How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?

I live in a share of freehold (block of 5 flats) and we are currently paying around 6k per flat for management/bills per annum. No concierge but there's a lift. It's an external management company that we outsource to. Thing is, I feel that they were coming up with rather expensive quotes and so I've personally sorted out all relevant insurances and other bits and bobs for the block. We all get along well and I've lived here the longest. I've managed to save us all many hundreds by going out and looking for better solutions to counter some of the quotes the agents gave provided.

Part of me is wondering how hard it would be to take over the management - I have a property btl company in any case - and could perhaps bill it to my company; and all of us would still be quids in as the intention is merely to cover cost for my time or if I outsource parts of it. I've put this to the other freeholder and as long as I do it right, they are happy to go along. But I'm wondering if it's worth my while now, to gain that experience or just to forget it.

We need some more information please. Are the leases directly between the freeholder and the leaseholders or is there an RMC involved?
    A block of 5 flats can probably be managed by the leaseholders themselves, especially if you are all contributing and you all get along well. The problem is when one of you wishes to charge for your time, you will be regarded as operating a business and you will need to comply with all kinds of legislation and it really is not worthwhile if you are managing one block.

Comment

I think £6K service charge per flat is "over the top" for no concierge onsite service. .

I think the freehold company can appoint you as a managing agent for the service charge account on a one year trial basis .and you can charge say £250 - £300 per flat or whatever sum is agreeable.

You need to keep records of the service charge account and separate bank account, billing each flat for annual service charge payment and probably spend about 1 - 2 hours per month doing the management work and signing cheques to pay the bills etc.

Your block can join the FPRA and you get advice on how to manage the building.

Comment

eagle2,

The leasehold is between the leaseholders with each flat owning 20%. We have simply engaged the services of a management company. I take your point. That's fair. Besides me, don't think anyone else will want to manage it for now.

Comment

Gordon999,

Thanks for that. Not sure if I'm up to it but will certainly look into it. That's a good way to go about it though.

Comment

I suggest that you arrange a meeting of leaseholders and try to share the workload of managing the block. If you explain that you are trying to reduce the costs, it should be received well and you should receive a positive response. You should expect it to take longer than 1 or 2 hours a month and considerably more than that in the early stages,

Comment

Sounds lke you only have 2 Directors, is this correct.

If the block ( 5 flats ) is contracting out the management of the block, And you will be contracting out to a managing Agent , not a company then there must ba a management company with all 5 leaseholdrs having shares in that company, and between 1 and 5 shareholders will be directors.
              You will be known as a R.m.c, ( Resident management company )
              and on the overview at the companies house website for your company, it will state

Nature of business (SIC)
              98000 - Residents property management

If so, you already have a Management company, if you have shares - you have shares in the Management company that farmed out the running of the place to an agent.

Just have a word with the directors, and say, current management company seem to be ripping us off ( May be ligitimate maintenence costs -- but maybe not ) We must sack th current company, and either you two run the company, or find another agent to manage the place.

You are entitled - by law, to ask to see all the invoices for work done over the years. If the agents refuse, they are breaking the law ater 28 days if they refuse. -- That's your first job --- see if you ARE being ripped off.

The Directors control the agent, not the other way round, so if agent is ripping you off, - sack them.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Communal area
                by Starlane
                Hi and thank you in advance for your help and guidance ....a letter has been sent as a last resort from my solicitor to the freeholder and the directors. Basically they lack the knowledge and experience to basically understand the lease let alone anything else like RICS code and L& T acts etc.......and...
                16-07-2021, 23:09 PM
              • Reply to Communal area
                by Starlane
                Yes I get that Andrew thank you it could be a situation jumping from one dodgy ship to another dodgy ship, I have weighed this up pros and cons and yes bills could increase I can see that especially when no repair and maintenance of the building has been done for years and the place needs a number of...
                25-07-2021, 14:38 PM
              • Reply to Advice on flat sale
                by MrSoffit
                Hi. As a director of an RTMC with a managing agent in toe we can leave the sales pack work to our managing agent, but there is one point that doesn't make sense to me here. Unless the lease requires the seller to get prior consent to assign -- as apart from the more standard requirement for the buyer...
                25-07-2021, 14:31 PM
              • Advice on flat sale
                by Ionela Preda
                Guys, hi!

I represent a RTM Company, I am the Director of it, 11 flats in our block.
                He have some people willing to sell their flat, and I am really “flat” on the legal aspect;

I need to give them: the Deed of Covenant, the Assignment Pack, I need to lift and re-apply...
                24-07-2021, 15:54 PM
              • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                by ram
                The Directors must inform the Managing agents that "they must adhere to the lease, and that the management company has not voted with a majority in favour of allowing the lease to be changed, therefore please continue to enforce the lease" as the directors so stipulate....
                25-07-2021, 13:46 PM
              • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                by witsend55
                Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
                24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
              • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                by witsend55
                Thank you everyone. The thoughts here are in accordance with my own gut feeling, that our flat management co. should leave things as they are. I have been very worried where it all might lead to if we got psychologically bulldozed by the seller into agreeing to such a major change in the residency structure....
                25-07-2021, 13:29 PM
              • Garden Furniture
                by Sandy1986
                We have been told (yes I know lol) by the management company that we can't have benches in the communal gardens due to health and safety. Sounds like a load of hogwash to me. Has anybody had problems with this?
                21-07-2021, 20:20 PM
              • Reply to Garden Furniture
                by Macromia
                That could be completely valid - although it does depend on circumstances (including the answers to some of the questions that others have already asked).

The management company, on the freeholder's behalf if there is a separate freeholder, has a responsibility for the health and safety...
                25-07-2021, 13:04 PM
              • Reply to Who can become a director of a RMC?
                by fos333
                Hi,

If no modification is shown to regulation 88 requiring a director to be a member, then anyone that meets the requirements of regulation 88 can be nominated and consent to act to be a director.

Therefore 3b in the preliminary section should have no bearing, others may offer...
                25-07-2021, 11:40 AM
              Working...
              X