Are changes I want to make alterations, or do they come under a repair clause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are changes I want to make alterations, or do they come under a repair clause

I've recently purchased a leasehold coachhouse, and have a few minor changes I'd like to make, but I'm unsure what part of the lease they fall under.

Changes I'd like to make
    • Replacement of intergrated Hob (currently ceramic plates, i'd like to replace with glass)
    • Replacement (or repair) of carpet on stairs (non-communal). - The carpetting on the stairs is loose, and is therefore a tripping hazard, I'd like to either have it repaired, or replaced
    • Old lessor has done the "record your childs height each year thing" on an interior wall that I'd like to paint over, same with some holes left be previous decoration hangings

The Lease
    (only including relevant sections)

Defines the "premises" as

(a) All that first floor....
    (b) The inner surface of and the paint and other decorative finished applied to the interior of the external walls
    (c) The floor and ceiling finishes but nothing respectively below or above them
    (f) All additions and imrpovements to the Premises
    And in either case includes:-
    All the landlord's fixtures and fittings and all other fixtures of every kind which shall from time to time be in or upon the Premises and not expressly excluded from this demise
    the screed and finish (but not any other part) of the floors within the Premises
    Repair Clause
    At all times during the Term to keep the Premises in good and substantial repair.
    Alterations Clause
    Not to make or permit or suffer any structural alterations or additions to the Premises whatsoever
    Not make or permit or suffer any other alterations or additions except with prior written content of the Landlord and the Management Company and to pay a fee of not less that £100 in respect of such consent

So, points I'm unsure on
    • Does "The floor and ceiling finishes but nothing respectively below or above them" combined with "All the landlord's fixtures and fittings and all other fixtures of every kind which shall from time to time be in or upon the Premises and not expressly excluded from this demise" mean that pretty much everything between the floor and ceiling has been expressly excluded, and is therefore fine for me to alter?
    • Does repairing the carpet (having it restapled) or replacing the same (like for like) count as keeping the premises in good and substantial repair (especially as its currently dangerous)? And if so, does this contridict the alterations clause, which requires both permission and a fee? - Ditto with repairing damage to paintwork done by the height markings and previous decoration holes
    • Do small things like I'm thinking of even count as alterations? most of what I've seen when looking around at these posts is about people stripping and replacing whole bathrooms or moving walls - If so, where does the line get drawn? - can i hang shelves, paintings etc without permission? What about replacing fully broken things (i.e if the oven breaks am I allowed to just replace like for like)
    • Is the floor "finish" another way of saying carpet?
    This whole thing is really confusing to me, and I don't want to breach my lease accidentally!

Thanks in advance for any help clarifying

All those things you mention are permitted.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      All those things you mention are permitted.
      I agree with the above. No need to ask for consent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X