Status of objects on common parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Status of objects on common parts

A policeman once told me that anything left on the common parts of our small block of flats legally belongs to the freehold company and can be moved. I was then a company officer and this was during a conversation following an incident where a resident had sold one of the fence panels to the owner of a neighbouring property after storm damage. In case you're wondering the policeman sucked his teeth and said the magic words 'civil matter' 'nothing to do with us'.

This was perhaps twenty years ago. More recently I have read that it might be a criminal offence to interfere with objects that residents put on the common parts even if the lease forbids it. So the only way to get rid of offending objects is what then, legal action? Sledgehammer to crack nut comes to mind.

I have moved things over the years. Spare tyres, extra bins, barbecues, things that people put outside because they don't want to mess up their interiors but see nothing wrong with messing up the exterior which they regard as belonging to nobody - so it's ok. Should I be in jail?

I ask this because it raises the general question of whether lease covenants should be easier to enforce.
    Is it absurd that the potential high cost of enforcement deters action and makes the lease a useless piece of paper.

My view would be that articles left in the hallway should have a note attached (and photographed) requesting that the item be removed within say 7 days explaining that if it is not removed then the item will be taken away to a secure place and will be returned on payment of the storage costs. The note should advise that it is a breach of the regulations (invariably in the lease) and therefore a breach of the lease. This will avoid any accusation of theft.

The landlord must not be placed in a position where there is a potential breach of health and safety because of items cluttering up the communal hallway.

Comment

As a managing agent, my approach is similar to that described by sgclacy. We put a note on with a deadline to remove, and depending on the issue the item may be taking to a bin, or held if they're valuable. Ultimately, we're contracted to ensure the building is compliant with H&S and Fire Regs, as well as the lease regulations, so this is the main thing (even though that doesn't make us popular with other residents).

I certainly wouldn't be worried about moving or removing personal items in the hallways as we've given plenty of opportunity to remove them (letters and notes on the items) so if that's ignored, that's as good as them being fly tipped.

That said, I agree with Nelly Muggins suggesting covenants should be easier to enforce. Effectively, a lot of them are un-enforceable without serious legal costs - something which residents have no idea about when they become a leaseholder. I believe the majority of covenants are convenient for developers when they're trying to sell the flats, but become fairly useless after that.

Comment

sgclacy and TheGoodAgent. Thank you, That's interesting. We've had more problems outdoors. What about bicycles chained to trees? Same principles apply I suppose.
        I just find it depressing that people do things like this. Like spitting out chewing gum in the public street.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelly Muggins View Post
          A policeman once told me that anything left on the common parts of our small block of flats legally belongs to the freehold company and can be moved.
          Incorrect.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Flat entrance door - fire door compliance
            by MrSoffit
            Hi. Inspecting flat entrance doors has been a requirement since the 2005 Fire safety Order. The role of managing agents to inspect front doors is covered in appendices to the 2011 guidelines.

Should a managing agent have in-house expertise to carry out door inspections (required by an...
            18-06-2021, 21:11 PM
          • Reply to Flat entrance door - fire door compliance
            by jrsteeve
            Best practice is for the agent to appoint an external contractor to conduct an FRA and formal risk assessments. Checking for obvious damage to apartment doors would be completed during a standard site inspection by the agent. Any significant damage should then be followed up by a contractor assessment...
            18-06-2021, 21:36 PM
          • Handing back Right to Manage to Freeholder
            by carolebrntt
            An RTM was set up in 2005 of which I have been a Director ever since, and dealt with all the buildings requirements.
            Including Insurance, maintenance and getting documents sent to Companies House. I’m now 73 and wish to sell my flat and move on, as the responsibility is now affecting my health....
            17-06-2021, 09:53 AM
          • Reply to Handing back Right to Manage to Freeholder
            by jrsteeve
            Perhaps appoint a managing agent to take the stress away and deal with the difficult leaseholder?...
            18-06-2021, 21:29 PM
          • Reply to External wall surveys - S20
            by Samish
            We are going to make an application to dispense under S20ZA out of caution, however I don't personally feel that it should be classed as 'works'. It is an inspection by a qualified individual. If an asbestos survey exceeded the S20 threshold, or a fire risk assessment, you might challenge the cost on...
            18-06-2021, 15:17 PM
          • External wall surveys - S20
            by Samish
            Hi there, sorry if this has been covered before but I was hoping to get peoples view on costs for external wall surveys and whether they are qualifying works under S20? Colleagues of mine think that we need to go through S20 consultation, however I'm of the opinion that, while expensive and invasive,...
            17-06-2021, 15:41 PM
          • How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
            by riva
            I live in a share of freehold (block of 5 flats) and we are currently paying around 6k per flat for management/bills per annum. No concierge but there's a lift. It's an external management company that we outsource to. Thing is, I feel that they were coming up with rather expensive quotes and so I've...
            17-06-2021, 09:09 AM
          • Reply to How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
            by eagle2
            We need some more information please. Are the leases directly between the freeholder and the leaseholders or is there an RMC involved?
            A block of 5 flats can probably be managed by the leaseholders themselves, especially if you are all contributing and you all get along well. The problem is when...
            18-06-2021, 15:17 PM
          • ICO Data protection fee
            by parklands
            I have received a letter from ICO informing me that we need to pay a fee. Our managing agent says we must decide if we want to pay and offers no advice. Do other RMCs pay this?
            17-06-2021, 22:00 PM
          • Reply to ICO Data protection fee
            by eagle2
            There is a registration self assessment on the ICO web site. I suggest that you complete it and keep a copy if it states that you do not need to pay a registration fee....
            18-06-2021, 14:40 PM
          Working...
          X