Partial v Fully qualified covenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partial v Fully qualified covenant

I am looking to buy a flat I can there are two types of qualified covenants (aside from an absolute covenant) having down loaded a few from Land Reg

• Partially qualified: e.g. covenants “not to use premises other than a
    restaurant without consent”, “not to make structural alterations without
    consent”, “not to underlet part of the premises without consent”;

• Fully qualified: e.g. covenants “not to use premises other than a
    restaurant without consent, such consent not to be unreasonably
    withheld”, “not to make structural alterations without consent , such
    consent not to be unreasonably withheld”, “not to underlet part of the
    premises without consent, such consent not to be unreasonably
    withheld”

So far so good.....but is there any general rule or trend as to which type of covenant was in vogue in leases written during the last 100 years?

Is it fair to say that FULLY qualified covenants tend to have been only included in the last 50 years?

Or it it entirely random ad hoc ie no general rule ?

Thanks

In practice, except in relation to agricultural tenancies, the distinction you make is of no practical application because in the case of covenants relating to alienation, improvements and user section 19 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927 applies. The section provides that where the covenant stipulates that the action is not to be done without consent, the consent is not to be unreasonably withheld or delayed.

There is no general rule as to what you will find in any lease.

Comment

Thanks for this clarification.

By implication if both fully and partially qualified covenants are caught by "improvements" provision and I wanted to make a structural alteration within the demise this would suggest that the landlord could not charge a premium (other than survey and any reasonable legal cost's)?

Comment

Correct. Here is chapter and verse (section 19(2) Landlord and Tenant Act 1927):

In all leases whether made before or after the commencement of this Act containing a covenant condition or agreement against the making of improvements without a licence or consent, such covenant condition or agreement shall be deemed, notwithstanding any express provision to the contrary, to be subject to a proviso that such licence or consent is not to be unreasonably withheld; but this proviso does not preclude the right to require as a condition of such licence or consent the payment of a reasonable sum in respect of any damage to or diminution in the value of the premises or any neighbouring premises belonging to the landlord, and of any legal or other expenses properly incurred in connection with such licence or consent nor, in the case of an improvement which does not add to the letting value of the holding, does it preclude the right to require as a condition of such licence or consent, where such a requirement would be reasonable, an undertaking on the part of the tenant to reinstate the premises in the condition in which they were before the improvement was executed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Who can become a director of a RMC?
          by fos333
          Hi,

If no modification is shown to regulation 88 requiring a director to be a member, then anyone that meets the requirements of regulation 88 can be nominated and consent to act to be a director.

Therefore 3b in the preliminary section should have no bearing, others may offer...
          25-07-2021, 11:40 AM
        • Who can become a director of a RMC?
          by David Mc
          Hi, Could anyone advise who can actually become a director of a RMC. We are a block of 30 flats, each flat has one share in the RMC. We employ a managing agent. The RMC holds the freehold to the property. The MA is the company secretary.

There are currently 2 directors, although...
          23-07-2021, 09:58 AM
        • Reply to Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land
          by scot22
          More knowledgeable people than me have already posted.
          My view is if it is not permitted in the lease then not allowed to have table and chairs. If only access permitted then only access accepted. You can't cherry pick which parts of the lease you wish to obey.
          25-07-2021, 11:35 AM
        • Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land
          by Joubert
          I am a director of a freehold company which comprises six leasehold flats in a converted building.

The leaseholder of the lower ground flat has taken to placing a small table and two chairs outside her front door for use when the weather is good. They items are not causing any obstruction....
          24-07-2021, 17:06 PM
          by ram
          It is not normal to have table and chairs outside a front door.

I would have thought at a minimum. you should be stating that they only have the right to pass and re-pass over the common ground in front of the house, they should not make table and chairs a permanent occurance, I.E. to take
          25-07-2021, 10:07 AM
          by nukecad
          TBH it sounds like the 'fellow director' doesn't like the noise being made, and so instead of having a word with the neighbour is going over the top and looking for a sledgehammer to crack a very small nut by trying to get the 'force' of the freehold company on his side.

It's a simple neighbour...
          25-07-2021, 09:39 AM
          by Lawcruncher
          Not enough to amount to adverse possession and in any event you cannot be in adverse possession against your landlord: However, after a period any land occupied may be treated as part of the land leased. It has to be doubted though that there is sufficient possession for that. Make a diary note to review...
          25-07-2021, 09:00 AM
        • Reply to Who can become a director of a RMC?
          by David Mc
          Hi Foss

Our A of A under the Directors heading has 6 items listed 11 to 16

11a deals with clause 75 Table A not applying to the company.
          11b number of directors, minimum2
          12 deals with clause 84 Table A
          13 Clause 87 does not apply
          15 Clause 88 unsound...
          25-07-2021, 08:29 AM
        • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
          by ram
          [/FONT][/SIZE]
          • 1) Your possition - and mine, is NOT permitting letting will enhance the properties.
          • 2) Bad tenants DO adversely affect property values - normally.
          • 3) Your lease is not defective, so no need to change. And Judges HAVE gone along with the freeholder keeping the "no letting"
          24-07-2021, 23:42 PM
        • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
          by witsend55
          Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
          24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
        Working...
        X