Is there a limit to what constitutes a premium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi - Nomadiclord, could I cheekily ask if you have moved forward with your freeholder as I find myself in an identical position (right down to the second child who didn’t come with an additional bedroom !!). Our freeholder is also requesting a premium to cut into the external walls and my own attempts to dispute this with his solicitor have come to an abrupt end with her adamant that he is entitled to one ….

(Any pearls of wisdom from anyone would be so much appreciated ….. !)

Thanks in advance

Comment

Annoyingfreeholder,

Since every lease is different, u need to check what ur lease says around performing alterations/additions to ur demise. If I use my lease as an example, mine says that I can add/alter my demise (including maiming/injuring the external wall) provided that I get consent from the FH. As part of obtaining consent for my loft conversion, no premium was payable.

Comment

Hi Annoyingfreeholder.

No not yet, I am currently getting an interpretation of a section 84 application. If you can post the lease section here, I can give my personal opinion on whether it is an absolute or qualified covenant.

Comment

Thanks so much for responding (and apologies, I’ve only just seem it). I’ve taken clauses 9 & 10 to be the relevant ones …

Comment

Annoyingfreeholder good news for u. U have a qualified covenant (not absolute). This means that ur FH cannot unreasonably withhold consent. Now to check if a premium is payable or not to the FH, u need to check the extend of ur demise. Eg if ur demise includes internal and external walls and provided that the scope of the alterations are within ur demise, then no premium is payable to the FH.

To help assess this take a pic of the section describing what had been demised to u.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Balcony repairs - lease issue
              by Jones666
              Hi, new poster here, legal ignoramus. We live on the middle floor of a three story building (i.e. the British first floor), freehold jointly held as individual leases by all owners equally and managed by a residents' committee who employ estate managers. We and the flat above have balconies which are...
              05-07-2022, 11:13 AM
            • Reply to Balcony repairs - lease issue
              by Lawcruncher
              It is not really possible to answer your question without knowing exactly what your lease says, please quote in full:

The "parcels" that is the part which describes what is included and (possibly) excluded.
              The tenant's repairing obligations
              The landlord's...
              05-07-2022, 22:20 PM
            • Responsibility on my freehold
              by paul woodford
              I am joint freeholder with the property upstairs and have had issues with our roof leaking. After many repairs paying my 50% to the cost, the upstairs owner has decided to extend into the loft space and onto 50% of the flat roof at the back. I thought this would reduce the cost to me to the front of...
              05-07-2022, 20:44 PM
            • Property Purchase - Environment Search came back with....
              by John2005
              Hi all. I have a question that was not linked to the same subject as my other topic so I figured it would make sense to create a new topic for this one.

I'm in the process of purchasing a flat and I have seen on one of the searches 'Environment' one to be specific - state "Further...
              04-07-2022, 02:40 AM
            • Reply to Property Purchase - Environment Search came back with....
              by Tipper
              For ground contamination you would be better to seek out a hydrogeologist as they deal with ground water and contamination issues and its remediation. Much of their work is desk research and then followed by any necessary on site tests.

It is likely that full site tests and necessary clean-up...
              05-07-2022, 19:05 PM
              by Sydaton
              It sounds to me that the Estate Managers are wrong. From what you say, the balcony is exactly that, a balcony, it might be an extension of the downstairs ceiling but at the moment it passes through the wall it becomes your balcony. And, from what you say, you are responsible for its repair.
              05-07-2022, 12:40 PM
              by royw
              Can 'ceiling' apply to something outside the property? Seems a bit of stretch to me. Suggest you post the relevant part of the lease.
              05-07-2022, 12:23 PM
              by JK0
              It should be a certain proportion of the total cost, surely? I don't see how you can apportion different amounts to different flats.
              05-07-2022, 11:34 AM
              by AndrewDod
              It is going to depend on the exact wording of the lease (definitions of things like "building" and so on). There is no external rule....
              05-07-2022, 11:22 AM
            • Reply to Missing joint freeholder in 2x flat block, able to to gain share of freehold?
              by JonRo15
              Thanks vmart...the other leaseholder/freeholder is desperate to sell her flat, as well and the part of the freehold. She is unable to sell/extend lease/transfer title without the missing freeholder, as there was no Declaration of Trust or similar in place. There is no company, just two individuals....
              05-07-2022, 08:56 AM
            Working...
            X