Is money paid in advance by Leaseholders for substantial Section 20 works "secure"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is money paid in advance by Leaseholders for substantial Section 20 works "secure"?

We own a Leasehold in a small (20 units) block where the Freeholders agent now requires pre-payment for substantial Section 20 works that will take place over the next 12 to 18 months. The works will be split into two with our first payment due immediately for works over this summer and second payment about this time next year (both payments are several thousand pounds). Is there a legal requirement for the managing agent to hold those funds in Trust or Escrow until payment(s) are required by the works Contractor? We're not querying the cost of the works or that it needs doing and the Section 20 notice has followed correct procedure etc.. I'm just concerned about the security of the funds as they're substantially more than the normal Service Charges we pay to the managing agent.

The monies should be held in a separate bank client account. You should be told the name and title of the bank account and you are entitled to ask for a copy of the bank's written confirmation that all monies in the account are client monies and that it is not entitled to combine the account with any other account or exercise any right of set off in respect of any sum owed to it. RICS code 6.2

Comment

Not every managing agents are RICS and therefore bound by their rules; however I would expect funds to be ring fenced in a segregated general clients account.

Comment

Not a lawyer so this may just be nonsense, my bad luck.

The MA has to put the money in ring fenced account, but that is for the building, not each leaseholder. So if one LH pays and others don't the money in the account can be used up leaving the paying LH with basically an IOU.

Comment

I would say that money paid in advance for section 20 works is no more, or less, secure than any other service charge funds that are paid in advance.
          Personally though, I wouldn't be overly worried about the security of funds that are earmarked to be spent for specific work within a couple of years (unless I had good reason to believe that the freeholder was likely to go bankrupt) but it is better to have confirmation that funds are kept in a suitably protected client account.

Comment

Strictly service charges are only payable in accordance with the lease and the MA is not entitled to ask for additional monies due to s20 works alone. Practically, the MA will not arrange works unless it holds sufficient funds to pay for the cost. The security of funds applies equally to all monies held by the MA. The larger problem arises if some but not all the leaseholders pay their contributions in which case the works may be postponed and the monies collected could be used for other purposes.

Comment

What eagle2 said is what I meant, your money may be used for something else, you just get an iou.

Even if the money is completely misappropriated the MA can argue the FH owes you.

You never have your money stolen, just get bigger and bigger IOUs.

Comment

As all above.
                Nothing magical abour S20's, it's still a service charge, it's still maintenence that has to be done, And you cannot order maintenence to be done if you don't have the funds to pay for it. Thats called fraudulant.

Come to my house, build ( or pay some one ) a garden shed for £ 2000, knowing that I don't yet have the money to pay for it.

Want my address ?.

I did not think so.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I've had confirmation that the funds will be held in a "Client Account" so feel a bit easier. I suspect a bigger issue, rather than the security of the funds, will be what happens if the MA is unable to secure timely payment from some Leaseholders (as mentioned by eagle2 above). He already has some arrears owing and has zero reserve fund to cover any shortfall. If he hasn't secured all the funds needed to legally instruct the contractor to commence I'm not sure what happens next. Some of the works are quite urgent. Does the Freeholder have no obligation to cover, temporarily, the shortfall? It's they who have entered into a Lease with any defaulting Leaseholders and it is they that can expedite recovery of those overdue amounts by commencing (or maybe just threatening) legal actions to recover the debt, or Lease?

Comment

Halfbob, re- post number 9, the person with arreas gets sued for those arreas, AND gets sued for not paying the service charges ( S20 ) within 30 days.

Yes the freeholder has to get urgent work done even if there are no funds. This may mean borrowing money ( the directors are the named persons on the borrowing ) to complete, but that puts up the cost for everyone.

Tell the directors to pull their fingers out and sue or at least mention that if the funds are not coming ( owed and S20 ) they will instgate proceedings to recover the money, and all court and solicitors costs will be theirs to pay.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Flat entrance door - fire door compliance
                      by MrSoffit
                      Hi. Inspecting flat entrance doors has been a requirement since the 2005 Fire safety Order. The role of managing agents to inspect front doors is covered in appendices to the 2011 guidelines.

Should a managing agent have in-house expertise to carry out door inspections (required by an...
                      18-06-2021, 21:11 PM
                    • Reply to Flat entrance door - fire door compliance
                      by jrsteeve
                      Best practice is for the agent to appoint an external contractor to conduct an FRA and formal risk assessments. Checking for obvious damage to apartment doors would be completed during a standard site inspection by the agent. Any significant damage should then be followed up by a contractor assessment...
                      18-06-2021, 21:36 PM
                    • Reply to Handing back Right to Manage to Freeholder
                      by jrsteeve
                      Perhaps appoint a managing agent to take the stress away and deal with the difficult leaseholder?...
                      18-06-2021, 21:29 PM
                    • Handing back Right to Manage to Freeholder
                      by carolebrntt
                      An RTM was set up in 2005 of which I have been a Director ever since, and dealt with all the buildings requirements.
                      Including Insurance, maintenance and getting documents sent to Companies House. I’m now 73 and wish to sell my flat and move on, as the responsibility is now affecting my health....
                      17-06-2021, 09:53 AM
                    • Reply to External wall surveys - S20
                      by Samish
                      We are going to make an application to dispense under S20ZA out of caution, however I don't personally feel that it should be classed as 'works'. It is an inspection by a qualified individual. If an asbestos survey exceeded the S20 threshold, or a fire risk assessment, you might challenge the cost on...
                      18-06-2021, 15:17 PM
                    • External wall surveys - S20
                      by Samish
                      Hi there, sorry if this has been covered before but I was hoping to get peoples view on costs for external wall surveys and whether they are qualifying works under S20? Colleagues of mine think that we need to go through S20 consultation, however I'm of the opinion that, while expensive and invasive,...
                      17-06-2021, 15:41 PM
                    • Reply to How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
                      by eagle2
                      We need some more information please. Are the leases directly between the freeholder and the leaseholders or is there an RMC involved?
                      A block of 5 flats can probably be managed by the leaseholders themselves, especially if you are all contributing and you all get along well. The problem is when...
                      18-06-2021, 15:17 PM
                    • How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
                      by riva
                      I live in a share of freehold (block of 5 flats) and we are currently paying around 6k per flat for management/bills per annum. No concierge but there's a lift. It's an external management company that we outsource to. Thing is, I feel that they were coming up with rather expensive quotes and so I've...
                      17-06-2021, 09:09 AM
                    • Reply to ICO Data protection fee
                      by eagle2
                      There is a registration self assessment on the ICO web site. I suggest that you complete it and keep a copy if it states that you do not need to pay a registration fee....
                      18-06-2021, 14:40 PM
                    • ICO Data protection fee
                      by parklands
                      I have received a letter from ICO informing me that we need to pay a fee. Our managing agent says we must decide if we want to pay and offers no advice. Do other RMCs pay this?
                      17-06-2021, 22:00 PM
                    Working...
                    X