Freeholder dies - will this trigger First Right of Refusal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Originally posted by sgclacy View Post
    What the clause is stating is that a surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of preemption is a disposal except where it arises under the terms of a will or as the result of intestacy
    Nice try, but no!

(a) includes the surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of pre-emption, but

(b) excludes a disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy;

has the same effect as

(a) excludes a disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy; but

(b) includes the surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of pre-emption;

What is excluded is a transfer to a beneficiary under a will or intestacy. A sale by personal representatives is not excluded.

Leave a comment:

• sgclacy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
    See section 4(3)(b) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987:

In this Part “disposal” means a disposal whether by the creation or the transfer of an estate or interest and—

(a) includes the surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of pre-emption, but

(b) excludes a disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy;

and references in this Part to the transferee in connection with a disposal shall be construed accordingly.
    What the clause is stating is that a surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of preemption is a disposal except where it arises under the terms of a will or as the result of intestacy

if all transfers under a will were exempt large swaths of that section 4 would become unnecessary

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    See section 4(3)(b) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987:

In this Part “disposal” means a disposal whether by the creation or the transfer of an estate or interest and—

and references in this Part to the transferee in connection with a disposal shall be construed accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• sgclacy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
    No. A disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy is excluded.
    I do not believe that to be correct

If the transfer is made pursuant to section 2 of the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 then it is exempt and a transfer to a spouse is exempt - and rather generously a transfer made between couples who live as husband and wife

But a transfer under a will to say a friend would not be covered

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    No. A disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy is excluded.

Leave a comment:

• Freeholder dies - will this trigger First Right of Refusal?

I am a leaseholder in a block of 4 qualifying leasehold flats. The freeholder unfortunately died. It seems that his interest has now been taken up by his wife. If there has been a change of name in the freehold title deeds to reflect this change, should this have triggered first right of refusal procedures?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leasehold sweetener?
    by Bonehead33
    So the flat I'm considering will apparently come with a new leasehold of 99 years. If I pay full asking price (10k more than I think it's worth) then the flat will come with a 125 year lease. I'm new to leasehold. Is there any benefit to getting the 125 and paying extra? The flat is around 100k to buy...
    26-09-2021, 16:35 PM
  • Reply to Leasehold sweetener?
    by AndrewDod
    The service charge could be absolutely anything - may be £500 this year, but £20,000 next year, or even more when you find yourself one of the 1% of properties with cladding issues (or whatever comes next).

As eagle2 says, service charges (and service charge fraud) are where all the bodies...
    27-09-2021, 12:31 PM
  • Ground rent linked to value of property
    by ecfc29
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

My current GR is £100 pa, but in approx 16 years time will increase to 0.20% of the property value (1/500th as per lease), which is then reviewed at further 25 yr intervals until the end of the lease in c113 years time. So while there is no...
    27-09-2021, 12:15 PM
    by Bonehead33
    Service charge is 500 per year. It's a town centre flat above a shop. No idea how reasonable that is?
    27-09-2021, 12:08 PM
    by eagle2
    Unreasonable service charges are more of an issue than ground rent but no-one seems to be willing to deal with the issue. I suggest that you build into your calculations escalating service charges which could exceed the rate at which rent may increase.
    27-09-2021, 11:48 AM
  • Reply to Incompetent Managing Agent
    by aki131960
    Thank you for all of the advice received.

We have finally agreed at a board meeting of the RTM Company to terminate the managing agent and instruct a new which came highly recommended by the freeholder (one of the large estates in London).

The vote (to terminate old and instruct...
    27-09-2021, 11:43 AM
  • Incompetent Managing Agent
    by aki131960
    After years of poor management by our head leaseholder, we adopted the RTM with 4 directors and appointed managing agents. I had reservation about the agents and voiced these but one of the other 3 directors insisted that they had good references. As we were running out of time before the transfer...
    05-08-2021, 13:33 PM
    by sgclacy
    A consequence of the near hysteria over ground rents is that a rent of some 80p per day (. A quarter of a cup of coffee in Starbucks a day ) may be viewed as onerous and cause issues in sale being > 0.1% of the value of the property

With the market probably cooling ~ particularly for...
    27-09-2021, 10:26 AM
    by Bonehead33
    I'm viewing the flat and checking that this afternoon
    27-09-2021, 10:20 AM
    by vmart
    Have you checked the lease allows sub-letting?
    27-09-2021, 09:25 AM
Working...
X