RICS code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I get that Macromia thanks however it would be prudent and good estate management to ensure that all leaseholders contributed past and present so that the ones in situ are not stung for hefty bills that other leaseholders have had the benefit of the building and not contributed to.

Comment

Usually for self -manage blocks , the directors , who are leaseholders , do not charge for their services .

Comment

The RICD Code can be used as evidence in a court or tribunal case by a leasehold manager and a leaseholder It not only sets out the statutory obligations that apply to the management of leasehold properties, but also the additional requirements which should be followed as a matter of good practice.
        Q1 for me has the code been approved by the Secretary of State and what is the current version and date?

Comment

Hi,

the answer is here;

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...article/3/made

Comment

Originally posted by fos333 View Post
            Although that needs to be read in conjunction with the clause that precedes it:
            https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...article/2/made

The 3rd Edition of 'The Code' is currently approved.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlane View Post
              Yes I get that Macromia thanks however it would be prudent and good estate management to ensure that all leaseholders contributed past and present so that the ones in situ are not stung for hefty bills that other leaseholders have had the benefit of the building and not contributed to.
              It may be "prudent and good estate management...", but only if the people in control of the funding can be trusted.

I would personally prefer to have no reserve fund and to be in control of saving myself (and, if I had the intention of buying another leasehold property, would take any foreseeable large costs into account by reducing the offer price by an appropriate amount if there is no reserve).

Comment

Originally posted by Macromia View Post

Although that needs to be read in conjunction with the clause that precedes it:
                https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...article/2/made

The 3rd Edition of 'The Code' is currently approved.
                I did not intend to assume either interpretation, the OP can make their own assumptions based on all 4 articles.

Comment

Originally posted by fos333 View Post
                  It says withdrawal Withdrawal of approval

3.—(1) The Secretary of State withdraws approval of “Service Charge Residential Management Code” (ISBN 0 85406 643 8) in so far as it applies to the management of residential properties in England.

Comment

Originally posted by Macromia View Post

It may be "prudent and good estate management...", but only if the people in control of the funding can be trusted.

I would personally prefer to have no reserve fund and to be in control of saving myself (and, if I had the intention of buying another leasehold property, would take any foreseeable large costs into account by reducing the offer price by an appropriate amount if there is no reserve).
                    I tend to agree with you about possibly saving for the expenses myself but the lease does require the operation of a sinking fund, which as you say causes me concern as I can see them using the fund willynilly and then coming back for even more monies because they have spent it not necessarily on what it should be spent on...

Comment

3.—(1) The Secretary of State withdraws approval of “Service Charge Residential Management Code” (ISBN 0 85406 643 8) in so far as it applies to the management of residential properties in England.
                      As Macromia stated in #65 the 3rd Edition of 'The Code' is currently approved.

See;

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../made/data.xht

Comment

Which is why Article 2 needs to be read as well.

Article 2 gives approval to the third edition of the code.
                        Article 3 withdraws approval of the earlier version so that there can be no argument which applies.

Eventually the 4th edition will likely become the approved version and the approval of the 3rd version will be withdrawn.

Comment

Note on page 6 of the code, it states that compliance with the best practice guidance given is not mandatory but managing agents (and presumably others) should be able to justify departures from it. That implies that there may be satisfactory grounds for not complying with best practice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Worth buying flat with 15 years remaining?
                            by ram
                            With 15 years lease remaining, the property is almost valued at nil.

And no lender will give you a mortgage because the terms of a lease state that when the leased term ends, you give the property back to the freeholder, and you get no money for it.
                            A lease is a long term rental in
                            20-06-2021, 22:40 PM
                          • Worth buying flat with 15 years remaining?
                            by carcarrot94
                            Saw a flat in London for around 460k with 15 years remaining on lease.
                            Central London, prime area.

Would this property be unsavable in terms of lease extensions? How come people are wary to buy these?

What would it cost?...
                            20-06-2021, 21:58 PM
                          • Reply to Title deeds don't match floor plan
                            by carcarrot94
                            No it's in a purpose build flat building. One flat has extended out to the top floor staircase area where there was a window....
                            20-06-2021, 21:59 PM
                          • Title deeds don't match floor plan
                            by carcarrot94
                            Hi everyone!

I am a first-time buyer and saw a flat that I was interested in. It has a 999 year old lease. It is on sale through probate as the previous owner died.

The problem with it is that there seems to be an extra bedroom added by the leaseholder and that is not reflected...
                            07-06-2021, 18:22 PM
                          • Reply to Title deeds don't match floor plan
                            by carcarrot94
                            I think around 15 years ago?...
                            20-06-2021, 21:59 PM
                          • Resigning as RTM Director
                            by MrT2014
                            Hi,

After several years as a Director handling the admin for our small RTM I've had enough chasing the other two flat owners/directors who contribute very little and endlessly footdrag when stuff needs to be done. 90% of my time is spent sending reminder emails and I'm pretty much done...
                            20-06-2021, 13:28 PM
                          • Reply to Resigning as RTM Director
                            by ram

It certainly IS,

But once no longer a Director or Company Sec, you can shout at them as much as you like.
                            They can't sack you, can't force you out, can't make you pay more service charges just because you upset them.
                            They won't talk to you or say good morning to you when
                            20-06-2021, 21:56 PM
                            by MrSoffit
                            Hi,

Of course you can just resign. Write a letter to the registered office saying " I resign as a director of X Limited with immediate effect". No need to get bitter and rowdy. Hand back the keys to the company Rolls Royce and any company documents (insurance documents etc) to...
                            20-06-2021, 20:54 PM
                            by ram
                            Downsides.
                            You wont force their hand to do anything.
                            They will just do nothing, no maintenence, no legal requirements implemented.( Saves them money )

Possibility of the company being struck off because the others wont submit accounts to Companies house, ( saves the acountants
                            20-06-2021, 20:51 PM
                          • Help understanding wording of lease for alterations covenant
                            by NotTheLastLeaseholder
                            I'm a leaseholder who has been researching all things lease related as to get a better understanding of the terms. I think I'm starting to get there but I am struggling with the phrasing in the covenant concerning alterations.

Here is my understanding thus far:

THE DEMISE...
                            20-06-2021, 19:50 PM
                          Working...
                          X