Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management company refusing to provide second car parking permit

Hi,

I let out a freehold property where there is a car parking space in a car parking area that is managed by an agent (Name Removed). They have recently taken over from another agent, Name Removed. I've just spoken to them on the phone and the gentleman was not particularly helpful with my request for an additional permit. He said that he couldn't issue me one as the "lease states you are only allowed one permit". I've checked the covenants and there is no mention of this anywhere. Does anyone have any advice on where I stand with this?

Thanks,
    James

Is the car parking area a free for all, first come first served. and if so how many flats are there and how many parking spaces are there ?

are the parking spaces "demised" to you, and if so you probably only have one space to call your own and no one else can park in it.an same question, many flats are there and how many parking spaces are there ?

Comment

tunatuna please don't post identifying details or names, they have little bearing on the question or the replies, and can lead to legal issues.
      I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

I'm not sure how you think posters on here can help you with this specific situation.

If you have a case where someone say "per X" and then you read through X and it doesn't say that. Go back to them and say I've gone through it and don't see where it says that and ask them to point out where in the lease it says what they say.

On the other hand, what makes you think you can have 2 spaces? Are there others that have 2? If so, what did they do to get two?
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Rule 1. Ask questions like this in writing so the other party is duty bound to respond in writing

Rule 2. When they don't tell you why, ask them in writing where it says that you can't have 2 permits - then await a response ....

Comment

Hi thanks for the prompt responses. The space is demised to me. There is a designated space for each house on the estate. The second permit is requested for the same space - so that the tenants don't need to keep swapping permits between themselves which is not convenient. I have emailed them but not sure this counts as in writing so would I be better writing to them via letter? The previous managing agent had no issue with issuing a second permit.

Comment

So you are looking for an access token of some sort which allows different cars to park in just one space. Unless the lease says the demised space can only be used by one car with a pre-agreed registration, I cannot see how you can be denied the right to enter.

I doubt the lease mentions the word entry-permit.

Comment

My reaction would be. ( send a letter )
                1. If someone legaly lives / resides in your flat, they are entitled to use the demised parking space.( FACT )
                2. If there are 3 people leagaly living / residing in your flat, they are entitled to use the demised parking space.( FACT )
                3. Yes there is only one parking space, but the residents are leagally allowed to park ONE car in that space.
                4. YOU ( James ) give all residents of your flat permision to use your demised parking space ( naturaly only one car can park there at any one time.)
                5. ALL RESIDENTS of your flat CAN, and WILL use your demised parking space, and you ( managing agent ) have no authority to deny a resident the ability to park one car in the demised parking space.
                6. You (managing agent ) have no right to tell me WHO can use my parking space, as outined above
                7. You ( the Managing agent ) will issue parking passes for all cars belonging to the current legal, residents.
                8. Failure to do so, will enable me to consider taking court action against you AND the freeholder ( you act for the freeholder - by the way ) for depriving residents of my flat, their legal RIGHT to park their car in MY demised parking space
                9. your apology and issuance of the required parking passes are required with 7 days

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Communal area
                  by Starlane
                  Hi and thank you in advance for your help and guidance ....a letter has been sent as a last resort from my solicitor to the freeholder and the directors. Basically they lack the knowledge and experience to basically understand the lease let alone anything else like RICS code and L& T acts etc.......and...
                  16-07-2021, 23:09 PM
                • Reply to Communal area
                  by Starlane
                  Yes I get that Andrew thank you it could be a situation jumping from one dodgy ship to another dodgy ship, I have weighed this up pros and cons and yes bills could increase I can see that especially when no repair and maintenance of the building has been done for years and the place needs a number of...
                  25-07-2021, 14:38 PM
                • Advice on flat sale
                  by Ionela Preda
                  Guys, hi!

I represent a RTM Company, I am the Director of it, 11 flats in our block.
                  He have some people willing to sell their flat, and I am really “flat” on the legal aspect;

I need to give them: the Deed of Covenant, the Assignment Pack, I need to lift and re-apply...
                  24-07-2021, 15:54 PM
                • Reply to Advice on flat sale
                  by MrSoffit
                  Hi. As a director of an RTMC with a managing agent in toe we can leave the sales pack work to our managing agent, but there is one point that doesn't make sense to me here. Unless the lease requires the seller to get prior consent to assign -- as apart from the more standard requirement for the buyer...
                  25-07-2021, 14:31 PM
                • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                  by witsend55
                  Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
                  24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
                • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                  by ram
                  The Directors must inform the Managing agents that "they must adhere to the lease, and that the management company has not voted with a majority in favour of allowing the lease to be changed, therefore please continue to enforce the lease" as the directors so stipulate....
                  25-07-2021, 13:46 PM
                • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                  by witsend55
                  Thank you everyone. The thoughts here are in accordance with my own gut feeling, that our flat management co. should leave things as they are. I have been very worried where it all might lead to if we got psychologically bulldozed by the seller into agreeing to such a major change in the residency structure....
                  25-07-2021, 13:29 PM
                • Garden Furniture
                  by Sandy1986
                  We have been told (yes I know lol) by the management company that we can't have benches in the communal gardens due to health and safety. Sounds like a load of hogwash to me. Has anybody had problems with this?
                  21-07-2021, 20:20 PM
                • Reply to Garden Furniture
                  by Macromia
                  That could be completely valid - although it does depend on circumstances (including the answers to some of the questions that others have already asked).

The management company, on the freeholder's behalf if there is a separate freeholder, has a responsibility for the health and safety...
                  25-07-2021, 13:04 PM
                • Who can become a director of a RMC?
                  by David Mc
                  Hi, Could anyone advise who can actually become a director of a RMC. We are a block of 30 flats, each flat has one share in the RMC. We employ a managing agent. The RMC holds the freehold to the property. The MA is the company secretary.

There are currently 2 directors, although...
                  23-07-2021, 09:58 AM
                Working...
                X