Service charge Tribunal application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service charge Tribunal application

I have a long running dispute with my Freeholder, which dates back to 2013. I have decided its time to get this resolved by applying to the Tribunal. The application form allows for only six years of disputed charges to be entered. Can anyone advise what happens to the charges that are over six years old please.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

This is because of the statute of limitation time bars recovering debts over 6 years or 12 years in some cases. It is, I understand, based on the last time you wrote to them or made a payment.

Why have you waited so long to resolve issues? Depending upon the circumstances the court may not allow you to dispute aged service charges (I assume you are referring to service charges). I suspect you will need to show you clearly disputed charges within a reasonable time scale giving reasons as to why they were not payable under the lease (if this was the case) or unreasonable (if this was the issue).

Further, I wonder why the freeholder has not taken action.

If you let us know more, there are others on this forum that will likely provide insights.

Comment

Tribunals have been known to go back more than 6 years but please let us have more information. It is usually best to pay what you consider to be reasonable and let the freeholder take action if it wishes to recover the balance.

Comment

Hi, thank you for your responses.
        The Freeholder changed managing agents in 2013, and they changed the percentage used to calculate my service charge. I wrote to them straight away, advising them of the mistake, and again 12 months later when the percentage had still not ben corrected. I received no acknowledgement of either letter. With the second letter I included a cheque for the ground rent, which was banked. I have continued to pay my ground rent, as this is not subject to the service charge percentage.
        I don't have an adequate explanation as to why I've not done anything sooner.

Comment

The Freeholder has the right to recover service charge debt up to 6 years or 12 years, depending on the wording in the lease.

https://slcsolicitors.com/guides/lim...s-out-of-time/

Better to show the claim going back to 2013 and let the Tribunal decide whether 6 years or longer .

Comment

As the issue appears to be the percentage used to calculate your service charge, the first thing to do is check your lease to ensure the percentage you believe it should be is correct (you probably have done this). Ideally, you should have continued to pay the percentage of service charge due. A query or dispute about one matter does not provide wholesale right to withhold all service charges.

As eagle suggested you should now pay the sum you believe is rightly due. I would instruct a solicitor to write a letter providing payment of sum due and again disputing the balance. It will then be up to the freeholder to take action. You might want to contact LEASE for advice and check the website for standard letters which might be available.

Comment

What does your lease say? Does it mention a fixed percentage of costs? If so and the freeholder has made an error, you should simply pay the correct proportion.
              Or does the lease say that the freeholder may charge a reasonable sum? If so, Tribunals tend to allow a freeholder to charge on any basis which it is able to expain.
              Have you paid any service charges? Paying the amount which you agree will always count in your favour.
              Is that your only objection to the service charges?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Right to Manage Costs
                by Pariah81
                Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
                21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
              • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
                by lampshade
                Interesting....I have one lease in a total of 3 blocks totalling 34 flats. All managed under one managing agent appointed by the FH.
                But each block, whilst seemingly are all connected there are 3 separate blocks of about 11 flats in each. Each block has both front and back entrance, and unique...
                23-09-2021, 15:29 PM
              • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
                by eagle2
                You can insist on a summarised time record showing the number of hours spent by each grade of solicitor on the different aspects of the work involved. You can then compare it with your own solicitor's time records in order to raise a specific complaint.

Intead though, I suggest that you...
                23-09-2021, 14:42 PM
              • Reasonable solicitor fees?
                by LizLease
                After six long and tedious months of negotiations to extend the lase on a flat, we are nearing completion and I have been sent the final balance.

I was shocked to be presented with a £2,700 bill for the freeholder's solicitor fees. When I first inquired about renewing the lease, the freeholder...
                21-09-2021, 17:17 PM
              • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                by sgclacy
                Does that include the surveyor fee ?...
                23-09-2021, 14:36 PM
              • Negotiating a lease extension
                by LizLease
                Hi all, I am new to the forum.
                I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
                I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
                I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
                21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
              • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                by LizLease
                Thank you both

sgclacy, if you are talking about the "deed of surrender and regrant of lease", that is a 10 page document and as far as I am ware, there are no specific issues or complications with it. It's a flat in a 30 year-old small block of flats and there are no odd clauses...
                23-09-2021, 12:17 PM
              • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
                by LizLease
                Thanks for the replies.
                It has taken 6 months because the surveyor - who was dealing with the negotiations - was useless and not proactive / reactive. Add to that the fact that we had reached a deal I said OK to, then the freeholder and their solicitor turned around and said actually no, they...
                23-09-2021, 12:09 PM
              • Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                by mpppen
                I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

I've read back through the forums...
                21-09-2021, 18:47 PM
              • Reply to Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                by mpppen
                Ooh interesting, thanks Gordon.

I'll do some research to see if I can dig it up.
                If anyone else knows more about this though in the interim, please shout.

Many thanks...
                23-09-2021, 10:21 AM
              Working...
              X