Caretaker Employment Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caretaker Employment Contract

We have recently taken over the management of our building under the RTM legislation. The building until now had been managed by the head-lease holder. Our building is in Central London with 6 flats plus a caretaker flat which provides accommodation for the caretaker. His employment is based on 21 hours per week at the minimum wage hourly rate, therefore a salary just under £10,000 per annum. Additionally, we pay the head-lease holder a rack rent for the caretaker flat at about £18,000 per annum. The total cost of the caretaker (about £28,000) is passed onto the tenants through the service charges.

I am a director of the new RTM company and am concerned about how the head-lease holder had managed the employment of the caretaker who has not been provided with P60s for the last 15 years. Plus it appears that the head lessor had collected from us (the tenants) the full wages but had only paid 2/3rds to the caretaker and kept the balance under an "accommodation offset" which in itself is a breach of the head lease which states that the caretaker should live in the flat rent-free.

My questions are:
    1- With regard to the employment contract of the caretaker, is the rent which we pay for the flat to be treated as benefits in kind? Should the rent be added to the cash wages when we calculate the PAYE deductions for income tax and NI? Or is there a special legislation dealing with such employment where accommodation is provided?
    2- Is there a case for a claim against the head lease holder to recover the monies which he deducted as "accommodation offset"? If yes, how many years can I go back? 6 or 12?

Many thanks for your help.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Who can become a director of a RMC?
    by eagle2
    A Company should always comply with its Articles so if regulation 47 of Table A applies, it should still hold AGMs. It needs to amend its Articles if it does not wish to hold AGMs any more....
    26-07-2021, 11:07 AM
  • Who can become a director of a RMC?
    by David Mc
    Hi, Could anyone advise who can actually become a director of a RMC. We are a block of 30 flats, each flat has one share in the RMC. We employ a managing agent. The RMC holds the freehold to the property. The MA is the company secretary.

There are currently 2 directors, although...
    23-07-2021, 09:58 AM
  • Reply to Advice on flat sale
    by Ionela Preda
    Hi,

this is what I thought about restrictions…

so, the Freeholder only asked me tell him at the end who the new owner is.

he does not want to take part in the company.

how difficult would be for me to provide:

1. Deed of covenant...
    26-07-2021, 09:43 AM
  • Advice on flat sale
    by Ionela Preda
    Guys, hi!

I represent a RTM Company, I am the Director of it, 11 flats in our block.
    He have some people willing to sell their flat, and I am really “flat” on the legal aspect;

I need to give them: the Deed of Covenant, the Assignment Pack, I need to lift and re-apply...
    24-07-2021, 15:54 PM
  • Reply to Who can become a director of a RMC?
    by David Mc
    I'll look into going the reg 93 route. It's not mentioned in our A of A so has not been excluded or modified. Not sure MA is even aware of it.

No mention of Reg 47 in our A of A but still think recent regulation has made AGMs no longer compulsory for RMCs.

Thanks for all your...
    26-07-2021, 07:19 AM
  • Reply to Water damage caused by ineffective vent - who is responsible?
    by eagle2
    What does the lease say? Unless there is a communal ventilation system and the lease requires the freeholder to service it, the cost is likely to fall upon the leaseholder.
    26-07-2021, 07:00 AM
  • Water damage caused by ineffective vent - who is responsible?
    by mhuk
    Hello,

This relates to a leasehold apartment.

So my tenant suddenly spotted some brown marks on the bedroom ceiling yesterday. Watermarks for sure which are not getting bigger.

Someone looked at it today and it appears that the leak has come inwards from the outside...
    15-07-2021, 16:48 PM
  • Reply to Water damage caused by ineffective vent - who is responsible?
    by mhuk
    The vents are in a new apartment block. Of course, they were from the beginning. They are built into the building and everyone has identical vents....
    25-07-2021, 20:47 PM
  • Reply to Advice on flat sale
    by Gordon999
    After the RTM has taken over administration of the service charge account , the freeholder is left with collecting the ground rent and forfeiture of lease. Usually the solicitor for the prospective buyer will be asking if any service charge owing by the seller and any expensive maintenance work planned...
    25-07-2021, 16:57 PM
  • Reply to Communal area
    by Starlane
    Yes I get that Andrew thank you it could be a situation jumping from one dodgy ship to another dodgy ship, I have weighed this up pros and cons and yes bills could increase I can see that especially when no repair and maintenance of the building has been done for years and the place needs a number of...
    25-07-2021, 14:38 PM
Working...
X