Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land

I am a director of a freehold company which comprises six leasehold flats in a converted building.

The leaseholder of the lower ground flat has taken to placing a small table and two chairs outside her front door for use when the weather is good. They items are not causing any obstruction. The land on which the table and chairs are placed is owned by the freehold company.

One of my fellow directors has raised a question about “Adverse Possession” whereby the leaseholder in question can claim after a period of time “ownership” of this land. In addition my fellow director states that this is an unacceptable intrusion on the common areas of the building. Matters are not helped by my fellow director owning the ground floor flat and does hear noise when the table and chairs are in use.

Any thoughts and guidance would be gratefully received.

Not adverse possession I don't think. Even if the chairs remained there fenced off for a decade, I don't think you can claim AP relating to land you have the right to access anyway.

I can't see a problem with them sitting there if the lease allows, but should not be leaving the stuff there 24/7

Comment

Not enough to amount to adverse possession and in any event you cannot be in adverse possession against your landlord: However, after a period any land occupied may be treated as part of the land leased. It has to be doubted though that there is sufficient possession for that. Make a diary note to review the situation in, say, seven years time.

Comment

Originally posted by Joubert View Post
        One of my fellow directors has raised a question about ....

Matters are not helped by my fellow director owning the ground floor flat and does hear noise when the table and chairs are in use.
        TBH it sounds like the 'fellow director' doesn't like the noise being made, and so instead of having a word with the neighbour is going over the top and looking for a sledgehammer to crack a very small nut by trying to get the 'force' of the freehold company on his side.

It's a simple neighbour dispute, the fact that he is a director should make no difference and he shouldn't be using his directorship to try and solve personal disputes.

Comment

It is not normal to have table and chairs outside a front door.

I would have thought at a minimum. you should be stating that they only have the right to pass and re-pass over the common ground in front of the house, they should not make table and chairs a permanent occurance, I.E. to take them in every day when finished with, but at the moment they have no permission to place items on hardstandind pathways / drive ways.
          ( Unless of course there is grass in front of the flat and that is were the table and chairs are, and if that is classed as a front garden, then tables and chairs "could be" allowed in a front garden, although if it's just a small piece of grass one finds that is Not a garden, then you don't allow anything on there )

Is there a communal garden?
          Does the flat have their own demised back garden patch ?
          Does the Sun shine on the front of property or rear in the Summer ?

Comment

More knowledgeable people than me have already posted.
            My view is if it is not permitted in the lease then not allowed to have table and chairs. If only access permitted then only access accepted. You can't cherry pick which parts of the lease you wish to obey.

Comment

Many thanks for the very helpful replies above.

The lease does not expressly disallow tables and chairs on the freehold property and as this is a Lower Ground Floor Flat with the only external doorway from the outside steps being into the leaseholder’ own flat they do not cause any obstruction.

For my part, and that of another Director, we like the table and chairs were they are as they are i) attractive, ii) the leaseholder has no outside space or communal garden and iii) the leaseholder keeps an eye on the vicinity of the building.

If the one Director who objects continues with this matter then we will have to seek professional advice and most probably, in the end, issue a Licence for the leaseholder to continue to use the table and chairs.

With renewed thanks.

Comment

Are you saying that the table and chairs are in an open sunken space to which no other leaseholder needs access?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can I put an office room in my garden?
                  by darcia
                  Hi, so I want to put an office in my garden which I think it'll be classified as outbuilding. It'll be of about 5 x 4 m I believe.

Can I do it based on these clauses?

Thanks very much for your help.
                  1. Not to make any external or structural alteration or addition to the Property
                  27-09-2021, 19:58 PM
                • Reply to Can I put an office room in my garden?
                  by nukecad
                  Clause one says that you are not to make any external alterations or additions.

The way it reads that includes free standing aditions. (Garage, outhouse, shed, etc).

Unlike the other two clauses, it doesn't mention consent at all, it's just a bare prohibition.
                  27-09-2021, 23:36 PM
                • Reply to Can I put an office room in my garden?
                  by Neelix
                  As you will need to alter the house electrics you will need to seek the written approval of the LL
                  27-09-2021, 20:18 PM
                • Reply to Ground rent linked to value of property
                  by sgclacy
                  No great pearls of wisdom will come from employing a surveyor to work out the premium - they will give you a range of values depending on the capitalization rate and clearly you know how to do it - the ground rent does have a strong element of protection from inflation, but that is dependent on house...
                  27-09-2021, 19:18 PM
                • Ground rent linked to value of property
                  by ecfc29
                  Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

My current GR is £100 pa, but in approx 16 years time will increase to 0.20% of the property value (1/500th as per lease), which is then reviewed at further 25 yr intervals until the end of the lease in c113 years time. So while there is no...
                  27-09-2021, 12:15 PM
                • Reply to Ground rent linked to value of property
                  by Gordon999
                  You can download a free guide to statutory 90 years lease extension from LEASE website ( www.lease-advice.org ).

You can use the LEASE calculator to find out the "cost of statutory lease extension" now ( 113 years remaining ) , and 2 years later ( 111 years remaining ) and...
                  27-09-2021, 16:26 PM
                • Incompetent Managing Agent
                  by aki131960
                  After years of poor management by our head leaseholder, we adopted the RTM with 4 directors and appointed managing agents. I had reservation about the agents and voiced these but one of the other 3 directors insisted that they had good references. As we were running out of time before the transfer...
                  05-08-2021, 13:33 PM
                • Reply to Incompetent Managing Agent
                  by eagle2
                  The idea of a RTM Company is to remove yourselves from the freeholder, so I am not sure why you would wish to choose an agent recommended by the freeholder, but you can always suggest a trial and see how you get on.

The leaseholder can resign from the RTM Company but you will still have...
                  27-09-2021, 15:30 PM
                • Reply to Leasehold sweetener?
                  by AndrewDod
                  The service charge could be absolutely anything - may be £500 this year, but £20,000 next year, or even more when you find yourself one of the 1% of properties with cladding issues (or whatever comes next).

As eagle2 says, service charges (and service charge fraud) are where all the bodies...
                  27-09-2021, 12:31 PM
                • Leasehold sweetener?
                  by Bonehead33
                  So the flat I'm considering will apparently come with a new leasehold of 99 years. If I pay full asking price (10k more than I think it's worth) then the flat will come with a 125 year lease. I'm new to leasehold. Is there any benefit to getting the 125 and paying extra? The flat is around 100k to buy...
                  26-09-2021, 16:35 PM
                Working...
                X