service charge is as follows

Service Charge: a fair and reasonable proportion determined by the Landlord of the Service Costs;
      Isn’t that a rather vague definition? What if the Landlord/Receiver determines it fair not to contribute to the service charges? Is there legislation that regulates that freeholders are obliged to contribute for unsold flats or commercial spaces I could rely on? My solicitor seems to be under the impression that’s what might happen.

Comment

If your freeholder has gone bust there is unlikely to be funds , so regardless of lease obligations they won't be able to contribute and work won't get done.
        "A fair and reasonable proportion" is not ideal as clearly it would be fair and reasonable for you to pay a much larger proportion if you are the only resident, and FTT would likely concur.
        Your lease date is very likely to be long before the purchase date so your apportionment may be much higher.

Personally, I would be walking away unless it's a huge bargain in which case I would be requesting that lease be altered so your liability is clear.

​​​​​
        ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by michael_bates View Post
          Service Charge: a fair and reasonable proportion determined by the Landlord of the Service Costs
          No way on earth should you buy a flat with that definition.

Comment

I have seen worse, it doesn't end with " ... whose decision shall be final"

Comment

Originally posted by michael_bates View Post
              My solicitor seems to be under the impression that’s what might happen.
              Something may be lost in translation as to "seems" and "impression" but you need as much bankable legal opinion in this caper as possible. What may seem one thing can swerve into something entirely different when a court gets their hands on the wording. The word "reasonable" in leasehold may as well come from ancient Coptic, not received English.

I would expect my lease to say in clear terms that I must pay X% of the estimated service charge and when all portions are added up for flats and commercial unit the total comes to 100%. Happy days.

Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSoffit View Post
                I would expect my lease to say in clear terms that I must pay X% of the estimated service charge and when all portions are added up for flats and commercial unit the total comes to 100%. Happy days.
                Absolutely!

What you need to be wary of here is that the landlord may be looking to retain some part (perhaps the commercial unit) and get all the flats' contributions to add up to 100%.

Comment

Firstly, let me thank you all for your contributions and collective wisdom. As a first-time buyer, this is completely unknown territory for me and as you noted correctly, my appointed solicitor seems to be paying less attention to the fine print of the contract than me - this is just one out of eight queries I raised with him, which I believe could put me at financial risk further down the line, that he has not been able to give me clear answers to.

Following your advice, I will definitely not agree to sign the lease on such murky terms. But even if the receiver agreed to contractually fix a percentage of estimate service charges to be paid, is there a way to protect myself from the scenario Section20z described?

If your freeholder has gone bust there is unlikely to be funds , so regardless of lease obligations they won't be able to contribute and work won't get done.
                  The commercial unit alone is supposed to contribute almost 20k towards the estimated annual service charge budget, but I honestly don't see this object being sold anytime soon. So without a solvent freeholder, I assume this development would be off to an undercapitalised start, with insufficient funds for necessary maintenance and repairs. Or are there provisions I could ask to be included in the lease to ensure whoever is the landlord (presumably the freehold will be sold off after the flats) needs to contribute on behalf of any vacant units?

Comment

Well done for checking the terms of the lease thoroughly before buying.

The administrator has probably been appointed by creditors and his duty will be to find a buyer, either for the freehold or for the individual units, as soon as possible. He will need to pay the share of the service charges out of the proceeds so I do not think that you need to worry about that, indeed he will be interested in keeping the expenditure as low as possible, The major problem is that you do not know who will become the freeholder, so you would be stepping into the unknown.

Your best option would be to try to buy the freehold at a discounted price, change the terms of the lease and sell the unwanted units. .

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
                      Your best option would be to try to buy the freehold at a discounted price, change the terms of the lease and sell the unwanted units. .
                      That would be one heck of a leap from first time flat buyer to owner of a multi million pound freehold block of flats and commercial.

Comment

It may need support from friends and family, a helpful banker or a chance on the lottery, but the end result could be the freehold and a unit for nothing and a workable lease,

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Leasehold sweetener?
                          by Section20z
                          Swings & roundabouts really, if you have the money now then haggle for the 125 years but once you've owned it 2 years you can add 90 years to the lease for probably similar cost but maybe the better long term option.
                          More important might be negotiating the ground rent down or fixing it.
                          27-09-2021, 06:28 AM
                        • Leasehold sweetener?
                          by Bonehead33
                          So the flat I'm considering will apparently come with a new leasehold of 99 years. If I pay full asking price (10k more than I think it's worth) then the flat will come with a 125 year lease. I'm new to leasehold. Is there any benefit to getting the 125 and paying extra? The flat is around 100k to buy...
                          26-09-2021, 16:35 PM
                          by Bonehead33
                          250 per year. Get to see the review either today or tomorrow
                          27-09-2021, 04:24 AM
                          by sgclacy
                          what is the proposed ground rent and its review pattern
                          27-09-2021, 03:57 AM
                          by Bonehead33
                          Hi guys.

Sorry I may have misled getting some of my terminology wrong.

So I'm a BTL landlord with one semi in my portfolio. This is my first flat that I wish to buy as a BTL and the first time I've come across leasehold.
                          the seller of the flat is arranging a new 99y...
                          27-09-2021, 03:34 AM
                        • Reply to Freeholders transfer management to company and charge for own time.
                          by AndrewDod
                          Creating a pseudo arm of the freeholder with an intent to create a fee generating entity is basically a type of fraud. You have the right to enforce the lease, and collect ground rent, but not to make any money out of the freehold at all (apart from on reversion/lease extension).

Yes I...
                          26-09-2021, 21:41 PM
                        • Freeholders transfer management to company and charge for own time.
                          by zena
                          I share the freehold with one other flat. The third flat is leasehold only. There is no management company and things are ad hoc - there is no right for the freeholders to charge any management fees or recover expenses for their time. When everyone is friendly, fair and responsive it's great but...
                          25-09-2021, 14:08 PM
                          by AndrewDod
                          As vmart says, and consider whether you really want to buy a leasehold flat at all (or purchase property at all in a City where you might be forced to do so within your price range). May be cheaper to rent....
                          26-09-2021, 21:26 PM
                          by vmart
                          In your case, I would suggest it would not be worth paying + £10K for the additional term. You would likely be better off renewing the lease via the statutory route once you are the leaseholder. This will add 90 years to the term of 99 years, reduce ground rent to a peppercorn (£0) and enable you...
                          26-09-2021, 17:42 PM
                        • Right to Manage Costs
                          by Pariah81
                          Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
                          21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
                        Working...
                        X