Does Section 20 Apply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Section 20 Apply

I live in a block of 16 flats each with a garage. We pay a service charge and also a ground rent charge. Each leaseholder has a share of the freehold company. The Directors of the freehold company have identified that the garage roofs need replacing and would like to pay for this work using the funds from the Ground rent account. Would they need to carry out a Section 20 consultation?

Who owns the garages, who are the garages demised to.?
    Does your lease say the garage is included within your demise ?
    or does it say you will be allocated one , if available.

If demised to you in the lease, each owner of the garage pays for the repairs.
    If not demised to the leaseholders, it's all part of the upkeep of the estate, and is added to the service charges.

Either way, S20 is required
    And either way, the ground rent should not be even thought about using. unless there is something you are not telling us,

But answer above questions first, - answers iusually on the first 2 pages of the lease .

Comment

s20 applies if any leaseholder is required to contribute more than £250 towards the works.

Comment

As the cost of the repairs are being paid by the ground rent money and not coming from the service charge does that mean the freeholder still has to go through the Section 20 process although they are not asking for contributions from the leaseholders

Comment

Originally posted by Mandyrose View Post
          As the cost of the repairs are being paid by the ground rent money and not coming from the service charge does that mean the freeholder still has to go through the Section 20 process although they are not asking for contributions from the leaseholders
          Ground rent money is separate from service charge money.
          If you are not being asked to pay anything, then there is no need for an S20
          No fee = no S20
          Simple.

Comment

There are two separate transactions because the service charge monies do not belong to the freeholder. It is effectively a dividend paid by the freeholder to the members and a simultaneous service charge payment by the leaseholders. It is only possible if each leaseholder is in agreement and he/she would need to declare the income for tax purposes.. There is a service charge contribution so a s20 notice may be necessary depending on the amounts involved.

Comment

Ground rent is not maintenence service charges.
              You are not being asked to increase the ground rent ( and should not be asked )
              You are not being asked for money to repair the rooves.

Therefore if you not being asked to pay money, then no S20 i required.
              If you are not paying more than £ 250, then no S20 is required.

You are not being asked to pay,
              You are not having to pay more than £ 250, as you are not bing charged, hence no S20 required.

Comment

No section 20 needed and sounds a fair solution as long as each of you pays the same ground rent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to License to Alter required to carry out repairs?
                  by Lawcruncher
                  I was thinking rather on the same lines which is why I asked the OP if he and his wife had signed the indemnity, hoping they had not so I did not have to consider the effect of the document. I have now considered it and concluded that it probably does not override the lease. However, there is still...
                  01-08-2021, 18:37 PM
                • License to Alter required to carry out repairs?
                  by APK
                  Hi all,

Looking for some advice. My wife and I recently bought a leasehold property in London. The property came with wooden flooring, and the lease specified no wooden flooring could be installed without consent.

The lease states, with regards to the flooring issue:
                  "Not
                  30-07-2021, 14:41 PM
                • Accounting for RMC
                  by SHill
                  Would anyone be able to advise if a RMC can raise sales invoices to Directors, for property expenses that relate to their leasehold properties. The sales invoices raise are itemised in the Notes to the service charges at. 4. Transactions with Directors and 5. Related party transactions
                  09-02-2021, 22:41 PM
                • Reply to Accounting for RMC
                  by SHill
                  I agree with Eagle 2 - As Director I am complying with the Companies Act 2006 to act in the best interests of the Company....
                  01-08-2021, 14:41 PM
                • Section 20 notice / repairing obligation
                  by Grah8m
                  REPAIRING OBLIGATION / SECTION 20 NOTICE
                  Our residential long lease does not impose Landlord Repairing Obligations - rather underlease provides procedures enabling any one of convenantees (5 x underlessees - 1 x "Landlord"/Underlessor) may initiate repairing maintenance works and...
                  01-08-2021, 13:59 PM
                  by eagle2
                  If you were filing a false document, I would agree, however, you are not and there is a greater risk of being personally responsible for the ongoing penalties which are being incurred. You are acting consistently with your claim that the previous officers of the Company could and should have filed statutory...
                  01-08-2021, 09:49 AM
                  by Section20z
                  I'd be very wary of filing a false financial instrument particularly with the revelations about the other parties...
                  01-08-2021, 08:35 AM
                  by Macromia
                  It doesn't sound to me that this is an issue with what is/isn't demised.
                  It sounds like the floor covering is within the demise, but the floor covering present at the time of purchase was one that the lease does not allow without the freeholder's consent.

The indemnity that was signed...
                  01-08-2021, 07:52 AM
                  by SHill
                  [QUOTE=eagle2;n1164773]I I can send you a PDF by private message if you wish..

Thank you that would be useful....
                  31-07-2021, 20:37 PM
                  by ram
                  Your lease should state what is included in your demise, therefore responsible to maintain / fix .
                  It usually states, you are demised
                  the floor boards, internal plaster over the bricks, and either half the floor joists, and half the ceiling joists. If it does not include mention of the joists,
                  31-07-2021, 13:37 PM
                Working...
                X