Kafkaesque Notice of Transfer situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kafkaesque Notice of Transfer situation

I don’t fully understand the situation, but I’ll explain as best I can.

I sold a long leasehold in Autumn 2017. My solicitor held a retainer in respect of service charges, I think because the Autumn 2017 s/c bill (for y/e Spring 2018) was estimated, not ‘actual’.

I was, at the time, disputing an earlier s/c; and after lengthy correspondence, in Winter 2019 the freeholder finally admitted it had overcharged me several hundred pounds in respect of the y/e Spring 2017.

The service charge for y/e Spring 2017 having been finalised, and the actual sum for y/e Spring 2018 by then known, my solicitor dealt with the retainer, sent monies to the buyer’s solicitor, and refunded me the balance.

Meanwhile, I discovered that the service charge remained in my name, because the Notice of Transfer had been rejected by the freeholder in Autumn 2017 due to arrears on the service charge account.

The service charge remains in my name. The arrears now exceed £2,000.

I continue to correspond with the freeholder’s accounts dept. (It may be relevant to note that the freeholder is a Local Authority, and I’ve been dealing with multiple people over the years, at an outsourced accounts department).

They tell me the buyer’s solicitor must re-submit the Notice of Transfer, and the s/c due at the time of sale must be paid (about £700). They reiterate that I remain liable for the ongoing s/c of £2K+. They refuse to contact the buyer or the buyer’s solicitor.

I have of course been in touch with my solicitor several times, and AFAIK I have paid whatever I was meant to pay. My solicitor says he will chase the buyer’s solicitor, but nothing ever happens. I gather the buyer’s solicitor simply fails to respond.

And so it goes round in circles.

Does anyone have an ideas as to how to sort this out?

Also, am I actually legally liable for s/c beyond the sale date? Given that I have no control over the buyer’s solicitor re-submitting the Notice of Transfer? (I can’t immediately find a copy of the lease, but will dig it out if essential).

P.S. Old timers may remember me as the user formerly known as Westminster. Following the sale of this leasehold flat, and after many years of various leasehold nightmares, I am now a happy freehold owner. (And no longer an AST landlord).

Nice to see you back. We miss you!

"Meanwhile, I discovered that the service charge remained in my name, because the Notice of Transfer had been rejected by the freeholder in Autumn 2017 due to arrears on the service charge account."

A notice of transfer cannot be rejected for any reason. Consider its purpose: to let the landlord know there has been a change of tenant. something the landlord needs to know. It is not some procedure required to perfect the transfer. The landlord does not get to decide who his tenants are. If the transferee is registered as proprietor at HM Land Registry that is evidence that the transferee is the tenant. If it were otherwise the system of land registration would be undermined.

If the lease was granted on or after 1st January 1996 then you were released from your obligations on the transfer (assuming it was not an unauthorised transfer): Landlord and Tenant (Covenants) Act 1995 (legislation.gov.uk)

As an aside, the transferee seems to have yet another supine solicitor. He should have challenged the purported rejection of the notice.

Comment

I miss you too Lawcruncher! Many thanks for your extremely helpful reply and link. (The lease was 'extended'/new lease granted when I bought the flat, which was post-Jan 1996).

What you say makes perfect sense, of course. It's what I suspected but I needed more solid ground, and now I have it in the form of your expert opinion, and statute to boot

I will now ask the accounts person who is currently pestering me to provide legal arguments in support of his position, and take it from there. I'll keep Section 5 Landlord and Tenant (Covenants) Act 1995 in reserve for later deployment.

The only remaining question is the matter of the s/c owing at the date of sale, - the sum which would've been apportioned between me and the buyer. According to the freeholder's recent s/c statement of account, no payments were made in settlement of the estimated s/c which fell due just before the sale in Autumn 2017. When should it have been paid and by whom? (given that it would've been apportioned, would my solicitor have paid my portion to the buyer's solicitor?) I'll ask my solicitor also, but as you may have gathered, he hasn't been very helpful overall in terms of trying to resolve this.

Comment

I would bring section 5 up straightaway. It should short-circuit things.

As to your last paragraph it will depend on when the lease makes the payment due. If the amount had not been calculated before completion I do not see how it can have been due before completion.

Comment

I think you can report your buyer's solicitor to the SRA ( Solicitors Regulation Authority )

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
            I think you can report your buyer's solicitor to the SRA ( Solicitors Regulation Authority )
            Not sure there is any justification for that. It seems he served notice of assignment. It is not his fault if the landlord purported to reject it, though one would have expected him to follow it up, which he may well have done. It is also not his fault if the landlord has the law round his neck. Even if he had failed to serve notice of assignment Westminster is not his client.

Comment

Its worth trying because it does not cost W2 much to make the complaint to SRA. The solicitor firm , although W2 is not their client, is covered by liability insurance for mistakes .

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                Its worth trying because it does not cost W2 much to make the complaint to SRA. The solicitor firm , although W2 is not their client, is covered by liability insurance for mistakes .
                The problem is that, if reporting like this is used too often in circumstances when the person being reported hasn't actually done anything wrong, it diverts resources from investigations into people who genuinely do need to be investigated.

Comment

The SRA only deals with misconduct. If anything is involved here it is negligence (and even that looks very doubtful) and the solicitor owes no duty of care to Westminster. For other complaints the Legal Ombudsman is the one to contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                    I would bring section 5 up straightaway. It should short-circuit things.

As to your last paragraph it will depend on when the lease makes the payment due. If the amount had not been calculated before completion I do not see how it can have been due before completion.
                    Okay, will do.

I'm fairly certain the estimated s/c was due at the time of completion. It was always invoiced mid-financial year in the Autumn (estimated, then adjusted the following year).

Regardless, it doesn't seem to have been paid, according to the statement of account. But there were a couple of mystery 'receipts' in early 2020, two months apart - not enough to settle the s/c due at the date of completion, however. I have asked the accounts person who made these payments.

Comment

The service charges should be apportioned up to the date of sale. The lease usually requires estimated amounts to be paid in advance so you would normally be entitled to receive a credit with a further credit or deduction depending on whether or not the actual expenditure was less or exceeded the budget. The actual amount cannot be calculated until the annual service charge accounts are prepared so most solicitors hold monies back in case there is an additional payment to the purchaser.

Comment

The accounts person ignored my reference to Section 5 Landlord and Tenant (Covenants) Act 1995. So I said please pass the matter to the landlord's litigation solicitors, - that the only way forward was to bring a claim against me. That was a month ago. I'll chase in a couple of weeks if nothing happens.

Originally posted by westminster2 View Post
                        But there were a couple of mystery 'receipts' in early 2020, two months apart - not enough to settle the s/c due at the date of completion, however. I have asked the accounts person who made these payments.
                        They told me the payments had been "removed" from the account since I had said I hadn't made the payments. No further explanation offered.

Comment

if i were you I might download for £3 and send to the landlord a copy of the registered entry showing the name of the current lessee and his address for service. It will show the date of registration and the date of transfer. I would add that I have no interest in the lease and so far as I am concerned you can try to forfeit

i am sorry that the local authority, or the people to whom they have outsourced are so stupid and ill informed

Comment

Thank you flyingfreehold. I'll download the registered entry to submit as evidence should the LA proceed with a claim again me. The outsourced accounts people don't deny that there is a new leaseholder, they just doggedly insist that I'm liable. The only way forward is for the matter to pass to the LA's solicitors, i.e. people who might be acquainted with the law.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster2 View Post
                              The only way forward is for the matter to pass to the LA's solicitors, i.e. people who might be acquainted with the law.
                              Given some of the stuff we have seen on here lately, don't bank on it!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Resigning as RTM Director
                                by MrT2014
                                Hi,

After several years as a Director handling the admin for our small RTM I've had enough chasing the other two flat owners/directors who contribute very little and endlessly footdrag when stuff needs to be done. 90% of my time is spent sending reminder emails and I'm pretty much done...
                                20-06-2021, 13:28 PM
                              • Reply to Resigning as RTM Director
                                by MrT2014
                                Thanks for all your replies & input. On the one hand I don't want to resign and cut off my nose to spite my face. But 7+ plus years of trying the carrot/stick approach with the other leasholders hasn't worked. They can't grasp (or choose to ignore) that it will cost many times more to ignore issues...
                                24-06-2021, 00:24 AM
                              • Reply to Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
                                by Lawcruncher
                                £65 is way over the top for registration so anything exceeding it is unreasonable.

Almost by definition a tenancy cannot be said to be informal. A licence is not covered by the clause.

What is the offending structure? When was it built? Please quote the alterations clause.
                                23-06-2021, 23:25 PM
                              • Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
                                by Hooper
                                I have engaged solicitors on this but they have been somewhat lackluster so I am seeking opinion.

Leaseholders have built on property not demised to them (I am the freeholder). I am currently requiring them to take down the offending structure to avoid action for breach of covenant and...
                                23-06-2021, 18:02 PM
                              • Reply to How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
                                by ram
                                Sounds lke you only have 2 Directors, is this correct.

If the block ( 5 flats ) is contracting out the management of the block, And you will be contracting out to a managing Agent , not a company then there must ba a management company with all 5 leaseholdrs having shares in that company,
                                23-06-2021, 22:03 PM
                              • How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
                                by riva
                                I live in a share of freehold (block of 5 flats) and we are currently paying around 6k per flat for management/bills per annum. No concierge but there's a lift. It's an external management company that we outsource to. Thing is, I feel that they were coming up with rather expensive quotes and so I've...
                                17-06-2021, 09:09 AM
                              • Reply to Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
                                by ram
                                You are the freeholder, the leaseholder of the flat HAS to abide by the lease.

Assuming the flat is sub-let ( let, and rent being paid )
                                Either the sub-tenants are paying rent to an agent or the landlord of the flat. If to the agents, the agent has the flat owners address.
                                23-06-2021, 21:47 PM
                              • Reply to Management Company issues and Service Charge
                                by MrSoffit
                                That's leasehold. Yes there is an 18 month rule but I'll bet a jam sandwich the agent has a file of letters sent to you contempor (?) at the time. All date stamped and ready for court. If you can pay - pay. Pay under protest in bold type if necessary, but pay. Complain later. It will work out cheap...
                                23-06-2021, 21:46 PM
                              • Management Company issues and Service Charge
                                by Bokun
                                A bit of a complicated situation.

I co own a property. I live at the property and the other owner lives at another address. I just got a bill for unpaid service charges that have built up over 6 years as the service charge went up but the standing order that was set up stayed the same....
                                23-06-2021, 21:17 PM
                              • Reply to Resigning as RTM Director
                                by ram
                                Selling my leasehold property ? you ask, because I told MrT2014 to sell up.
                                But I take no prisoners, don't care what I say if it's the truth ( of course in legal proceedures, one has to be delicate with ones words )

I find a lot of people, when advised what to do, are too scared to...
                                23-06-2021, 10:27 AM
                              Working...
                              X