Is an email from the freeholder enough for consent to start works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is an email from the freeholder enough for consent to start works?

We're doing some renovations to our property, and was asked by the freeholder to pay £1,500 for the legal consent etc. Right before issuing the consent they noticed that we were doing work to structural walls, and asked for structural building drawings, which we sent. Now, they're saying we can start the works but they won't give us the formal signed consent until they've had a surveyor inspect the works (at an additional cost of £1,000 to ourselves).

Can we rely on this email from the freeholder below to start works?

"I am pleased to confirm that we are happy for you to proceed with the proposed internal renovations and redecorations in accordance with the conditions set out in XXX City Council planning approval dated DD MMM 2021"

To be clear - we're not questioning the current costs, just whether we can rely on the email rather than a signed document. I'm concerned we'll be held over a barrel at a later stage and be asked for more money, or to return the flat to the original condition (which would be impossible at that stage).

No way should the freeholder have said they happy for you to proceed with the proposed internal renovations, as that implies consent / authorisation is given.
    But freeholder is entitled to have his surveyor inspect the plans and work quotations before work commences and after completion.

Freeholder has shot himself in the foot.
    Don't proceed until Licence to alter,

But, get it in writing before you start, as emails can be forged, and freeholder in receipt of all monies requested, .

Comment

"I am pleased to confirm that we are happy for you to proceed with the proposed internal renovations and redecorations in accordance with the conditions set out in XXX City Council planning approval dated DD MMM 2021"

That clearly amounts to consent. There was a in fact a case where the landlord said that consent was given subject to a formal licence being given and the court held that that amounted to sufficient consent.

You should be questioning the costs. £1,500 is outrageous for a licence. I recently drafted a precedent from scratch to post in the forum and it only took me 15 minutes. Lawyers have their precedents which cover most cases cut and dried. All they have to do is insert the parties and the lease details and copy the description of the works. it is low grade work and many lawyers will get their secretaries or juniors to do it.

Comment

Thank you both. Lawcruncher do you know the name of the case where that happened?

Comment

commercial_property_group_landlords_beware_of_acci dentally_granting_consent_to_tenants_august_2009.p df (russell-cooke.co.uk)

Comment

Thank you Lawcruncher. That gives us confidence to proceed. I agree that the licence costs are high (£1500+£1000 for the surveyor), but I don't have the heart or will to contest it. I'm more concerned about being held in breach of lease in future.

Comment

The law is clear. However, I appreciate that you are nervous about proceeding without a formal consent. If that is going to worry you unduly, then go for the formal consent. If you do, I urge you to contest the extortionate fees.

In the first instance though, I would write and say that you have taken legal advice which is that consent has already been given and that you propose to go ahead with the works, Quote the case mentioned above. You do not of course need to do carry out the works, but they may have second thoughts.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Resigning as RTM Director
                by MrT2014
                Hi,

After several years as a Director handling the admin for our small RTM I've had enough chasing the other two flat owners/directors who contribute very little and endlessly footdrag when stuff needs to be done. 90% of my time is spent sending reminder emails and I'm pretty much done...
                20-06-2021, 13:28 PM
              • Reply to Resigning as RTM Director
                by MrT2014
                Thanks for all your replies & input. On the one hand I don't want to resign and cut off my nose to spite my face. But 7+ plus years of trying the carrot/stick approach with the other leasholders hasn't worked. They can't grasp (or choose to ignore) that it will cost many times more to ignore issues...
                24-06-2021, 00:24 AM
              • Reply to Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
                by Lawcruncher
                £65 is way over the top for registration so anything exceeding it is unreasonable.

Almost by definition a tenancy cannot be said to be informal. A licence is not covered by the clause.

What is the offending structure? When was it built? Please quote the alterations clause.
                23-06-2021, 23:25 PM
              • Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
                by Hooper
                I have engaged solicitors on this but they have been somewhat lackluster so I am seeking opinion.

Leaseholders have built on property not demised to them (I am the freeholder). I am currently requiring them to take down the offending structure to avoid action for breach of covenant and...
                23-06-2021, 18:02 PM
              • How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
                by riva
                I live in a share of freehold (block of 5 flats) and we are currently paying around 6k per flat for management/bills per annum. No concierge but there's a lift. It's an external management company that we outsource to. Thing is, I feel that they were coming up with rather expensive quotes and so I've...
                17-06-2021, 09:09 AM
              • Reply to How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
                by ram
                Sounds lke you only have 2 Directors, is this correct.

If the block ( 5 flats ) is contracting out the management of the block, And you will be contracting out to a managing Agent , not a company then there must ba a management company with all 5 leaseholdrs having shares in that company,
                23-06-2021, 22:03 PM
              • Reply to Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
                by ram
                You are the freeholder, the leaseholder of the flat HAS to abide by the lease.

Assuming the flat is sub-let ( let, and rent being paid )
                Either the sub-tenants are paying rent to an agent or the landlord of the flat. If to the agents, the agent has the flat owners address.
                23-06-2021, 21:47 PM
              • Management Company issues and Service Charge
                by Bokun
                A bit of a complicated situation.

I co own a property. I live at the property and the other owner lives at another address. I just got a bill for unpaid service charges that have built up over 6 years as the service charge went up but the standing order that was set up stayed the same....
                23-06-2021, 21:17 PM
              • Reply to Management Company issues and Service Charge
                by MrSoffit
                That's leasehold. Yes there is an 18 month rule but I'll bet a jam sandwich the agent has a file of letters sent to you contempor (?) at the time. All date stamped and ready for court. If you can pay - pay. Pay under protest in bold type if necessary, but pay. Complain later. It will work out cheap...
                23-06-2021, 21:46 PM
              • Reply to Resigning as RTM Director
                by ram
                Selling my leasehold property ? you ask, because I told MrT2014 to sell up.
                But I take no prisoners, don't care what I say if it's the truth ( of course in legal proceedures, one has to be delicate with ones words )

I find a lot of people, when advised what to do, are too scared to...
                23-06-2021, 10:27 AM
              Working...
              X