RICS code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I get that Macromia thanks however it would be prudent and good estate management to ensure that all leaseholders contributed past and present so that the ones in situ are not stung for hefty bills that other leaseholders have had the benefit of the building and not contributed to.

Comment

Usually for self -manage blocks , the directors , who are leaseholders , do not charge for their services .

Comment

The RICD Code can be used as evidence in a court or tribunal case by a leasehold manager and a leaseholder It not only sets out the statutory obligations that apply to the management of leasehold properties, but also the additional requirements which should be followed as a matter of good practice.
        Q1 for me has the code been approved by the Secretary of State and what is the current version and date?

Comment

Hi,

the answer is here;

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...article/3/made

Comment

Originally posted by fos333 View Post
            Although that needs to be read in conjunction with the clause that precedes it:
            https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...article/2/made

The 3rd Edition of 'The Code' is currently approved.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlane View Post
              Yes I get that Macromia thanks however it would be prudent and good estate management to ensure that all leaseholders contributed past and present so that the ones in situ are not stung for hefty bills that other leaseholders have had the benefit of the building and not contributed to.
              It may be "prudent and good estate management...", but only if the people in control of the funding can be trusted.

I would personally prefer to have no reserve fund and to be in control of saving myself (and, if I had the intention of buying another leasehold property, would take any foreseeable large costs into account by reducing the offer price by an appropriate amount if there is no reserve).

Comment

Originally posted by Macromia View Post

Although that needs to be read in conjunction with the clause that precedes it:
                https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...article/2/made

The 3rd Edition of 'The Code' is currently approved.
                I did not intend to assume either interpretation, the OP can make their own assumptions based on all 4 articles.

Comment

Originally posted by fos333 View Post
                  It says withdrawal Withdrawal of approval

3.—(1) The Secretary of State withdraws approval of “Service Charge Residential Management Code” (ISBN 0 85406 643 8) in so far as it applies to the management of residential properties in England.

Comment

Originally posted by Macromia View Post

It may be "prudent and good estate management...", but only if the people in control of the funding can be trusted.

I would personally prefer to have no reserve fund and to be in control of saving myself (and, if I had the intention of buying another leasehold property, would take any foreseeable large costs into account by reducing the offer price by an appropriate amount if there is no reserve).
                    I tend to agree with you about possibly saving for the expenses myself but the lease does require the operation of a sinking fund, which as you say causes me concern as I can see them using the fund willynilly and then coming back for even more monies because they have spent it not necessarily on what it should be spent on...

Comment

3.—(1) The Secretary of State withdraws approval of “Service Charge Residential Management Code” (ISBN 0 85406 643 8) in so far as it applies to the management of residential properties in England.
                      As Macromia stated in #65 the 3rd Edition of 'The Code' is currently approved.

See;

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../made/data.xht

Comment

Which is why Article 2 needs to be read as well.

Article 2 gives approval to the third edition of the code.
                        Article 3 withdraws approval of the earlier version so that there can be no argument which applies.

Eventually the 4th edition will likely become the approved version and the approval of the 3rd version will be withdrawn.

Comment

Note on page 6 of the code, it states that compliance with the best practice guidance given is not mandatory but managing agents (and presumably others) should be able to justify departures from it. That implies that there may be satisfactory grounds for not complying with best practice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Resigning as RTM Director
                            by MrT2014
                            Hi,

After several years as a Director handling the admin for our small RTM I've had enough chasing the other two flat owners/directors who contribute very little and endlessly footdrag when stuff needs to be done. 90% of my time is spent sending reminder emails and I'm pretty much done...
                            20-06-2021, 13:28 PM
                          • Reply to Resigning as RTM Director
                            by MrT2014
                            Thanks for all your replies & input. On the one hand I don't want to resign and cut off my nose to spite my face. But 7+ plus years of trying the carrot/stick approach with the other leasholders hasn't worked. They can't grasp (or choose to ignore) that it will cost many times more to ignore issues...
                            24-06-2021, 00:24 AM
                          • Reply to Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
                            by Lawcruncher
                            £65 is way over the top for registration so anything exceeding it is unreasonable.

Almost by definition a tenancy cannot be said to be informal. A licence is not covered by the clause.

What is the offending structure? When was it built? Please quote the alterations clause.
                            23-06-2021, 23:25 PM
                          • Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
                            by Hooper
                            I have engaged solicitors on this but they have been somewhat lackluster so I am seeking opinion.

Leaseholders have built on property not demised to them (I am the freeholder). I am currently requiring them to take down the offending structure to avoid action for breach of covenant and...
                            23-06-2021, 18:02 PM
                          • Reply to How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
                            by ram
                            Sounds lke you only have 2 Directors, is this correct.

If the block ( 5 flats ) is contracting out the management of the block, And you will be contracting out to a managing Agent , not a company then there must ba a management company with all 5 leaseholdrs having shares in that company,
                            23-06-2021, 22:03 PM
                          • How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
                            by riva
                            I live in a share of freehold (block of 5 flats) and we are currently paying around 6k per flat for management/bills per annum. No concierge but there's a lift. It's an external management company that we outsource to. Thing is, I feel that they were coming up with rather expensive quotes and so I've...
                            17-06-2021, 09:09 AM
                          • Reply to Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
                            by ram
                            You are the freeholder, the leaseholder of the flat HAS to abide by the lease.

Assuming the flat is sub-let ( let, and rent being paid )
                            Either the sub-tenants are paying rent to an agent or the landlord of the flat. If to the agents, the agent has the flat owners address.
                            23-06-2021, 21:47 PM
                          • Reply to Management Company issues and Service Charge
                            by MrSoffit
                            That's leasehold. Yes there is an 18 month rule but I'll bet a jam sandwich the agent has a file of letters sent to you contempor (?) at the time. All date stamped and ready for court. If you can pay - pay. Pay under protest in bold type if necessary, but pay. Complain later. It will work out cheap...
                            23-06-2021, 21:46 PM
                          • Management Company issues and Service Charge
                            by Bokun
                            A bit of a complicated situation.

I co own a property. I live at the property and the other owner lives at another address. I just got a bill for unpaid service charges that have built up over 6 years as the service charge went up but the standing order that was set up stayed the same....
                            23-06-2021, 21:17 PM
                          • Reply to Resigning as RTM Director
                            by ram
                            Selling my leasehold property ? you ask, because I told MrT2014 to sell up.
                            But I take no prisoners, don't care what I say if it's the truth ( of course in legal proceedures, one has to be delicate with ones words )

I find a lot of people, when advised what to do, are too scared to...
                            23-06-2021, 10:27 AM
                          Working...
                          X