Drainage issue on flat - leaseholder or freeholder responsible ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drainage issue on flat - leaseholder or freeholder responsible ?

Hi,

Unfortunately i'm the freeholder on a property with 4 flats, 2 of which i own.

I've noticed one of the flats i don't own is emptying it's sink waste into the rainwater drainpipe which led to a trap getting blocked with grease.

He needs to get the pipe re-routed to the rear of his flat into the dirty water drainpipe which i've asked him to do but he claims it my responsibility. This problem has been like this for years and before my time.

What is the best way to proceed here as i'd imagine as always there's a fair cost involved and the blockage he caused has already left my significantly out of pocket due to a tenant moving out because of the foul smell.

Thanks in advance.
    Mike.

If someone is tipping fat down a sink drain it's going to get blocked somewhere.
    I'm not sure it's better for it to be the foul water pipe to be honest.

The key is for the tenant not to tip their fat down their sink and if they block it again they'll have to pay for it to be cleared (unless there are other flats who's sinks empty into the same pipe).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As above. And who built the drain arrangement?

Comment

Expediancy would say get it done and charge it to service charge, that way you'll only pay 50 % of the cost anyway.

Comment

Thanks Guys - do consumer grease traps exist for residential properties ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X