Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pet at the flat

Hello everyone,

I am sorry if similar topic already has been created but I couldn't find anything.

The question is; we brought the 2 bed flat last September and decided to have a little dog as my husband got a new job and he will be working from home full time.
    In our lease contract says , No animal bird or other living creature is to be kept in the flat without the landlords prior concern in writing which may be withdrawn at any time without reason in the event of complaints being received from other occupiers in the building or neighbouring building.
    At the moment only we are the one who is living at our floor (3rd floor last one no one on top of us) and we don't have any neighbours, and we also know some of other tenants want pets as well and they had asked LL and has been categoric No without any explanation.
    Me and my husband write email and asked for permission as well and straight away we received the answer NO (it was replay : Further to the below email the answer is a no to a pet in the property, as i have mentioned previously other residents have asked and had the same response - the client has to be consistent.
    So i have a question what can we do in this situation.
    Thank you all in advance.

Tanya

it could be the same way the council do it, they say you aren't allowed one but so many people have one.

I think as long as you are keeping the place clean, hall way etc then as no one complains its not a problem.

Comment

Hi Movieman,

Thank you for your replay,
      At the moment no one in our building have a pets as its a new build and so far i know only like 20 flats out of 71 has been sold i dont know if it does make cense

Comment

If "concern" is actually "consent" and the rest of the wording is correct, I don't see that the landlord can actually decline to give consent.
        It reads as though they have to give consent which can then be withdrawn if complaints are received from neighbours or people in a neighbouring building.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Trying to sell flats with a noisy dog nearby would be even more difficult!

Comment

I wouldn't have allowed it, especially on a 3rd floor flat, if there was access to garden space (i may accept it), plus going up and down the communal hallway (after going in the rain) etc. Since you've brought the place, you should have read the details of the lease. Your currently in breach of your lease agreement.

Comment

Presumably this is a therapy dog for your husband's mental health while he's alone in the flat ?
              Just carry on and don't let it annoy the neighbours and you'll be fine.
              From that wording you are not even allowed to have spiders (or children !)

Comment

Originally posted by Codger View Post
                Trying to sell flats with a noisy dog nearby would be even more difficult!
                Thank you,
                That what i though, maybe we just should wait and ask for permissions again when we do going to have neighbours ?

Comment

I would inform the LL, better to be open and honest, rather than hide the fact, it would make things worse if the LL later found out and you hadn't informed them in the first instance..... Communication is key in this. You may also have devalued the property by being in breach or worse unsellable.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
                    I would inform the LL, better to be open and honest, rather than hide the fact, it would make things worse if the LL later found out and you hadn't informed them in the first instance..... Communication is key in this. You may also have devalued the property by being in breach or worse unsellable.
                    at the moment we don't have any pet but we want one that why we did asked for permission and the answer was no,
                    we know if we are will get a dog we will breach the agreement that why i am asking what else we can do to LL change they mind?
                    maybe sign the petition etc?

Comment

Originally posted by TanyaKTA View Post
                      we know if we are will get a dog we will breach the agreement that why i am asking what else we can do to LL change they mind?
                      If you need to ask for permission which the landlord can decline and you have done and it's been declined, there isn't really anything you can do.
                      You're living in a building where one of the things you've agreed to is not to have a dog, and so you can't have one.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by TanyaKTA View Post

at the moment we don't have any pet but we want one that why we did asked for permission and the answer was no,
                        maybe sign the petition etc?
                        Oh, I was under the impression you had already got the dog, in which case, your only real option is to move property, may be get a pet friendly apartment or house (in which case you wont need any permission).

You could show your a responsible owner and pass all the certificates jabs and insurance to the LL, also may also sweeten the deal by offering for them to hold a amount (£5k) in a escrow account in case there is any future damage, these are all ways to negotiate, having a petition signed wouldn't help much, especially if other Leaseholders are planning on sell their property in the near future.

Comment

Bizarre - you buy a property that says 'no pets' and then want a pet! Do you only obey rules & laws that suit you? I thought this was tenant behaviour but it seems owner occupiers are not exempt!

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
                            Bizarre - you buy a property that says 'no pets' and then want a pet! Do you only obey rules & laws that suit you? I thought this was tenant behaviour but it seems owner occupiers are not exempt!
                            So are you telling me that when you start a new job and you get given your contracted salary that you expect to earn that the whole time you working there without it to going up ?
                            I was on here for an advice not to be stated the obvious.... thanks for your input

Comment

An important point like no pets is not something you should expect to change. Your service charge will change no doubt over the years - but not whether pets are allowed. Some other leaseholders may not want pets and be glad of that order.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                                by eagle2
                                It makes you wonder why any freeholder should comply with s20 at all. As you say, it can wait to see if any leaseholder challenges the costs. It does not even need to explain why it did not comply with s20, the only consideration appears to be whether or not the leaseholders suffered any financial prejudice,...
                                23-10-2021, 06:34 AM
                              • Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                                by SSLA91
                                Hi all,

Long time lurker of this forum and recent new member. Have always found the forum incredibly helpful so thank you! Have now got an issue with our freeholder that I could use some specific advice on (have tried searching for similar posts but to no avail).

We have recently...
                                20-10-2021, 20:28 PM
                              • Reply to Section 20 notice
                                by Starlane
                                Hi Macromia thank you as always for your helpful and sensible input.. one building is saying one thing and another building the other, the usual chinese whispers so I took the bull by the horns and spoke to everyone and I am almost there apart from a Director who wants to do their own thing ( not being...
                                22-10-2021, 20:57 PM
                              • Section 20 notice
                                by Starlane
                                Hello I would welcome input on the following:
                                Two roofs feed into a valley, the valley is in need of repair, this is a shared responsibility and therefore a shared cost. so how do we issue a section 20 notice when really we need the consent and agreement from two different buildings/landlords...
                                22-10-2021, 19:09 PM
                              • Reply to Share of freehold questions - confused
                                by Starlane
                                Agree thank you...
                                22-10-2021, 20:52 PM
                              • Share of freehold questions - confused
                                by sixunforced
                                Not sure if this is the right place for this query but anyway, I'm a first time buyer and have been searching for a property for like two years now (not continuously but on and off and obv covid halted my search for a while). I found a really nice 2 bedroom flat for under £320,000 in a block of around...
                                18-11-2020, 21:19 PM
                              • Reply to Section 20 notice
                                by Macromia
                                Assuming that the two freeholders have agreed that they will work together and share the costs, they jointly agree what needs to be communicated to the leaseholders and then each freeholder writes to the leaseholders in their building.
                                22-10-2021, 20:16 PM
                              • Reply to Freeholder threatening to cut water off
                                by Macromia
                                This is possibly by far the most important consideration, in my opinion.
                                If the OP's lease doesn't allow 'improvements' to be charged to service charges, the freeholder cannot require them to contribute anything towards the costs, and would therefore be something that they would have had no choice...
                                22-10-2021, 20:08 PM
                              • Freeholder threatening to cut water off
                                by Disraeli-LLH
                                I was hoping you would be able to help. We own a ground floor flat LLH(970 yrs remaining). The freeholder owns the house and lets the flat upstairs on an AST.

The freeholder currently undertaking works including replumbing. We have been on a shared water supply and we connect through their...
                                20-10-2021, 15:35 PM
                              • Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                                by Macromia
                                Possibly...

Although when my freeholder applied for dispensation a while back (arguing that the proposed work had to be carried out as a matter of urgency) they were granted dispensation with the First Tier Tribunal commenting that the 2013 Supreme Court Case of Daejan versus Benson meant...
                                22-10-2021, 19:51 PM
                              Working...
                              X