ICO Data protection fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ICO Data protection fee

I have received a letter from ICO informing me that we need to pay a fee. Our managing agent says we must decide if we want to pay and offers no advice. Do other RMCs pay this?

There is a registration self assessment on the ICO web site. I suggest that you complete it and keep a copy if it states that you do not need to pay a registration fee.

Comment

Thanks. I have noted the registration assessment on ICO website but I ask if others have received such demands. We do not actually hold any personal data on computer, that's why we employ a managing agent with company secretarial responsibility. We probably don't have to register, but that is not clear. I have canvassed views from other local flats but no one else has been approached by ICO. I was asking if anyone on the forum has paid ICO for data protection registration.

Comment

You are absolutely right, it is far from clear. If the agent keeps the records and the agent is registered, there should be no need for the RMC to register. From what I can gather, most people are confused and decide to pay the fee because it is a small amount.. That is why I suggested that you complete the self assessment which will probably state that you have no need to register and if it does, retain a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by parklands View Post
          Thanks. I have noted the registration assessment on ICO website but I ask if others have received such demands. We do not actually hold any personal data on computer, that's why we employ a managing agent with company secretarial responsibility. We probably don't have to register, but that is not clear. I have canvassed views from other local flats but no one else has been approached by ICO. I was asking if anyone on the forum has paid ICO for data protection registration.
          As has been pointed out on here many times - if you have a lessee's email address on your laptop, tablet, phone, or watch then you are holding personal details electronically.
          The registration may also apply to paper records.
          It's £35 by direct debit or risk £5000 fine

Comment

Thanks very much for your advice. I feel sure that all the directors have each other's email addresses and that of the managing agent and don't rely on their memories!

I will advise them to pay the £40.

Comment

There is no problem with volunteering to register but those interested should refer to the scope of the Act in Chapter 1 and the exemptions in Schedules 2,3,4 and 11.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X