Freeholder dies - will this trigger First Right of Refusal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder dies - will this trigger First Right of Refusal?

I am a leaseholder in a block of 4 qualifying leasehold flats. The freeholder unfortunately died. It seems that his interest has now been taken up by his wife. If there has been a change of name in the freehold title deeds to reflect this change, should this have triggered first right of refusal procedures?

No. A disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy is excluded.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
      No. A disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy is excluded.
      I do not believe that to be correct

If the transfer is made pursuant to section 2 of the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 then it is exempt and a transfer to a spouse is exempt - and rather generously a transfer made between couples who live as husband and wife

But a transfer under a will to say a friend would not be covered

Comment

See section 4(3)(b) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987:

In this Part “disposal” means a disposal whether by the creation or the transfer of an estate or interest and—

(a) includes the surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of pre-emption, but

(b) excludes a disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy;

and references in this Part to the transferee in connection with a disposal shall be construed accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
          See section 4(3)(b) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987:

In this Part “disposal” means a disposal whether by the creation or the transfer of an estate or interest and—

(a) includes the surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of pre-emption, but

(b) excludes a disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy;

and references in this Part to the transferee in connection with a disposal shall be construed accordingly.
          What the clause is stating is that a surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of preemption is a disposal except where it arises under the terms of a will or as the result of intestacy

if all transfers under a will were exempt large swaths of that section 4 would become unnecessary

Comment

Originally posted by sgclacy View Post
            What the clause is stating is that a surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of preemption is a disposal except where it arises under the terms of a will or as the result of intestacy
            Nice try, but no!

has the same effect as

(a) excludes a disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy; but

(b) includes the surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of pre-emption;

What is excluded is a transfer to a beneficiary under a will or intestacy. A sale by personal representatives is not excluded.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
              by ram
              [/FONT][/SIZE]
              • 1) Your possition - and mine, is NOT permitting letting will enhance the properties.
              • 2) Bad tenants DO adversely affect property values - normally.
              • 3) Your lease is not defective, so no need to change. And Judges HAVE gone along with the freeholder keeping the "no letting"
              24-07-2021, 23:42 PM
            • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
              by witsend55
              Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
              24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
            • Reply to Advice on flat sale
              by Ionela Preda
              The free holder only asked me to pass the info about the new buyer, so they know at the end.
              and of course, to add him into the RTM, too.,...
              24-07-2021, 21:41 PM
            • Advice on flat sale
              by Ionela Preda
              Guys, hi!

I represent a RTM Company, I am the Director of it, 11 flats in our block.
              He have some people willing to sell their flat, and I am really “flat” on the legal aspect;

I need to give them: the Deed of Covenant, the Assignment Pack, I need to lift and re-apply...
              24-07-2021, 15:54 PM
              by Ionela Preda
              thank you! I read the post and I can’t wait to be Monday, so I can ring them…...
              24-07-2021, 21:37 PM
              by Ionela Preda
              Yes, Homeground is now representing the Free Holder and gave me the authorisation to carry this.
              they normally do all these themselves, but only for a Management Company, not for our RTM one…

They declined any help, even paid one.

the LPE 1 form, we have it from the...
              24-07-2021, 21:36 PM
              by Ionela Preda
              Guys, I can’t believe that you take your time to help! Nice people still exist!
              24-07-2021, 21:29 PM
            • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
              by MdeB
              Earlier posters have covered everything I wanted to write.

Owner occupiers generally treat a property better than tenants (I have been both and it applied to me too).
              24-07-2021, 21:18 PM
            • Reply to Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land
              by AndrewDod
              Not adverse possession I don't think. Even if the chairs remained there fenced off for a decade, I don't think you can claim AP relating to land you have the right to access anyway.

I can't see a problem with them sitting there if the lease allows, but should not be leaving the stuff there...
              24-07-2021, 19:43 PM
            • Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land
              by Joubert
              I am a director of a freehold company which comprises six leasehold flats in a converted building.

The leaseholder of the lower ground flat has taken to placing a small table and two chairs outside her front door for use when the weather is good. They items are not causing any obstruction....
              24-07-2021, 17:06 PM
            Working...
            X