Buying building freehold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying building freehold

I have a flat for 16 years which has a 900 year lease. The freeholder has never charged service charge although it is in the lease.
    the roof is leaking and my 2 neighbours don’t want to contribute, upstairs is rented and the LL wants to do minimum. We should also have proper buildings insurance.
    I wrote and asked the freeholder to sell me the whole thing so I can sort things out. They wanted an offer but it has zero value.
    I have also asked them to sort out the roof as my flat walls are wet and mouldy. They write back and said I was in breach of my lease as I’ve never paid my (never demanded) service charge and that they also would not be providing insurance until it is paid.
    i’m not sure what to do now?

You have a number of options:

1. Negotiate with the freeholder.
    There is no obligation for them to sell you the freehold as an individual but they might sell you it if you make them an offer. It's not entirely correct to say that the freehold has no value - it has some sort of value to you, even if only because you would then have control of management of the building.
    Depending on the wording in the lease, you may be able to use the fact that they are in breach of the lease by not maintaining the building as some sort of threat to help 'negotiations', but it wouldn't be wise to start with that!

2. Take the freeholder to county court to try and get an order for them to maintain the building properly in accordance with the lease (they would argue that you are in breach by never having paid service charges, but if you can convince the court that nothing has been demanded that argument should fail).
    This would likely be time-consuming, expensive, and take a while to happen.

3. Ask a tribunal to appoint a manager.
    This is often not recommended, because even appointed managers are often ineffective and expensive, but if you can't get any other action it might be your best approach. Again this is time-consuming and would not happen immediately.

4. Get enough support from other leaseholders to enable compulsory purchase of the freehold.
    In this case a tribunal can be asked to set the premium that is payable - but it sounds like you won't get sufficient support.

5. Carry out the necessarily repairs, and arrange insurance yourself.
    You would first need to give the freehold sufficient warning that this is what you intend to do and time to carry out the necessary work themselves.
    You would be able to try to offset anything you pay out against any future demands for service charges from the freeholder - or to take them to small claims court to recover any amount in excess of what your share would have been under the lease.

I would definitely suggest that you try to find an insurer who will insure your flat.

Comment

Here is my suggestion :

1. Make a complaint ( about freeholder refusing to repair the roof ) to your local MP and ask MP to make a written complaint ( the leasehold property system does not work ) to the Housing Minister.

2. Make an application to the Local Magistrates Court for an order on the freeholder to repair the roof .

3. The freehold title for a building with 3 flats on 999 years leases, may be valued at 18 x annual ground rent .
      What is the annual ground rent paid by the 3 flats ?

Comment

Basically as you have a useless freeholder and leaseholders who don't care, I would buy the freehold and enforce the lease.

It is not for faint-hearted though and could afford the repairs and taking everybody to court?

Comment

Make a sensible offer for the real world value of the freehold which even on the scant info given is way more than zero.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Garden Furniture
            by Sandy1986
            We have been told (yes I know lol) by the management company that we can't have benches in the communal gardens due to health and safety. Sounds like a load of hogwash to me. Has anybody had problems with this?
            21-07-2021, 20:20 PM
          • Reply to Garden Furniture
            by Macromia
            That could be completely valid - although it does depend on circumstances (including the answers to some of the questions that others have already asked).

The management company, on the freeholder's behalf if there is a separate freeholder, has a responsibility for the health and safety...
            25-07-2021, 13:04 PM
          • Who can become a director of a RMC?
            by David Mc
            Hi, Could anyone advise who can actually become a director of a RMC. We are a block of 30 flats, each flat has one share in the RMC. We employ a managing agent. The RMC holds the freehold to the property. The MA is the company secretary.

There are currently 2 directors, although...
            23-07-2021, 09:58 AM
          • Reply to Who can become a director of a RMC?
            by fos333
            Hi,

If no modification is shown to regulation 88 requiring a director to be a member, then anyone that meets the requirements of regulation 88 can be nominated and consent to act to be a director.

Therefore 3b in the preliminary section should have no bearing, others may offer...
            25-07-2021, 11:40 AM
          • Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land
            by Joubert
            I am a director of a freehold company which comprises six leasehold flats in a converted building.

The leaseholder of the lower ground flat has taken to placing a small table and two chairs outside her front door for use when the weather is good. They items are not causing any obstruction....
            24-07-2021, 17:06 PM
          • Reply to Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land
            by scot22
            More knowledgeable people than me have already posted.
            My view is if it is not permitted in the lease then not allowed to have table and chairs. If only access permitted then only access accepted. You can't cherry pick which parts of the lease you wish to obey.
            25-07-2021, 11:35 AM
            by ram
            It is not normal to have table and chairs outside a front door.

I would have thought at a minimum. you should be stating that they only have the right to pass and re-pass over the common ground in front of the house, they should not make table and chairs a permanent occurance, I.E. to take
            25-07-2021, 10:07 AM
            by nukecad
            TBH it sounds like the 'fellow director' doesn't like the noise being made, and so instead of having a word with the neighbour is going over the top and looking for a sledgehammer to crack a very small nut by trying to get the 'force' of the freehold company on his side.

It's a simple neighbour...
            25-07-2021, 09:39 AM
            by Lawcruncher
            Not enough to amount to adverse possession and in any event you cannot be in adverse possession against your landlord: However, after a period any land occupied may be treated as part of the land leased. It has to be doubted though that there is sufficient possession for that. Make a diary note to review...
            25-07-2021, 09:00 AM
          • Reply to Who can become a director of a RMC?
            by David Mc
            Hi Foss

Our A of A under the Directors heading has 6 items listed 11 to 16

11a deals with clause 75 Table A not applying to the company.
            11b number of directors, minimum2
            12 deals with clause 84 Table A
            13 Clause 87 does not apply
            15 Clause 88 unsound...
            25-07-2021, 08:29 AM
          Working...
          X