lease is registered but freehold is not?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lease is registered but freehold is not?!

I have a copy of the lease which is registered with the LR but the freeholder which is a limited company was dissolved in 2002. I don't know how or why the LR registered the lease without asking for a copy of the freehold title deeds.....

Am I still able to serve a s42 to the landlord to extend the lease and ask the Tribunal to agree the premium or is the fact the freehold not registered going to stop this?

Equally can 2 of the 3 leaseholders acquire the freehold from the Crown or again is the fact the freehold not registered going to stop this?

Thanks

When was the lease granted?

Is your lease registered with good or absolute title?

​​​​​​​Has anyone been demanding rent or service charge or otherwise suggesting he is the landlord?

The fact the freehold is not registered does not rule out serving a S42 notice.

There is a procedure if the landlord is unknown: Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 (legislation.gov.uk)

Comment

Details of the current freeholder can be obtained by purchase of freehpld title from Land Registry Online , You can pay £3 by credit card and download the information. If the freehold title is under Bona Vacantia, a group of leaseholder can write to the BV Solicitor and offer to buy the freehold title.

Comment

The lease was granted in 1987 for 99 years.

Title is absolute.

Lease is registered with land registry but no record of the freehold.

There is no evidence of any landlord re service charge and ground rent. The landlord in the lease is a limited company dissolved in 2002.

I am wondering if we serve a S42 to the limited company to extend the lease, can we get a vesting order to extend the lease even though we can price the original landlord is dissolved but we can't prove that the landlord on the lease is the current landlord because there is no freehold registration?

Thanks

Comment

The advice guide given by LEASE for finding a missing freeholder is shown below..

You or your group of leaseholders can place an advert for 3 consecutive weeks in the local town or borough newspaper to say you wish to obtain the current address of missing freeholder for serving legal notices.

https://www.lease-advice.org/faq/i-a...t-should-i-do/

Comment

I think the Lease procedure relates to an individual not to a dissolved limited company as here.

I guess the issue with an unregistered title is that whilst the dissolved freeholder never registered the title how will the Crown under Escheat know that unregistered freehold title has reverted to the Crown rather than that unregistered freehold title being now owned by another party which we don't know who that is because it's not registered?!

Comment

Is this a lease that you already own? If so, I would want to know why the solicitor who did the conveyancing didn't highlight the issue and explain any potential problems (assuming that a solicitor was used and didn't explain this).

Comment

Your leasehold title records at Land Registry would show the name of freeholder company which is dissolved. The Freehold title record at Land Registry should show the address of the freehold company c/o Crown Solicitor .

https://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/con...pany-dissolved

Comment

Originally posted by Bengt Lagander View Post
                  The lease was granted in 1987 for 99 years.

Title is absolute.

Lease is registered with land registry but no record of the freehold.

There is no evidence of any landlord re service charge and ground rent. The landlord in the lease is a limited company dissolved in 2002.
                  In that case it looks like the freehold was unregistered in 1987. When the lease was granted the unregistered freehold title would have been deduced and produced to the Land Registry on registration of the lease. It if had not been produced the lease would not have been registered with absolute title.

Since unregistered titles are private there is no official way of discovering who the freeholder is. It cannot be assumed that the Crown is entitled to the freehold because the company may have sold it before being dissolved and before the area became subject to compulsory registration.

Originally posted by Bengt Lagander View Post
                  I am wondering if we serve a S42 to the limited company to extend the lease, can we get a vesting order to extend the lease even though we can price the original landlord is dissolved but we can't prove that the landlord on the lease is the current landlord because there is no freehold registration?
                  In view of the above and knowing that the landlord who granted the lease no longer exists, I think you are entitled to assume that the landlord is unknown and proceed accordingly as advised by LEASE.

Comment

"In that case it looks like the freehold was unregistered in 1987. When the lease was granted the unregistered freehold title would have been deduced and produced to the Land Registry on registration of the lease. It if had not been produced the lease would not have been registered with absolute title."

Does this imply the Land Registry should have a copy of the freehold title?

If so, and the Land Registry have lost it is it tough?

I maybe wrongly assumed that since compulsory registration was 1990 countrywide that because the freehold mat have been unregistered pre 1967 (relevant date for Telford) that lease registration could take place in 1987 without Regis traction if the freehold because in 1987 only a sale of the freehold mat have been subject to compulsory registration. But think you are saying no registration of lease possible without freehold registration...?

Comment

You could telephone the Land Registry for clarification. They are usually very helpful.

Comment

Perhaps you should visit the Land Registry Office ( serving your area ) and raise your problem with Customer Service Officer to check if any manual record exist for the freehold title of your site.

The Land Registy has kept on their computer : record of your leasehold title started in 1987 .
                        The Companies House records show the the freehold company was dissolved in 2002.
                        The Land Registry has no computer record for any transfers of freehold title between 1987 and 2002 .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Flat entrance door - fire door compliance
                          by MrSoffit
                          Hi. Inspecting flat entrance doors has been a requirement since the 2005 Fire safety Order. The role of managing agents to inspect front doors is covered in appendices to the 2011 guidelines.

Should a managing agent have in-house expertise to carry out door inspections (required by an...
                          18-06-2021, 21:11 PM
                        • Reply to Flat entrance door - fire door compliance
                          by jrsteeve
                          Best practice is for the agent to appoint an external contractor to conduct an FRA and formal risk assessments. Checking for obvious damage to apartment doors would be completed during a standard site inspection by the agent. Any significant damage should then be followed up by a contractor assessment...
                          18-06-2021, 21:36 PM
                        • Reply to Handing back Right to Manage to Freeholder
                          by jrsteeve
                          Perhaps appoint a managing agent to take the stress away and deal with the difficult leaseholder?...
                          18-06-2021, 21:29 PM
                        • Handing back Right to Manage to Freeholder
                          by carolebrntt
                          An RTM was set up in 2005 of which I have been a Director ever since, and dealt with all the buildings requirements.
                          Including Insurance, maintenance and getting documents sent to Companies House. I’m now 73 and wish to sell my flat and move on, as the responsibility is now affecting my health....
                          17-06-2021, 09:53 AM
                        • External wall surveys - S20
                          by Samish
                          Hi there, sorry if this has been covered before but I was hoping to get peoples view on costs for external wall surveys and whether they are qualifying works under S20? Colleagues of mine think that we need to go through S20 consultation, however I'm of the opinion that, while expensive and invasive,...
                          17-06-2021, 15:41 PM
                        • Reply to External wall surveys - S20
                          by Samish
                          We are going to make an application to dispense under S20ZA out of caution, however I don't personally feel that it should be classed as 'works'. It is an inspection by a qualified individual. If an asbestos survey exceeded the S20 threshold, or a fire risk assessment, you might challenge the cost on...
                          18-06-2021, 15:17 PM
                        • How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
                          by riva
                          I live in a share of freehold (block of 5 flats) and we are currently paying around 6k per flat for management/bills per annum. No concierge but there's a lift. It's an external management company that we outsource to. Thing is, I feel that they were coming up with rather expensive quotes and so I've...
                          17-06-2021, 09:09 AM
                        • Reply to How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
                          by eagle2
                          We need some more information please. Are the leases directly between the freeholder and the leaseholders or is there an RMC involved?
                          A block of 5 flats can probably be managed by the leaseholders themselves, especially if you are all contributing and you all get along well. The problem is when...
                          18-06-2021, 15:17 PM
                        • ICO Data protection fee
                          by parklands
                          I have received a letter from ICO informing me that we need to pay a fee. Our managing agent says we must decide if we want to pay and offers no advice. Do other RMCs pay this?
                          17-06-2021, 22:00 PM
                        • Reply to ICO Data protection fee
                          by eagle2
                          There is a registration self assessment on the ICO web site. I suggest that you complete it and keep a copy if it states that you do not need to pay a registration fee....
                          18-06-2021, 14:40 PM
                        Working...
                        X