Retention, what pitfalls should I be aware of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retention, what pitfalls should I be aware of?

Hello everyone,

I'm close to exchange on a property however there are some building work that the sellers promised to do but remained undone. The sellers have agreed that we can have a retention to do it post completion (so that we can meet the stamp duty deadline). They have found a contractor and get some survey done.

This is a completely alien situation for me. I'm not looking to get any money out of this work, however at the same time want to make sure that I'm not liable for any of it.

How the retention clause should be, what pitfalls should I be aware of? Hope to hear your advice.

Your conveyancer should negotiate the retention clause with the seller's conveyancer.

The amount of the retention needs to be sufficient so that if the work is not carried out you have enough money to pay for the work and a bit more if you can get it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leaseholder in breach of lease. Causing serious problems. Can we do anything?
      by HazeltonLane
      Hi all, I have a huge problem and am hoping for some input. The problem is as follows:

Our block of 25 flats has four flats that are rented out to social housing tenants via a housing association that owns the leases. The rest of the leases are privately owned.

We have never...
      24-09-2021, 10:05 AM
    • Right to Manage Costs
      by Pariah81
      Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
      21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
    • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
      by sgclacy
      Reminds me of a riddle from the book by Feldman and Spratt - Five Frogs on a log

Five frogs are sitting on a log.
      Four decide to jump off. How many are left?
      Answer: Five
      Why?
      Because there's a difference between deciding and doing....
      23-09-2021, 20:14 PM
      by Gordon999
      Yes , many years ago I was organiser to buy the freehold , some leaseholders agreed to participate but when the time came to pay their share of the purchase funds, they dropped out.....
      23-09-2021, 19:50 PM
      by lampshade
      ERMmmm....it would be very interesting especially as our Freeholder, who owned the company that Managed the building gave the contract to another fringe company, and the fees doubled to £10k pa....and if 12 of us leave that will cause fee problems for the remaining 2 flats, but not our problem....will...
      23-09-2021, 17:50 PM
      by Section20z
      Yes, you should be able to. We did something similar for one of two blocks with same name just different flat numbers. First step is to get 6+ owners to take part and form a company to serve the notice. A reluctant freeholder will fight every step so you may need professional help to get it right....
      23-09-2021, 17:35 PM
      by lampshade
      Interesting....I have one lease in a total of 3 blocks totalling 34 flats. All managed under one managing agent appointed by the FH.
      But each block, whilst seemingly are all connected there are 3 separate blocks of about 11 flats in each. Each block has both front and back entrance, and unique...
      23-09-2021, 15:29 PM
    • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
      by eagle2
      You can insist on a summarised time record showing the number of hours spent by each grade of solicitor on the different aspects of the work involved. You can then compare it with your own solicitor's time records in order to raise a specific complaint.

Intead though, I suggest that you...
      23-09-2021, 14:42 PM
    • Reasonable solicitor fees?
      by LizLease
      After six long and tedious months of negotiations to extend the lase on a flat, we are nearing completion and I have been sent the final balance.

I was shocked to be presented with a £2,700 bill for the freeholder's solicitor fees. When I first inquired about renewing the lease, the freeholder...
      21-09-2021, 17:17 PM
    • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
      by sgclacy
      Does that include the surveyor fee ?...
      23-09-2021, 14:36 PM
    Working...
    X