Garden Furniture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden Furniture

We have been told (yes I know lol) by the management company that we can't have benches in the communal gardens due to health and safety. Sounds like a load of hogwash to me. Has anybody had problems with this?

First, how many flats are there.
    2nd, are you a shareholder in the company that owns the freehold.
    3rd Do you have ( probably do ) Directors of the Managing company ( freeholder ) ( not the managing agent ) living at the property

It does matter as extended answers may be different depending on your answer.

I would tell them, to go forth and multyply, and as the councils have not removed every bench in every park, picknic area in the U.K. then benches are not a health and safety concern.
    Anyone wandering around the garden when dark, is probably a tresspasser.
    Anyone wandering around the garden in the light, and trips over a bench, should be confined to a mental ward.

You could also state, please employ night shift security to prevent these tresspassers from entering the garden at night.
    Also, please put warning signs up " If you are blind, do not enter the Garden" and also to every flat in brail on the envelope, and letter ( with normal writing as well.)

HOWEVER, your lease may state you are not allowed to put anythng in the garden that the freeholder has not authorised, then benches are not permitted, which is completly different from health and safety concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy1986 View Post
      We have been told (yes I know lol) by the management company that we can't have benches in the communal gardens due to health and safety. Sounds like a load of hogwash to me. Has anybody had problems with this?
      The first response to anyone who tells you must do or refrain from doing anything or that the law is such and such, is to enquire what authority there is for what they are asserting.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
        Can't quite agree with the above.

I would tell them, to go forth and multyply, and as the councils have not removed every bench in every park, picknic area in the U.K. then benches are not a health and safety concern.
        If the communal gardens are a communal area, the freeholder/man co can authorise or not authorise what it likes to be placed or stored there.

You could also state, please employ night shift security to prevent these tresspassers from entering the garden at night.
        This would be passed to the leaseholder as a service charge, possibly not the best solution.

Comment

Is this your own bench you want to put there, or are you asking for them to provide benches?

Comment

We have been told (yes I know lol) by the management company that we can't have benches in the communal gardens due to health and safety.
            That could be completely valid - although it does depend on circumstances (including the answers to some of the questions that others have already asked).

The management company, on the freeholder's behalf if there is a separate freeholder, has a responsibility for the health and safety of anyone using the communal areas, including the garden. That means that they have a responsibility to ensure the safety of anything that is placed in the communal areas - and, if there is any possibility that a bench (or anything else) might be unsafe in anyway, permission to allow them to be put in the communal areas by leaseholders should be refused (it's far easier to refuse than to give permission and then require a bench to be removed if it is deemed to be unsafe in the future.

On the other hand, if you are asking for them to provide benches, it might be possible for this to be allowed and charged for as part of the service charges or paid for separately by leaseholders agreement (depending on what the circumstances for the property are, whether this is allowed by the terms of the lease, etc.).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Right to Manage Costs
              by sgclacy
              Reminds me of a riddle from the book by Feldman and Spratt - Five Frogs on a log

Five frogs are sitting on a log.
              Four decide to jump off. How many are left?
              Answer: Five
              Why?
              Because there's a difference between deciding and doing....
              23-09-2021, 20:14 PM
            • Right to Manage Costs
              by Pariah81
              Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
              21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
              by Gordon999
              Yes , many years ago I was organiser to buy the freehold , some leaseholders agreed to participate but when the time came to pay their share of the purchase funds, they dropped out.....
              23-09-2021, 19:50 PM
              by lampshade
              ERMmmm....it would be very interesting especially as our Freeholder, who owned the company that Managed the building gave the contract to another fringe company, and the fees doubled to £10k pa....and if 12 of us leave that will cause fee problems for the remaining 2 flats, but not our problem....will...
              23-09-2021, 17:50 PM
              by Section20z
              Yes, you should be able to. We did something similar for one of two blocks with same name just different flat numbers. First step is to get 6+ owners to take part and form a company to serve the notice. A reluctant freeholder will fight every step so you may need professional help to get it right....
              23-09-2021, 17:35 PM
              by lampshade
              Interesting....I have one lease in a total of 3 blocks totalling 34 flats. All managed under one managing agent appointed by the FH.
              But each block, whilst seemingly are all connected there are 3 separate blocks of about 11 flats in each. Each block has both front and back entrance, and unique...
              23-09-2021, 15:29 PM
            • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
              by eagle2
              You can insist on a summarised time record showing the number of hours spent by each grade of solicitor on the different aspects of the work involved. You can then compare it with your own solicitor's time records in order to raise a specific complaint.

Intead though, I suggest that you...
              23-09-2021, 14:42 PM
            • Reasonable solicitor fees?
              by LizLease
              After six long and tedious months of negotiations to extend the lase on a flat, we are nearing completion and I have been sent the final balance.

I was shocked to be presented with a £2,700 bill for the freeholder's solicitor fees. When I first inquired about renewing the lease, the freeholder...
              21-09-2021, 17:17 PM
            • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
              by sgclacy
              Does that include the surveyor fee ?...
              23-09-2021, 14:36 PM
            • Negotiating a lease extension
              by LizLease
              Hi all, I am new to the forum.
              I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
              I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
              I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
              21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
            Working...
            X