Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting

Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share each. The flat management company is also the freeholder of the whole property.
    Since the house conversion in the 1970s, all the flats have been owner-occupied. Now one of the properties is being sold and the seller wants it to be available for buy-to-let purchasers.
    This would be a major change; however the leases do not allow for letting.

A couple of the other owners are very uneasy about having a buy-to-let arrangement, primarily due to concern about what kind of people are likely to turn up as tenants. This isn't snobbery but sincere concern for personal safety; I'm afraid we are living in particularly difficult times.
    As it is, the management company has not voted with a majority in favour of allowing the lease to be changed.

The seller is finding that no-one will (apparently) buy the flat because of the restriction on letting. Is this likely to be the case? At the same time, other residents remain highly concerned about giving way.

Reading other threads here, there seems to be an opinion that NOT permitting letting will devalue properties. I do wonder whether this is merely a view of staunch buy-to-let supporters, or whether there is some genuine truth in it.

IF...If we were to agree to let the seller change the appropriate clause in the lease, would we as a management company have any say in the future over what category of renters would be acceptable, or would it be forced to accept all and any kinds due to discrimination, equality laws etc etc etc?
    Professional lets are normally not an issue, however we do know that at the first sign of students, benefits claimants etc, our property insurance premiums will rise......and this obviously affects the other residents in the block.
    Bad tenants adversely affect property values, surely?

Is there any way we as a flat management company could be forced to make these changes?

I can only give my opinion based on what i see when dealing with ASB and general bad behaviour with tenants as part of my job, even as a landlord, if i were in your position with the arrangement as it is.... i would not want the flat to be allowed to be a BTL, Yes it may limit the number of buyers but for the owner/occupiers who still live in the other flats it will be a lot nicer living there. The current owners are right to be worried about who may be tenants, the management company will have no control over who they are, gone are the days where a clause can be put in to stop those claiming benefits to rent the place...... forget that one straight away. If they open Pandora's box then all control is lost. I would not do it.

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I'll appreciate others' input as well. Incidentally I'm not the seller in this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by witsend55 View Post
        Incidentally I'm not the seller in this issue.
        Even if you were my opinion would stay the same, i think that given it is a converted house the noise isolation and other issues are not the same as separate purpose built flats, so having one as a rental will have far more of an impact upon the other owners who live there. It really is a one way street if the permission is given, and remember this, it may reduce the number of buyers for the flat in question but in the future it may also reduce the number of buyers for the other 3 remaining flats..... i would not wish to buy a converted flat with any of the others as rental properties due to the reasons i have stated, it cuts both ways.

Comment

You can really only change the leases with 100% agreement of everyone. Nor should you change this lease.

It's is not a majority vote.

Comment

Earlier posters have covered everything I wanted to write.

Owner occupiers generally treat a property better than tenants (I have been both and it applied to me too).

Comment

1) Reading other threads here, there seems to be an opinion that NOT permitting letting will devalue properties.
              2) Bad tenants adversely affect property values, surely?
              3) Is there any way we as a flat management company could be forced to make these changes?
              • 1) Your possition - and mine, is NOT permitting letting will enhance the properties.
              • 2) Bad tenants DO adversely affect property values - normally.
              • 3) Your lease is not defective, so no need to change. And Judges HAVE gone along with the freeholder keeping the "no letting" term.
              • 4) Your argument is also as all above posts, and additionally, it is a residential building, with owner occupiers, and not for a business opportunity to make profit from, and you all want it to stay that way. AND there was a reason initially for not agreeing lettings.

I have seen developers come onto properties. They don't give a dam about your access or parkng rights. They let it for 3 years to pay for the "up grading", ( £ 20,000, so they don't lose if they have to sell at the same price ) then sell at a profit, and countless problems with the owners that let out not giving a dam either.

I had an occation once where the new leaseholders did not ask permision to sub-let, and when I found out, and because they too could not give a dam about anything, ( many probIems in their short time there ) decided that any problems with sub-tenants, would not be resolved by the owners, and in my mind, would not be suttable for us to allow them to sub let.

After telling them they must ask for permission,and receiving such a request, I refused permission, without any reasons. ( I took a calculated risk )
              The owners, the letting agents who were about to put in 2 sub-tenants ( without permission ), and possibly a soilicitor somewhere, did not contest my decision. AND it was not a 100 % agreement to allow the sub-lettng ( I voted no to sub-letting - of course )
              Shortly afterwards the flat was up for sale.

Your insistance at number 4 should suffice, and add, The lease is not defective, and the "Company" must enforce the lease - by Law, and the no letting covernant will remain in all leases.

Comment

Thank you everyone. The thoughts here are in accordance with my own gut feeling, that our flat management co. should leave things as they are. I have been very worried where it all might lead to if we got psychologically bulldozed by the seller into agreeing to such a major change in the residency structure. I must say that over thirty years each flat has only changed hands once; it's been pretty quiet! Your responses have been most helpful.

Comment

our flat management co. should leave things as they are.
                  The Directors must inform the Managing agents that "they must adhere to the lease, and that the management company has not voted with a majority in favour of allowing the lease to be changed, therefore please continue to enforce the lease" as the directors so stipulate.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can I put an office room in my garden?
                    by darcia
                    Hi, so I want to put an office in my garden which I think it'll be classified as outbuilding. It'll be of about 5 x 4 m I believe.

Can I do it based on these clauses?

Thanks very much for your help.
                    1. Not to make any external or structural alteration or addition to the Property
                    27-09-2021, 19:58 PM
                  • Reply to Can I put an office room in my garden?
                    by nukecad
                    Clause one says that you are not to make any external alterations or additions.

The way it reads that includes free standing aditions. (Garage, outhouse, shed, etc).

Unlike the other two clauses, it doesn't mention consent at all, it's just a bare prohibition.
                    27-09-2021, 23:36 PM
                  • Reply to Can I put an office room in my garden?
                    by Neelix
                    As you will need to alter the house electrics you will need to seek the written approval of the LL
                    27-09-2021, 20:18 PM
                  • Ground rent linked to value of property
                    by ecfc29
                    Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

My current GR is £100 pa, but in approx 16 years time will increase to 0.20% of the property value (1/500th as per lease), which is then reviewed at further 25 yr intervals until the end of the lease in c113 years time. So while there is no...
                    27-09-2021, 12:15 PM
                  • Reply to Ground rent linked to value of property
                    by sgclacy
                    No great pearls of wisdom will come from employing a surveyor to work out the premium - they will give you a range of values depending on the capitalization rate and clearly you know how to do it - the ground rent does have a strong element of protection from inflation, but that is dependent on house...
                    27-09-2021, 19:18 PM
                  • Reply to Ground rent linked to value of property
                    by Gordon999
                    You can download a free guide to statutory 90 years lease extension from LEASE website ( www.lease-advice.org ).

You can use the LEASE calculator to find out the "cost of statutory lease extension" now ( 113 years remaining ) , and 2 years later ( 111 years remaining ) and...
                    27-09-2021, 16:26 PM
                  • Incompetent Managing Agent
                    by aki131960
                    After years of poor management by our head leaseholder, we adopted the RTM with 4 directors and appointed managing agents. I had reservation about the agents and voiced these but one of the other 3 directors insisted that they had good references. As we were running out of time before the transfer...
                    05-08-2021, 13:33 PM
                  • Reply to Incompetent Managing Agent
                    by eagle2
                    The idea of a RTM Company is to remove yourselves from the freeholder, so I am not sure why you would wish to choose an agent recommended by the freeholder, but you can always suggest a trial and see how you get on.

The leaseholder can resign from the RTM Company but you will still have...
                    27-09-2021, 15:30 PM
                  • Leasehold sweetener?
                    by Bonehead33
                    So the flat I'm considering will apparently come with a new leasehold of 99 years. If I pay full asking price (10k more than I think it's worth) then the flat will come with a 125 year lease. I'm new to leasehold. Is there any benefit to getting the 125 and paying extra? The flat is around 100k to buy...
                    26-09-2021, 16:35 PM
                  • Reply to Leasehold sweetener?
                    by AndrewDod
                    The service charge could be absolutely anything - may be £500 this year, but £20,000 next year, or even more when you find yourself one of the 1% of properties with cladding issues (or whatever comes next).

As eagle2 says, service charges (and service charge fraud) are where all the bodies...
                    27-09-2021, 12:31 PM
                  Working...
                  X