Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire escape replacement

Hello,

I'm one of 5 leaseholders in a 4-story house that has been converted to flats. I am in the basement flat. The fire escape needs replacing as it is very old and falling to bits. As I do not need or have access to this fire escape would it still be my responsibility to pay towards this job generally? The only reason I ask is, when the entrance way/common parts were re-carpeted/redecorated I was told I didn't need to contribute as I do not use them. I have my own separate entrance to the basement. So it made me wonder about the fire escape? Thanks.

The answer to a question like this will always be "It depends what it says in your lease".

Some leases will be specific about what things each individual leaseholder has to contribute towards, others will split all costs between all leaseholders in a block. The fact that you don't use, or have access to, the fire escape doesn't automatically mean that you don't have to contribute towards the cost of replacing it.

Comment

Thanks for your response! I've checked my lease, and it just seems to generally say that I am responsible for "one fifth of the estate expenses". All I could find mentioning the fire escape was the following... does this make sense to you as I'm not sure I can make sense of it myself: "That the Lessor will during the continuance of the said term keep the exterior of the Building and all additions thereto and all the walls, fences, foundations, sewers, drains, water tanks, cisterns, party walls and structures including but without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing the FIRE ESCAPE if applicable for which the Lessees of the flats are NOT responsible roof ways, gutters and channels thereof and the hallways, staircases and other common parts of the Building in good and substantial repair and condition".

Comment

By what is written you are exempt from paying for the fire escape as it is not applicable to you apartment.

Comment

Well that's what I thought possibly, but it's so clumsily written it's kind of hard to tell?

Comment

I think "the fire escape if applicable" means "the fire escape of there is one".

Comment

Thanks, but do you think it's saying us lessees ARE or AREN'T responsible for the fire escape?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharon View Post
                Thanks, but do you think it's saying us lessees ARE or AREN'T responsible for the fire escape?
                You probably are, but it depends on what the definition of "estate expenses" is in the lease.

Comment

Thanks. I've sent a copy of the lease to Leasehold Advisory Service to try and 'translate' and clarify things for me. There is so much gobbledegook in it that I just can't get my head around!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• RMC who decides annual budget
                    by scot22
                    Is the budget a board of directors decision or MUST it be ratified by shareholders at the A.G.M ?

If so would it be an ordinary resolution or special requiring 75% to be ratified ?
                    02-08-2021, 10:55 AM
                  • Reply to RMC who decides annual budget
                    by ram
                    I may have shares in B.T. so can I object to their spending of £ millions on below ? which are not needed, as there are plenty of other firms doing it ?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...low-spots.html

I feel it
                    03-08-2021, 15:42 PM
                  • Is applying to FTT to appoint manager my best option?
                    by Tom H
                    I own a long leasehold in a purpose-built flat comprising of just two flats. The freeholder also owns and resides in the flat that is directly above me.
                    Despite numerous attempts to get him to carry out essential maintenance to the property as per the provisions in the lease (about a third of...
                    03-08-2021, 15:31 PM
                  • Removing a director
                    by LaraJara21
                    Hi all.

The residents management company is currently being run by a director who is very uncooperative. After 2 years of asking for a meeting, asking for copies of accounts, the insurance policy, just anythings in relation to the limited company, he refuses and continues to be very difficult....
                    03-08-2021, 14:21 PM
                  • Reply to Removing a director
                    by eagle2
                    You can arrange a meeting of members but you must include on the agenda that you intend to remove the director. You must give special notice to the director that he is subject to the vote and you must allow him to make a statement at the meeting, Make sure that you have the minimum number of directors...
                    03-08-2021, 15:05 PM
                  • Reply to Can directors put taking legal advice through the service charge?
                    by Starlane
                    I think as RAM was saying Eagle2 , I don't think a member would be liable for the costs and I have put forward that It is important to bear in mind that the award of costs is always at the discretion of the court.

I stated " including but not limited to making an application for an...
                    03-08-2021, 13:41 PM
                  • Can directors put taking legal advice through the service charge?
                    by Starlane
                    Hello, I hope your week is going well! I firstly want to thank some of the contributors in this site as you have been very helpful with sharing your experiences and knowledge.

So the situation is..I have sent the landlord company and its directors a preliminary notice.I also tried to...
                    02-08-2021, 21:03 PM
                    by eagle2
                    The agent should never be allowed the freedom to set the budget, it should recommend expenditure but it should never be the one to set it. Otherwise, a substantial part of the expenditure is likely to end up in the hands of that agent and its connected contractors,

The agent should always...
                    03-08-2021, 11:25 AM
                    by MrSoffit
                    As already said, company directors are responsible to manage. If the directors do not table a resolution invited members to vote on a budget (and they would be fools to do so), the members must use a special resolution to force the directors to a different outcome. Unless the articles of the RMC say...
                    03-08-2021, 11:07 AM
                  • Section 20 notice / repairing obligation
                    by Grah8m
                    REPAIRING OBLIGATION / SECTION 20 NOTICE
                    Our residential long lease does not impose Landlord Repairing Obligations - rather underlease provides procedures enabling any one of convenantees (5 x underlessees - 1 x "Landlord"/Underlessor) may initiate repairing maintenance works and...
                    01-08-2021, 13:59 PM
                  Working...
                  X