Is there a limit to what constitutes a premium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi - Nomadiclord, could I cheekily ask if you have moved forward with your freeholder as I find myself in an identical position (right down to the second child who didn’t come with an additional bedroom !!). Our freeholder is also requesting a premium to cut into the external walls and my own attempts to dispute this with his solicitor have come to an abrupt end with her adamant that he is entitled to one ….

(Any pearls of wisdom from anyone would be so much appreciated ….. !)

Thanks in advance

Comment

Annoyingfreeholder,

Since every lease is different, u need to check what ur lease says around performing alterations/additions to ur demise. If I use my lease as an example, mine says that I can add/alter my demise (including maiming/injuring the external wall) provided that I get consent from the FH. As part of obtaining consent for my loft conversion, no premium was payable.

Comment

Hi Annoyingfreeholder.

No not yet, I am currently getting an interpretation of a section 84 application. If you can post the lease section here, I can give my personal opinion on whether it is an absolute or qualified covenant.

Comment

Thanks so much for responding (and apologies, I’ve only just seem it). I’ve taken clauses 9 & 10 to be the relevant ones …

Comment

Annoyingfreeholder good news for u. U have a qualified covenant (not absolute). This means that ur FH cannot unreasonably withhold consent. Now to check if a premium is payable or not to the FH, u need to check the extend of ur demise. Eg if ur demise includes internal and external walls and provided that the scope of the alterations are within ur demise, then no premium is payable to the FH.

To help assess this take a pic of the section describing what had been demised to u.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Insurance
              by jazzythumper
              I’ve managed to get the refund from the previous insurers, which is good, over £1,000 that we wouldn’t have had otherwise in our funds.
              18-05-2022, 15:51 PM
            • Insurance
              by jazzythumper
              When the freehold of our building was sold, the old freeholder cancelled the buildings insurance which we had paid for in advance through our service charge.

A new policy was taken out by the new freeholder. A refund for the previous policy has been given to the previous freeholder but...
              03-04-2022, 20:24 PM
            • Breaches of Model Articles
              by Starlane
              ram Our articles require a quorum for board and for shareholder meetings. It has come to light after the event that a director has called a meeting on their own and appointed another director, the meeting was inquorate and no members were made aware that this was going on, additionally no meeting has...
              06-05-2022, 16:02 PM
            • Reply to Breaches of Model Articles
              by Starlane
              The Articles require a quorum for the board and shareholders, one of the directors sold their flat...I was not aware and find out months later that the director has been acting on their own then a new shareholder came onboard and again did not know that he had been appointed a director.They wont call...
              18-05-2022, 15:38 PM
            • Reply to Section 20 notice of planned works not disclosed by vendor
              by Lexa
              @sglacy - The works the notice has been served for are part of a cyclical decoration programme on the wider estate and there was no way to foresee any works being planned without being made aware of the notices or plans of works. It might have been evident to the vendor but not to me. The point is...
              18-05-2022, 13:20 PM
            • Section 20 notice of planned works not disclosed by vendor
              by Lexa
              Hi all

I purchased a flat last August and asked my solicitor specifically to check if any section 20 notices for planned works have been served. Their report dated 31/07/21 states no and so does the Leasehold Management Pack issued by the Manco dated 8 June 2021. I now received a letter...
              05-05-2022, 12:56 PM
            • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
              by Tony-Edwards
              The Lease..........

(20.05.1997) By a Conveyance of the land in this title and other land dated 15 July 1977 made between (1) xxx (Vendor) and (2) xxxx (Purchaser) the land was conveyed subject as follows:-

Subject to all existing rights and privileges in the nature of easements...
              18-05-2022, 09:18 AM
            • Neighbour Dispute over Bins
              by Tony-Edwards
              Hello

I could do with some guidance if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a 100 year old flat that was split from a larger building in 2000 and has a 999 year lease, it is next door to a commercial premises.

The only way to get to my flat is across their...
              17-05-2022, 14:40 PM
            • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
              by royw
              Can't you leave them on the road for collection?
              18-05-2022, 08:43 AM
            • Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
              by Ldawg
              The flat I rent out has suffered from recurrent leaks from upstairs since I purchased it, 4 leaks in 4 years. It's caused me to lose one tenant already. I feel like there is no incentive for the owner upstairs to sort the problem (check the plumbing etc) as the cost is always covered by insurance and...
              24-01-2022, 19:48 PM
            Working...
            X