Freeholder dies - will this trigger First Right of Refusal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder dies - will this trigger First Right of Refusal?

I am a leaseholder in a block of 4 qualifying leasehold flats. The freeholder unfortunately died. It seems that his interest has now been taken up by his wife. If there has been a change of name in the freehold title deeds to reflect this change, should this have triggered first right of refusal procedures?

No. A disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy is excluded.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
      No. A disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy is excluded.
      I do not believe that to be correct

If the transfer is made pursuant to section 2 of the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 then it is exempt and a transfer to a spouse is exempt - and rather generously a transfer made between couples who live as husband and wife

But a transfer under a will to say a friend would not be covered

Comment

See section 4(3)(b) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987:

In this Part “disposal” means a disposal whether by the creation or the transfer of an estate or interest and—

(a) includes the surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of pre-emption, but

(b) excludes a disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy;

and references in this Part to the transferee in connection with a disposal shall be construed accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
          See section 4(3)(b) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987:

In this Part “disposal” means a disposal whether by the creation or the transfer of an estate or interest and—

(a) includes the surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of pre-emption, but

(b) excludes a disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy;

and references in this Part to the transferee in connection with a disposal shall be construed accordingly.
          What the clause is stating is that a surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of preemption is a disposal except where it arises under the terms of a will or as the result of intestacy

if all transfers under a will were exempt large swaths of that section 4 would become unnecessary

Comment

Originally posted by sgclacy View Post
            What the clause is stating is that a surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of preemption is a disposal except where it arises under the terms of a will or as the result of intestacy
            Nice try, but no!

has the same effect as

(a) excludes a disposal under the terms of a will or under the law relating to intestacy; but

(b) includes the surrender of a tenancy and the grant of an option or right of pre-emption;

What is excluded is a transfer to a beneficiary under a will or intestacy. A sale by personal representatives is not excluded.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to License to Alter required to carry out repairs?
              by Lawcruncher
              I was thinking rather on the same lines which is why I asked the OP if he and his wife had signed the indemnity, hoping they had not so I did not have to consider the effect of the document. I have now considered it and concluded that it probably does not override the lease. However, there is still...
              01-08-2021, 18:37 PM
            • License to Alter required to carry out repairs?
              by APK
              Hi all,

Looking for some advice. My wife and I recently bought a leasehold property in London. The property came with wooden flooring, and the lease specified no wooden flooring could be installed without consent.

The lease states, with regards to the flooring issue:
              "Not
              30-07-2021, 14:41 PM
            • Reply to Accounting for RMC
              by SHill
              I agree with Eagle 2 - As Director I am complying with the Companies Act 2006 to act in the best interests of the Company....
              01-08-2021, 14:41 PM
            • Accounting for RMC
              by SHill
              Would anyone be able to advise if a RMC can raise sales invoices to Directors, for property expenses that relate to their leasehold properties. The sales invoices raise are itemised in the Notes to the service charges at. 4. Transactions with Directors and 5. Related party transactions
              09-02-2021, 22:41 PM
            • Section 20 notice / repairing obligation
              by Grah8m
              REPAIRING OBLIGATION / SECTION 20 NOTICE
              Our residential long lease does not impose Landlord Repairing Obligations - rather underlease provides procedures enabling any one of convenantees (5 x underlessees - 1 x "Landlord"/Underlessor) may initiate repairing maintenance works and...
              01-08-2021, 13:59 PM
              by eagle2
              If you were filing a false document, I would agree, however, you are not and there is a greater risk of being personally responsible for the ongoing penalties which are being incurred. You are acting consistently with your claim that the previous officers of the Company could and should have filed statutory...
              01-08-2021, 09:49 AM
              by Section20z
              I'd be very wary of filing a false financial instrument particularly with the revelations about the other parties...
              01-08-2021, 08:35 AM
            • Reply to License to Alter required to carry out repairs?
              by Macromia
              It doesn't sound to me that this is an issue with what is/isn't demised.
              It sounds like the floor covering is within the demise, but the floor covering present at the time of purchase was one that the lease does not allow without the freeholder's consent.

The indemnity that was signed...
              01-08-2021, 07:52 AM
              by SHill
              [QUOTE=eagle2;n1164773]I I can send you a PDF by private message if you wish..

Thank you that would be useful....
              31-07-2021, 20:37 PM
            • Agent going bust?
              by Granger
              Our 15 flats use an outside block management company. Their website has disappeared. They haven’t provided any financial updates for 6 months, but have made demands for services going back 4 years suddenly claiming that they are extras outside their normal services. We fear that they are in financial...
              31-07-2021, 08:52 AM
            Working...
            X