Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire escape replacement

Hello,

I'm one of 5 leaseholders in a 4-story house that has been converted to flats. I am in the basement flat. The fire escape needs replacing as it is very old and falling to bits. As I do not need or have access to this fire escape would it still be my responsibility to pay towards this job generally? The only reason I ask is, when the entrance way/common parts were re-carpeted/redecorated I was told I didn't need to contribute as I do not use them. I have my own separate entrance to the basement. So it made me wonder about the fire escape? Thanks.

The answer to a question like this will always be "It depends what it says in your lease".

Some leases will be specific about what things each individual leaseholder has to contribute towards, others will split all costs between all leaseholders in a block. The fact that you don't use, or have access to, the fire escape doesn't automatically mean that you don't have to contribute towards the cost of replacing it.

Comment

Thanks for your response! I've checked my lease, and it just seems to generally say that I am responsible for "one fifth of the estate expenses". All I could find mentioning the fire escape was the following... does this make sense to you as I'm not sure I can make sense of it myself: "That the Lessor will during the continuance of the said term keep the exterior of the Building and all additions thereto and all the walls, fences, foundations, sewers, drains, water tanks, cisterns, party walls and structures including but without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing the FIRE ESCAPE if applicable for which the Lessees of the flats are NOT responsible roof ways, gutters and channels thereof and the hallways, staircases and other common parts of the Building in good and substantial repair and condition".

Comment

By what is written you are exempt from paying for the fire escape as it is not applicable to you apartment.

Comment

Well that's what I thought possibly, but it's so clumsily written it's kind of hard to tell?

Comment

I think "the fire escape if applicable" means "the fire escape of there is one".

Comment

Thanks, but do you think it's saying us lessees ARE or AREN'T responsible for the fire escape?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharon View Post
                Thanks, but do you think it's saying us lessees ARE or AREN'T responsible for the fire escape?
                You probably are, but it depends on what the definition of "estate expenses" is in the lease.

Comment

Thanks. I've sent a copy of the lease to Leasehold Advisory Service to try and 'translate' and clarify things for me. There is so much gobbledegook in it that I just can't get my head around!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X