Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no access to my flat

Hi everyone,

I own one of four flats in a building in London. My tenant has been sent to prison with the only key for the communal entrance and the prison will not release any of his belongings. The now ex tenant surrendered his tenancy so I now have the right to access my flat but, because I have no key, I have no way to access my flat.

I have tried to contact the freeholder/management company multiple times and they have not responded. I have also tried contacting them on previous occasions over the last few years and they have never got back to me.

I have tried ringing the other flats but there was no response and I live 3 hours away so I can't keep going back at different times to try again.

I have searched the land registry to find out the other landlords details. Two of the other flats are apparently owned by the freeholder and I have just written a letter to the other landlord.

Can anyone think of any solutions to this problem because I am pretty lost right now and have no way to access my flat. God knows what condition it is in when I do get access.

Thanks in advance

You might try identifying from either the electoral roll or a site like 192.com which also for the payment of a fee for credits on the site provides the same info if the tenants are registered, If successful then a request to the occupants of the other units could be made explaining the situation and offering to reimburse for the cost of providing a replacement key, you might need to show a redacted part of the original AST to certify that you are indeed the legal owner.

Comment

I think the only answer here is a locksmith. The freeholders are unlikely to have a key to the flat and neither will the other leaseholder.

If you also need a key to the street door that is a bit different. However, I think there has to come a point where you are entitled to change that lock too as it cannot be right that you are kept indefinitely out of your property. I would though suggest that before changing that lock you inform the landlord/agent of an intention to do so.

Comment

Reading the post again I believe it is the Common Entrance door key which is the missing link and not the key of the flat .

Comment

Next time make sure you have spare keys yourself so you never get into this situation again. Key copies don't cost that much.

I would write/email the freeholder/management again to remind them of your problem and that if they do not reply within x days/weeks then you will get the lock changed and have new keys given to all flat occupiers and your apportioned cost deducted from the next service charge bill. It is crazy to think no one replies to requests such as yours, completely unacceptable. They get paid for a service they clearly are not providing.

Comment

If you know any of the other leaseholders, may be you can get a key cut from their copy. If you go via the management co. they may charge you £25-£30 for 1 key.... if they respond

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Is applying to FTT to appoint manager my best option?
              by Tom H
              I own a long leasehold in a purpose-built flat comprising of just two flats. The freeholder also owns and resides in the flat that is directly above me.
              Despite numerous attempts to get him to carry out essential maintenance to the property as per the provisions in the lease (about a third of...
              03-08-2021, 15:31 PM
            • Reply to Is applying to FTT to appoint manager my best option?
              by vmart
              Dear Tom

You are indeed in a difficult position since you cannot buy the freehold.

Personally, I would avoid applying to the FTT to appoint a manager given reports of high charges and little by way of recourse usually open to leaseholders once a manager is in place.
              03-08-2021, 18:24 PM
            • RMC who decides annual budget
              by scot22
              Is the budget a board of directors decision or MUST it be ratified by shareholders at the A.G.M ?

If so would it be an ordinary resolution or special requiring 75% to be ratified ?
              02-08-2021, 10:55 AM
            • Reply to RMC who decides annual budget
              by ram
              I may have shares in B.T. so can I object to their spending of £ millions on below ? which are not needed, as there are plenty of other firms doing it ?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...low-spots.html

I feel it
              03-08-2021, 15:42 PM
            • Removing a director
              by LaraJara21
              Hi all.

The residents management company is currently being run by a director who is very uncooperative. After 2 years of asking for a meeting, asking for copies of accounts, the insurance policy, just anythings in relation to the limited company, he refuses and continues to be very difficult....
              03-08-2021, 14:21 PM
            • Reply to Removing a director
              by eagle2
              You can arrange a meeting of members but you must include on the agenda that you intend to remove the director. You must give special notice to the director that he is subject to the vote and you must allow him to make a statement at the meeting, Make sure that you have the minimum number of directors...
              03-08-2021, 15:05 PM
            • Reply to Can directors put taking legal advice through the service charge?
              by Starlane
              I think as RAM was saying Eagle2 , I don't think a member would be liable for the costs and I have put forward that It is important to bear in mind that the award of costs is always at the discretion of the court.

I stated " including but not limited to making an application for an...
              03-08-2021, 13:41 PM
            • Can directors put taking legal advice through the service charge?
              by Starlane
              Hello, I hope your week is going well! I firstly want to thank some of the contributors in this site as you have been very helpful with sharing your experiences and knowledge.

So the situation is..I have sent the landlord company and its directors a preliminary notice.I also tried to...
              02-08-2021, 21:03 PM
              by eagle2
              The agent should never be allowed the freedom to set the budget, it should recommend expenditure but it should never be the one to set it. Otherwise, a substantial part of the expenditure is likely to end up in the hands of that agent and its connected contractors,

The agent should always...
              03-08-2021, 11:25 AM
              by MrSoffit
              As already said, company directors are responsible to manage. If the directors do not table a resolution invited members to vote on a budget (and they would be fools to do so), the members must use a special resolution to force the directors to a different outcome. Unless the articles of the RMC say...
              03-08-2021, 11:07 AM
            Working...
            X