Building damage?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Building damage?

    I have noticed that one of the 3 blocks has some studs hammered into the brickwork in one corner. There are also cracks running down the bricks. I am guessing that these studs are markers made by an engineer at some point, suggesting a structural issue maybe.
    In the event that any further opening of these cracks appear, would I be correct in assuming that this would be an insurance issue, not affecting leaseholders??

    It would only be an insurance issue if the freeholder has an adequate policy covering it. The best thing is for the freeholder or managing agent to instruct an engineer who will put movement detectors on the property and see if there is any movement. It could be historical.

    All leaseholders pay in the end, with increased service charge.


      Within the service charge there is of course a charge for Insurance. Presume if any work ever needs doing it would come from that Insurance policy? And then possibly an increase in future Insurance cost


        Not to put a damper on things, but insurance is for accidents / unforseen occurences / trees falling on building / cars.- etc

        Insurance does not cover for deliberate acts which caused a fault.
        Thats why why drill round holes in bricks, put a plug in it then screw though the plug.
        No sharp edges banged into a brick.

        It's not an accident, not unforseen occurences, but a deliberate act for purposes we are not sure on, at present.

        If these are markers, then any resultant replacement of the bricks is a small price for the leaseholders to pay for replacement.


        Latest Activity


        • Can I put an office room in my garden?
          by darcia
          Hi, so I want to put an office in my garden which I think it'll be classified as outbuilding. It'll be of about 5 x 4 m I believe.

          Can I do it based on these clauses?

          Thanks very much for your help.
          1. Not to make any external or structural alteration or addition to the Property
          27-09-2021, 19:58 PM
        • Reply to Can I put an office room in my garden?
          by Neelix
          As you will need to alter the house electrics you will need to seek the written approval of the LL
          27-09-2021, 20:18 PM
        • Ground rent linked to value of property
          by ecfc29
          Hi all,

          Looking for some advice.

          My current GR is £100 pa, but in approx 16 years time will increase to 0.20% of the property value (1/500th as per lease), which is then reviewed at further 25 yr intervals until the end of the lease in c113 years time. So while there is no...
          27-09-2021, 12:15 PM
        • Reply to Ground rent linked to value of property
          by sgclacy
          No great pearls of wisdom will come from employing a surveyor to work out the premium - they will give you a range of values depending on the capitalization rate and clearly you know how to do it - the ground rent does have a strong element of protection from inflation, but that is dependent on house...
          27-09-2021, 19:18 PM
        • Reply to Ground rent linked to value of property
          by Gordon999
          You can download a free guide to statutory 90 years lease extension from LEASE website ( ).

          You can use the LEASE calculator to find out the "cost of statutory lease extension" now ( 113 years remaining ) , and 2 years later ( 111 years remaining ) and...
          27-09-2021, 16:26 PM
        • Incompetent Managing Agent
          by aki131960
          After years of poor management by our head leaseholder, we adopted the RTM with 4 directors and appointed managing agents. I had reservation about the agents and voiced these but one of the other 3 directors insisted that they had good references. As we were running out of time before the transfer...
          05-08-2021, 13:33 PM
        • Reply to Incompetent Managing Agent
          by eagle2
          The idea of a RTM Company is to remove yourselves from the freeholder, so I am not sure why you would wish to choose an agent recommended by the freeholder, but you can always suggest a trial and see how you get on.

          The leaseholder can resign from the RTM Company but you will still have...
          27-09-2021, 15:30 PM
        • Leasehold sweetener?
          by Bonehead33
          So the flat I'm considering will apparently come with a new leasehold of 99 years. If I pay full asking price (10k more than I think it's worth) then the flat will come with a 125 year lease. I'm new to leasehold. Is there any benefit to getting the 125 and paying extra? The flat is around 100k to buy...
          26-09-2021, 16:35 PM
        • Reply to Leasehold sweetener?
          by AndrewDod
          The service charge could be absolutely anything - may be £500 this year, but £20,000 next year, or even more when you find yourself one of the 1% of properties with cladding issues (or whatever comes next).

          As eagle2 says, service charges (and service charge fraud) are where all the bodies...
          27-09-2021, 12:31 PM
        • Reply to Leasehold sweetener?
          by Bonehead33
          Service charge is 500 per year. It's a town centre flat above a shop. No idea how reasonable that is?
          27-09-2021, 12:08 PM