Understand the role of joint freeholder and leaseholder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understand the role of joint freeholder and leaseholder

I am very close to the exchange date on selling my flat. I am selling it with a share of the freehold and have not charged for this because we got the asking price. The solicitor has drawn up a lease for the buyers of my flat, with a 125 year lease and £250 p/a ground rent.

I am confused as to the relationship as they are both, a joint freeholder and have a lease.

The solicitor has had a query from the buyers solicitor, asking why they are paying the ground rent if they are joint freeholders and for this to removed from the lease. Also, that my solicitors wants to the ground rent was "payable to only you"

I am none the wiser and hope this will not hold up the exchange.

It sounds like the buyers don't understand that leaseholder and freeholder are two separate roles.

As a leaseholder they are required to pay ground rent if this is in the lease.
    As someone who has a share of the freehold they would then be entitled to receive a share of all the ground rent received by the freeholder. I'm not really sure how a lease could be written in a way that means ground rent isn't paid to all those who have a share of freehold, but I guess that this might be possible.

If the leases for the property don't allow for all potential freeholder costs to be recovered from leasholders, ground rent that is paid can be useful to cover these costs. Having a requirement for leaseholders to pay ground rent also affects how much may need to be paid for lease extensions (again with anything paid usually shared between all those with a share of freehold).

If the buyers want a lease without ground rent they should expect to pay slightly more for this.

Comment

Seems a very strange move from your solicitor, did they not ask you first ?
      How many flats in the building ? Why are they issuing a new lease at all ?

Comment

So there are two flats. Originally I owned the entire freehold and there was only a lease on the basement flat, which was sold off in the 1980's and a lease created. However, my flat did not have a lease as I couldn't grant a lease to myself.
        Now I am selling my flat and the new owners are getting a share of the freehold, so a lease has to be created.
        The question is do the still have to pay the ground rent and why are they asking to have it removed on the lease?

Comment

Why would you put in ground rent that you pay to yourself ? With just two flats it should be a peppercorn and ideally 999 years , otherwise it will cost your buyer to extend the lease in future.
          The whole idea of owning the freehold is to get rid of these issues.

Comment

This is another example of a new thread that would perhaps have been better added as a continuation of a previous thread.

If I remember correctly the OP is selling only a share of the freehold while retaining a share themselves (and perhaps creating an intermediate lease for the other property).
            If the buyer still has to pay ground rent, and has to pay a premium if they wish to extend the lease in the future the OP will benefit by receiving a share of that.

Giving the buyer a share of freehold with a lease that has no ground rent and a very long lease only benefits the buyer - it is up to the buyer and the OP as the seller to agree what is being sold for whatever price the buyer is willing to pay.

Comment

I take it there is chance basement flat could go for lease extension and there is a considerable amount to gain.

​​​​​​yes, they could still pay ground rent or not - it is your decision, equally they could pull out of the transaction.

Comment

I think the problem occured when the lease was drawn up. originally it was intended to be sold as a leasehold but the sale fell through and all other potential buyers wanted a share of the freehold.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Who can become a director of a RMC?
                  by fos333
                  Hi,

If no modification is shown to regulation 88 requiring a director to be a member, then anyone that meets the requirements of regulation 88 can be nominated and consent to act to be a director.

Therefore 3b in the preliminary section should have no bearing, others may offer...
                  25-07-2021, 11:40 AM
                • Who can become a director of a RMC?
                  by David Mc
                  Hi, Could anyone advise who can actually become a director of a RMC. We are a block of 30 flats, each flat has one share in the RMC. We employ a managing agent. The RMC holds the freehold to the property. The MA is the company secretary.

There are currently 2 directors, although...
                  23-07-2021, 09:58 AM
                • Reply to Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land
                  by scot22
                  More knowledgeable people than me have already posted.
                  My view is if it is not permitted in the lease then not allowed to have table and chairs. If only access permitted then only access accepted. You can't cherry pick which parts of the lease you wish to obey.
                  25-07-2021, 11:35 AM
                • Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land
                  by Joubert
                  I am a director of a freehold company which comprises six leasehold flats in a converted building.

The leaseholder of the lower ground flat has taken to placing a small table and two chairs outside her front door for use when the weather is good. They items are not causing any obstruction....
                  24-07-2021, 17:06 PM
                  by ram
                  It is not normal to have table and chairs outside a front door.

I would have thought at a minimum. you should be stating that they only have the right to pass and re-pass over the common ground in front of the house, they should not make table and chairs a permanent occurance, I.E. to take
                  25-07-2021, 10:07 AM
                  by nukecad
                  TBH it sounds like the 'fellow director' doesn't like the noise being made, and so instead of having a word with the neighbour is going over the top and looking for a sledgehammer to crack a very small nut by trying to get the 'force' of the freehold company on his side.

It's a simple neighbour...
                  25-07-2021, 09:39 AM
                  by Lawcruncher
                  Not enough to amount to adverse possession and in any event you cannot be in adverse possession against your landlord: However, after a period any land occupied may be treated as part of the land leased. It has to be doubted though that there is sufficient possession for that. Make a diary note to review...
                  25-07-2021, 09:00 AM
                • Reply to Who can become a director of a RMC?
                  by David Mc
                  Hi Foss

Our A of A under the Directors heading has 6 items listed 11 to 16

11a deals with clause 75 Table A not applying to the company.
                  11b number of directors, minimum2
                  12 deals with clause 84 Table A
                  13 Clause 87 does not apply
                  15 Clause 88 unsound...
                  25-07-2021, 08:29 AM
                • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                  by witsend55
                  Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
                  24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
                • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                  by ram
                  [/FONT][/SIZE]
                  • 1) Your possition - and mine, is NOT permitting letting will enhance the properties.
                  • 2) Bad tenants DO adversely affect property values - normally.
                  • 3) Your lease is not defective, so no need to change. And Judges HAVE gone along with the freeholder keeping the "no letting"
                  24-07-2021, 23:42 PM
                Working...
                X