Breach of leasehold terms with floor that's causing noise; who to enforce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breach of leasehold terms with floor that's causing noise; who to enforce?

My upstair's neighbour's lease requires him to provide "carpets, or such other suitable floor coverings", and it also has a "nuisance" clause. He has had his flat tiled. I am now being driven nuts by noise from above. Every movement results in impact noise transmission, and I'm going round the bend. Something as innocent as a chair being moved is torturing me, and so far as I can see, the tenant to whom my neighbour has sublet his flat is doing nothing unreasonable. (Carpets were required by the lease for a very good reason!)

Both parties (me and the owner of the upstairs flat) are leaseholders, with a shared ownership housing association being the freeholder. There is also the added complication that the owner has sublet the flat, and there's a tenant in there.

Does anyone know how I can get the terms of my neighbour's lease enforced? Legally, who, or what, can compel my tenant to remove the tiles again? What obliges the freeholder to do anything? (To date, the freeholder (i.e. the housing association) has done nothing, despite my requests.) The leaseholder of the flat now lives in America and is ignoring my messages, so I really need to understand what the responsibilities of both the freeholder housing association AND the leaseholder.

Any insights would be truly welcomed!

I suggest that you read the terms of your lease.

Does it state the floors must be carpeted ? or you are entitle to quiet enjoyment in your flat ?

I would recommend that you visit the local Magistrates Court and ask the court manager if to you can make an application to the Court for :

Order on the Housing Association to enter the flat and install carpet over the tiled areas in the lounge and bedroom? and charge the cost to leaseholder of the flat ?

Comment

Under the lease, there are three possibilities:

1. The relevant covenants in the lease are expressed to be not only with the landlord but also with the other leaseholders. If that is the case you can personally take action against the leaseholder, but not against the subtenant.

2. The lease contains a clause which enables you to require the landlord to take action against any leaseholder in breach of covenant. However, such clauses are usually accompanied by a requirement that the leaseholder indemnifies the landlord in respect of any costs. You are going to have difficulty persuading the HA to take action.

3. None of the above applies.

If 3 is the case, and indeed in any event, there is the law of nuisance. First though, there be a nuisance. If, as you seem prepared to admit, the subtenant is doing no more than behaving normally, it I think it may be difficult to prove. When it comes to nuisance you have to sue the person causing the nuisance. Is it the leaseholder for not having carpets or the subtenant who is the one actually moving about?

You are in the classic position of someone who has rights, but where enforcing them is difficult and time consuming and, above all, where you risk expense wholly disproportionate to any benefit which may be achieved.

Comment

Tilled floors in flats should be banned ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
          Tilled floors in flats should be banned ..........
          Agreed. The solution is to increase the council tax!

I should though mention that the flat I live in here in Spain is all tiles and no carpets which is the norm. I have lived in three different flats with a flat above and never had a problem with sound transmission through the floor above.

Comment

I was doing an EICR on a flat yesterday. The floor had been taken up and put back in many places and wasn’t really secured down - so every other step made a noise. It’s going to be carpeted BUT the floor is still going to move.

the people downstairs are not going to be very happy

Comment

Thank you all very much for your replies. Lawcruncher , 2. applies. Why do you say I will have difficulty persuading the housing association to take action? I am prepared to pay their bills (bankrupting though they may be); surely the housing association has an obligation to enforce the terms of the lease, provided I do indemnify them for the legal fees... On what grounds could they legally refuse? Thanks so much for helping me understand this. I really am grateful.

Comment

Not all housing associations are difficult to spur into action but some are; the same can of course be said about any landlord. Apart from the expense, suing is time consuming. The association may not have the resources. You have to persuade them you have a good case. Noise is difficult to prove and in this case there is the question of who you should sue. If you do get the landlord to sue you cannot chose the solicitor. In this type of case you can soon run up a bill for thousands. Solicitors holding themselves out as experts reckon they need £400 an hour and three hours to write a letter of more than three lines - I only exaggerate a bit.

Comment

Thanks so much, Lawcruncher . This is very helpful.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Who can become a director of a RMC?
                    by David Mc
                    Hi, Could anyone advise who can actually become a director of a RMC. We are a block of 30 flats, each flat has one share in the RMC. We employ a managing agent. The RMC holds the freehold to the property. The MA is the company secretary.

There are currently 2 directors, although...
                    23-07-2021, 09:58 AM
                  • Reply to Who can become a director of a RMC?
                    by fos333
                    Hi,

If no modification is shown to regulation 88 requiring a director to be a member, then anyone that meets the requirements of regulation 88 can be nominated and consent to act to be a director.

Therefore 3b in the preliminary section should have no bearing, others may offer...
                    25-07-2021, 11:40 AM
                  • Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land
                    by Joubert
                    I am a director of a freehold company which comprises six leasehold flats in a converted building.

The leaseholder of the lower ground flat has taken to placing a small table and two chairs outside her front door for use when the weather is good. They items are not causing any obstruction....
                    24-07-2021, 17:06 PM
                  • Reply to Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land
                    by scot22
                    More knowledgeable people than me have already posted.
                    My view is if it is not permitted in the lease then not allowed to have table and chairs. If only access permitted then only access accepted. You can't cherry pick which parts of the lease you wish to obey.
                    25-07-2021, 11:35 AM
                    by ram
                    It is not normal to have table and chairs outside a front door.

I would have thought at a minimum. you should be stating that they only have the right to pass and re-pass over the common ground in front of the house, they should not make table and chairs a permanent occurance, I.E. to take
                    25-07-2021, 10:07 AM
                    by nukecad
                    TBH it sounds like the 'fellow director' doesn't like the noise being made, and so instead of having a word with the neighbour is going over the top and looking for a sledgehammer to crack a very small nut by trying to get the 'force' of the freehold company on his side.

It's a simple neighbour...
                    25-07-2021, 09:39 AM
                    by Lawcruncher
                    Not enough to amount to adverse possession and in any event you cannot be in adverse possession against your landlord: However, after a period any land occupied may be treated as part of the land leased. It has to be doubted though that there is sufficient possession for that. Make a diary note to review...
                    25-07-2021, 09:00 AM
                  • Reply to Who can become a director of a RMC?
                    by David Mc
                    Hi Foss

Our A of A under the Directors heading has 6 items listed 11 to 16

11a deals with clause 75 Table A not applying to the company.
                    11b number of directors, minimum2
                    12 deals with clause 84 Table A
                    13 Clause 87 does not apply
                    15 Clause 88 unsound...
                    25-07-2021, 08:29 AM
                  • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                    by ram
                    [/FONT][/SIZE]
                    • 1) Your possition - and mine, is NOT permitting letting will enhance the properties.
                    • 2) Bad tenants DO adversely affect property values - normally.
                    • 3) Your lease is not defective, so no need to change. And Judges HAVE gone along with the freeholder keeping the "no letting"
                    24-07-2021, 23:42 PM
                  • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                    by witsend55
                    Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
                    24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
                  Working...
                  X