Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon999
    replied
    It seems the 4 leaseholders have been charged £50 per week for last four years = £10,000 . You might be able to get the local fire station safety advisor to give a statement that a weekly test is not necessary.

Make an application to the FTT to judge the reasonableness of the service charges ( by the leaseholders.).

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied
    You may wish to make a deduction from the amounts currently claimed by the freeholder, If you choose to apply to the FTT, your claim would be against the freeholder, who imposed the service charges at the time, The claim itself would be relatively simple, it would be on the grounds that the charges are unreasonable. The evidence required is more difficult, you would need either proof that the work was not carried out or that someone else could have carried out the task at a lower cost, I assume that you have a copy of an invoice raised by the "fire safety" company and a copy of the contract.

Leave a comment:

• jazzythumper
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
    The Grenfell Tower Block was a 24 storey building , wrongly fitted with combustible cladding and 72 persons died in the fire 4 years ago.

Your block of 4 leasehold units does not have combustible cladding and does not require a weekly visit for fire alarm test .

You should make an application to the FTT for judgement of the reasonableness of the service charge and try to recover the £50 /week expense charged by the agent over past 4 years ?

Can this be done, post a rtm transition?
    How detailed would a claim need to be for this?
    What evidence would be needed?

Thanks

Jazzy

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Absolutely scandalous!

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    The Grenfell Tower Block was a 24 storey building , wrongly fitted with combustible cladding and 72 persons died in the fire 4 years ago.

Your block of 4 leasehold units does not have combustible cladding and does not require a weekly visit for fire alarm test .

You should make an application to the FTT for judgement of the reasonableness of the service charge and try to recover the £50 /week expense charged by the agent over past 4 years ?

Leave a comment:

• fos333
    replied
    There is no requirement to check a smoke detector weekly, recommendation is that it is tested monthly.

There is, however, a requirement under the RRO Article 17 to check a fire alarm weekly, though when it comes to managing agents the authorities are likely to ignore this fact or state that they are broadly compliant.

Why did non of the leaseholders take on this task? If any offered to undertake this task then you have an argument to put forward, any resident could of acted as the responsible person.

Did the MA not carry this out whilst conducting the monthly site inspection or are there other services that you pay for, i.e., cleaners that visited once per month. Anywhere you can argue it could have been incorporated into other visits could support a reduction in the monthly charge.

Leave a comment:

• Macromia
    replied
    The difficulty you have is that, if you challenge the costs, you will need to put forward a reasonable argument that the checks were either not required or not carried out at all.

You could instead decide not to pay (if you haven't already done so) and allow the freeholder to take you to court/tribunal because the burden of proof will then be theirs - but that has its own risks.

Is the amount really worth the hassle? Or would it be better to begrudgingly accept that you will have to pay it, knowing that you will be taking over management yourselves in the future?

Leave a comment:

• jazzythumper
    replied
    Yes, I can understand that, we have not proof that these checks were ever done, apart from an excel spreadsheet of the times and dates of these checks that was produced after some protractive asking, which of course doesn't prove anything.

Leave a comment:

• Macromia
    replied
    You are only required to pay service charges if they are allowed by the lease and are reasonable.

For what you describe it is difficult to say how a tribunal would decide, as it would be argued that it was necessary from a health and safety point of view, and I suspect that £50 would be deemed reasonable for a weekly visit as the cost would cover travel time, travel costs, national insurance contributions for the employee, and so on, in addition to the 1 minute it takes them to press the button.

It does seem like the managing agents saw a way to easily make extra money if they set up the 'fire safety company', and you would also have the argument that regulations following Grenfell only apply to high rise blocks - and I'm certain that a block of four properties won't qualify.

See what others have to say.

Leave a comment:

• jazzythumper
    started a topic Unfair charges from our managing agent

Unfair charges from our managing agent

For the past few years in the 'wake of Grenfell' our managing agent has been charging leaseholders for fire safety checks at £50 per week divided between 4 leaseholders. The contract with a the 'fire safety' company is 364 days a year, so I understand that we can't challenge this. According to companies house the 'fire safety company' was set up by the managing agent. The checks involve someone pressing the button on the smoke detector in the common area to check it is working. As far as I understand there is no legal requirement to do this that often.

Is there anything we can do about this retrospectively? Within a few few weeks we take over the management of the building through the RTM process, this was one of the reasons we chose as leaseholders to exercise the RTM.

Is this practice even legal?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Service charge debtor still collecting rent!
    by Codger
    In our block we have flat owners who let them out ,collect rent but do not pat gr or service charge.
    i am considering asking the tenant to pay the freeholder to pay off the debt and embarrass the flat owner. Any comments?
    06-09-2021, 18:47 PM
  • Reply to Service charge debtor still collecting rent!
    by Gordon999
    The rental tenant should give you the contact address of leaseholder or you can post the service charge demand to the letting agent which collects the rent money.
    17-09-2021, 16:37 PM
  • Service charges after freehold obtained on SO
    by Llaj
    I’m Staircasing to 100% of my shared ownership house on a private estate. I pay over £700 pa in service charges. There are no communal areas, apart from a small car park. I have found out that the other private freeholders pay around £200 pa estate charges. My solicitor thinks that when I obtain...
    15-09-2021, 07:11 AM
  • Reply to Service charges after freehold obtained on SO
    by Gordon999
    Under the shared ownership scheme , you pay "rent " on the housing association's share of property. . This "rent" payment should stop if you staircase to 100% of ownership scheme.

If you purchase the freehold title from the housing association , then your...
    17-09-2021, 16:22 PM
  • Reply to Advice please director acting on their own
    by eagle2
    The directors do not have the power to remove another director, they are answerable to the members and only the members can remove a director, If the members do not vote him out, he remains a director regardless of what the other directors think, If a director steals money, it is theft and you report...
    17-09-2021, 14:20 PM
  • Advice please director acting on their own
    by thenunn
    Hi, after some advice on dealing with a situation. One of our directors took it upon himself to take a letter asking owners to vote on a company for works the company is his,and he actually wrote the letter from his company , but more importantly he did this without the knowledge of agreement of the...
    17-09-2021, 06:37 AM
    by ram
    Trouble is, leaseholders are appathetic.
    Oh, he's such a nice man, this Director, lets keep him and forgive him

Happend here.

Board of directors can dismiss a director, so long as they have it ratified by the members shortly afterwards.
    ( E.G. Director steals money,
    17-09-2021, 10:39 AM
    by eagle2
    The other directors should give the director a warning. Whether or not voting is permitted when there is a conflict of interests depends on the Articles, but good practice would require the director to abstain even if he is permitted to vote. If the director continues to fail to act according to the...
    17-09-2021, 10:02 AM
  • Reply to Service charges after freehold obtained on SO
    by ram
    You say it's a private estate, BUT There are no communal areas.
    Sorry, the road, pavements, road lighting, repairs to same ARE communal.

drain clearance, weed removal, also.

The HA adminiters the Estate, they are the Managing company for the "Private" estate,
    17-09-2021, 09:59 AM
  • Proxy
    by SCWill
    We held an Extraordinary meeting last night and someone (not a leaseholder) was a Proxy for 5 people and I just wanted to find out if this is OK?
    Thanks...
    17-09-2021, 08:35 AM
Working...
X