Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of lighting in communal areas

Hi all,

Who is responsible if the lack of lighting in the communal area results in injury to the occupiers of the flats?

The lights for the two main blocks are controlled by two photocells that can be adjusted, but at 2100 hrs tonight the internal communal lights had still not come on.

The managing agent was instructed to carry out the work well over 18 months ago and it remains a problem. He was instructed to fit manual switches, on a time delay, on each level.

Whilst this lighting issue has not been resolved other lights have been fitted in an outside archway that come on in the day time.

Your lease should state who is responsible for the lighting. The agent is simply that, an agent, who acts on behalf of somebody else. Whether or not there may be a claim against the agent will depend on the terms of the agreement with that agent. You may wish to enquire what insurance cover is provided to deal with claims for injury to occupiers.

Comment

A serious problem -- and the underlying issue is that not too many freeholders go to prison for what they do.

In the meantime get some battery powered motion lights for £5 each and stick to walls

Comment

The managing agent should instruct an electrician to replace the old photocells by new ones.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The managing agent instructs the adjustment of the photocells, however, the current directors are ignorant to the issue now as it can't be impacting on them.

Further to the communal lighting not coming on early enough is the fact that the managing agent identified that the stair treads are worn and refurbishment should be considered.

This was back in July 2019 when he also identified that tread number 5 is loose and requires tightening, remarking that it is a minor repair to be carried out as part of other works whilst a contactor is on site. The contractor was listed as the managing agent who is charging £380 per month for a caretaker to attend.

I would suggest the managing is disregarding any H&S issues.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Flat entrance door - fire door compliance
            by MrSoffit
            Hi. Inspecting flat entrance doors has been a requirement since the 2005 Fire safety Order. The role of managing agents to inspect front doors is covered in appendices to the 2011 guidelines.

Should a managing agent have in-house expertise to carry out door inspections (required by an...
            18-06-2021, 21:11 PM
          • Reply to Flat entrance door - fire door compliance
            by jrsteeve
            Best practice is for the agent to appoint an external contractor to conduct an FRA and formal risk assessments. Checking for obvious damage to apartment doors would be completed during a standard site inspection by the agent. Any significant damage should then be followed up by a contractor assessment...
            18-06-2021, 21:36 PM
          • Reply to Handing back Right to Manage to Freeholder
            by jrsteeve
            Perhaps appoint a managing agent to take the stress away and deal with the difficult leaseholder?...
            18-06-2021, 21:29 PM
          • Handing back Right to Manage to Freeholder
            by carolebrntt
            An RTM was set up in 2005 of which I have been a Director ever since, and dealt with all the buildings requirements.
            Including Insurance, maintenance and getting documents sent to Companies House. I’m now 73 and wish to sell my flat and move on, as the responsibility is now affecting my health....
            17-06-2021, 09:53 AM
          • Reply to External wall surveys - S20
            by Samish
            We are going to make an application to dispense under S20ZA out of caution, however I don't personally feel that it should be classed as 'works'. It is an inspection by a qualified individual. If an asbestos survey exceeded the S20 threshold, or a fire risk assessment, you might challenge the cost on...
            18-06-2021, 15:17 PM
          • External wall surveys - S20
            by Samish
            Hi there, sorry if this has been covered before but I was hoping to get peoples view on costs for external wall surveys and whether they are qualifying works under S20? Colleagues of mine think that we need to go through S20 consultation, however I'm of the opinion that, while expensive and invasive,...
            17-06-2021, 15:41 PM
          • Reply to How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
            by eagle2
            We need some more information please. Are the leases directly between the freeholder and the leaseholders or is there an RMC involved?
            A block of 5 flats can probably be managed by the leaseholders themselves, especially if you are all contributing and you all get along well. The problem is when...
            18-06-2021, 15:17 PM
          • How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
            by riva
            I live in a share of freehold (block of 5 flats) and we are currently paying around 6k per flat for management/bills per annum. No concierge but there's a lift. It's an external management company that we outsource to. Thing is, I feel that they were coming up with rather expensive quotes and so I've...
            17-06-2021, 09:09 AM
          • Reply to ICO Data protection fee
            by eagle2
            There is a registration self assessment on the ICO web site. I suggest that you complete it and keep a copy if it states that you do not need to pay a registration fee....
            18-06-2021, 14:40 PM
          • ICO Data protection fee
            by parklands
            I have received a letter from ICO informing me that we need to pay a fee. Our managing agent says we must decide if we want to pay and offers no advice. Do other RMCs pay this?
            17-06-2021, 22:00 PM
          Working...
          X