Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Title deeds don't match floor plan

Hi everyone!

I am a first-time buyer and saw a flat that I was interested in. It has a 999 year old lease. It is on sale through probate as the previous owner died.

The problem with it is that there seems to be an extra bedroom added by the leaseholder and that is not reflected on the floor plans and title deeds of the flat.

Apparently, the freeholder consented to this alteration before.

The flat was built in the 1980s.

There was a previous sale and it fell through because the solicitors were unable to change the title deeds.

I want to ask what needs to be done, if I make an offer to buy the flat? This title defect seems difficult to rectify. Or is it actually a simple matter?

I'm not sure why the previous sale fell through.

Best to speak with your solicitor regarding changing the title deeds, as you would need to provide the floor plan etc. I'm assuming the new bedroom is only a stud wall rather than a structural element of the apartment. If has been agreed by the freeholder then there should be documentation supporting this.

Also check on VOA if the property is classed as having the additional room or the original - you may find that you have to pay more council tax due to the new banding the additional room creates.

Comment

"The problem with it is that there seems to be an extra bedroom added by the leaseholder and that is not reflected on the floor plans and title deeds of the flat."

Are you saying that (a) the lease plan shows the extent of the flat correctly but the internal layout incorrectly or (b) the Land Registry title plan does not show the extent of the flat correctly?

Comment

The land registry title plan doesn't show the extra room!

Comment

ash72,

I think the leaseholder extended the flat to cover a public window and use that space for a new room. The freeholder apparently has consented. In this case, the title deeds and floor plans don't match the actual flat. What do I do?

Comment

Originally posted by carcarrot94 View Post
            The land registry title plan doesn't show the extra room!
            Could be a problem there. How long ago was the room added?

Comment

Is this flat in a house which has been converted into two flats ?

And subsequently one flat has extended out into the communal staircase area ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post

Could be a problem there. How long ago was the room added?
                I think around 15 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                  Is this flat in a house which has been converted into two flats ?

And subsequently one flat has extended out into the communal staircase area ?
                  No it's in a purpose build flat building. One flat has extended out to the top floor staircase area where there was a window.

Comment

Originally posted by carcarrot94 View Post

I think around 15 years ago?
                    In that case there are two ways the problem can be resolved.

One is for the landlord to execute a supplemental lease.

If the landlord declines or wants a silly sum, the other is for the seller to make an application to the Land Registry to include the extra area relying on Smirk v Lyndale Developments Ltd 1975.

Comment

Make a visit to the Land Registry Office ( for your town or city ) and ask how to modify the site plan to include the extra area on top floor landing .

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                        Make a visit to the Land Registry Office ( for your town or city ) and ask how to modify the site plan to include the extra area on top floor landing .
                        See post 10.

Comment

Thanks for all your input! I appreciate it!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Accounting for RMC
                            by SHill
                            A lot has happened since my #62 post.

1. The Accountant is refusing to accept my instructions requesting him to hand over the Company information and accounts to the new Accountant. He is aware that the Company has massive penalties because of the late filing of the 2018 and 2019 accounts...
                            26-07-2021, 17:44 PM
                          • Accounting for RMC
                            by SHill
                            Would anyone be able to advise if a RMC can raise sales invoices to Directors, for property expenses that relate to their leasehold properties. The sales invoices raise are itemised in the Notes to the service charges at. 4. Transactions with Directors and 5. Related party transactions
                            09-02-2021, 22:41 PM
                          • Reply to Lease extension with rising rent
                            by sgclacy
                            Very large ground rents bizarrely are not onerous. - a very large rent stands out during the conveyance, and the parties adjust the price accordingly. If a ground rent on a flat ordinarily worth say £300k with a nominal rent is sold for £10,000 because the ground rent is say £10,000 per annum then...
                            26-07-2021, 14:57 PM
                          • Lease extension with rising rent
                            by Section20z
                            Having trouble finding a definitive answer to how statutory lease extension is valued with rising rent , my lease has 84 years left at £1020 current ground rent rising on sale of flat by £5/£1000 increase in value.
                            ​​​How does this affect cost of extension ? (flat worth £200,000)...
                            07-05-2021, 06:42 AM
                            by sgclacy
                            In fairness, the freehold has every right to reject the notice when errors are made of that magnitude.

As it is invalid, you can immediately serve another. If it was deemed valid, and you withdrew then you have to wait 12 months...
                            26-07-2021, 14:48 PM
                            by Gordon999
                            This report on CMA actions may help if your property developer is a company named in this report.:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...easehold-terms
                            26-07-2021, 14:03 PM
                          • Advice on flat sale
                            by Ionela Preda
                            Guys, hi!

I represent a RTM Company, I am the Director of it, 11 flats in our block.
                            He have some people willing to sell their flat, and I am really “flat” on the legal aspect;

I need to give them: the Deed of Covenant, the Assignment Pack, I need to lift and re-apply...
                            24-07-2021, 15:54 PM
                          • Reply to Advice on flat sale
                            by Gordon999
                            I am not a solicitor and do not have drafts for 1, 2 and 3.

I suggest you speak to the leaseholder 's conveyancing solicitor for advice if these items 1, 2 & 3 are necessary and functions required by the RTM under the terms of your lease.
                            26-07-2021, 13:49 PM
                          • Who can become a director of a RMC?
                            by David Mc
                            Hi, Could anyone advise who can actually become a director of a RMC. We are a block of 30 flats, each flat has one share in the RMC. We employ a managing agent. The RMC holds the freehold to the property. The MA is the company secretary.

There are currently 2 directors, although...
                            23-07-2021, 09:58 AM
                          • Reply to Who can become a director of a RMC?
                            by eagle2
                            A Company should always comply with its Articles so if regulation 47 of Table A applies, it should still hold AGMs. It needs to amend its Articles if it does not wish to hold AGMs any more....
                            26-07-2021, 11:07 AM
                          Working...
                          X