Are changes I want to make alterations, or do they come under a repair clause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are changes I want to make alterations, or do they come under a repair clause

I've recently purchased a leasehold coachhouse, and have a few minor changes I'd like to make, but I'm unsure what part of the lease they fall under.

Changes I'd like to make
    • Replacement of intergrated Hob (currently ceramic plates, i'd like to replace with glass)
    • Replacement (or repair) of carpet on stairs (non-communal). - The carpetting on the stairs is loose, and is therefore a tripping hazard, I'd like to either have it repaired, or replaced
    • Old lessor has done the "record your childs height each year thing" on an interior wall that I'd like to paint over, same with some holes left be previous decoration hangings

The Lease
    (only including relevant sections)

Defines the "premises" as

(a) All that first floor....
    (b) The inner surface of and the paint and other decorative finished applied to the interior of the external walls
    (c) The floor and ceiling finishes but nothing respectively below or above them
    (f) All additions and imrpovements to the Premises
    And in either case includes:-
    All the landlord's fixtures and fittings and all other fixtures of every kind which shall from time to time be in or upon the Premises and not expressly excluded from this demise
    the screed and finish (but not any other part) of the floors within the Premises
    Repair Clause
    At all times during the Term to keep the Premises in good and substantial repair.
    Alterations Clause
    Not to make or permit or suffer any structural alterations or additions to the Premises whatsoever
    Not make or permit or suffer any other alterations or additions except with prior written content of the Landlord and the Management Company and to pay a fee of not less that £100 in respect of such consent

So, points I'm unsure on
    • Does "The floor and ceiling finishes but nothing respectively below or above them" combined with "All the landlord's fixtures and fittings and all other fixtures of every kind which shall from time to time be in or upon the Premises and not expressly excluded from this demise" mean that pretty much everything between the floor and ceiling has been expressly excluded, and is therefore fine for me to alter?
    • Does repairing the carpet (having it restapled) or replacing the same (like for like) count as keeping the premises in good and substantial repair (especially as its currently dangerous)? And if so, does this contridict the alterations clause, which requires both permission and a fee? - Ditto with repairing damage to paintwork done by the height markings and previous decoration holes
    • Do small things like I'm thinking of even count as alterations? most of what I've seen when looking around at these posts is about people stripping and replacing whole bathrooms or moving walls - If so, where does the line get drawn? - can i hang shelves, paintings etc without permission? What about replacing fully broken things (i.e if the oven breaks am I allowed to just replace like for like)
    • Is the floor "finish" another way of saying carpet?
    This whole thing is really confusing to me, and I don't want to breach my lease accidentally!

Thanks in advance for any help clarifying

All those things you mention are permitted.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      All those things you mention are permitted.
      I agree with the above. No need to ask for consent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder Premium to consent
        by Limply
        Hi all,

I am looking at extending my leasehold flat by adding a newbuild next to the loft (will be erected on top of the first floor). I have just asked my freeholder for the process to follow. In the past they have asked me to pay a "Landlord’s premium for the consent to be established
        11-08-2022, 16:20 PM
      • Reply to Freeholder Premium to consent
        by AndrewDod
        The simple answer is no you can't do what you think you can. At the very least you would probably need to pay the FH at least 50% of the uplift in value of your property. The "not cutting timbers stuff" is not relevant to building something outside of your demise.

The FH might...
        11-08-2022, 20:12 PM
        by Limply
        Many thanks for the answer. I am already looking at buying the freehold title. Just need to convince the other leaseholder!...
        11-08-2022, 19:15 PM
      • Ground Rent review
        by Century
        United Scientific Holdings v Burnley Borough Council

Does this case mean that for a residential lease failure to give notice of GR increase during the review period doesn't matter? I.e review can be at any time, even after specified review date?
        11-08-2022, 14:47 PM
      • Reply to Ground Rent review
        by Century
        Will post the wording of lease tomorrow - going sea swimming now 🤷‍♂️
        11-08-2022, 18:12 PM
        by Gordon999
        Residential property usually sold under 99 years or 125 years leases have ground rents which increases after every 33 years or 25 years as stated in the lease. The Burnley Council case does not seem to be under a 99 year or 125 year lease. ....
        11-08-2022, 17:30 PM
        by Gordon999
        Your lease is only a long term rental contract. You have no ownership in the building which belongs to the freeholder.

If you want to add a loft extension above the first floor, you should consider purchasing the freehold title first.
        11-08-2022, 17:15 PM
      • Another leasehold nightmare!
        by porkmarkets
        Hi all! Long time lurker here. I've used this forum for advice and ideas since purchasing my leasehold flat a few years ago which has been super useful but unfortunately I have become stuck. So I've decided finally to sign up and beg you all for some advice specific advise.

I bought my...
        20-07-2022, 20:53 PM
      • Reply to Another leasehold nightmare!
        by Gordon999
        How many leasehold flats in your building ? North or South London ?

Under the terms of the lease, the freeholder appoints a managing agent (MA) to administer the service charge account and MA collects the service charge contributions from the leaseholders.

If you allow the...
        11-08-2022, 16:47 PM
        by AndrewDod
        I have not read the judgment but no notice is required for a residential ground rent increase that is specified in the lease. The FH does however need to invoice every ground rent request in the prescribed form -- so to at least that extent notice is given of the rate of rent requested at that time...
        11-08-2022, 16:36 PM
      Working...
      X