Advice for difficult and evasive freeholder - quoting fees not listed in the lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for difficult and evasive freeholder - quoting fees not listed in the lease

Hi everyone,

Just for context, I am the leaseholder of a maisonette with a new freeholder. I have had the property since 2013 and have never had any issues with the previous freeholder. The new freeholder came into the picture around May 2019.

Immediately he began requesting money for tenancy agreement notices (which I never had to pay before but was not against, so long as its a part of my lease). He requested £100 for the tenancy agreement notice but refused to clarify where in the lease it specified such a charge.

After challenging this fee and informing the freeholder that the only reference to fee for notices is £8, he begrudgingly agreed that we could pay £8 - but then he asked us to pay for all the previous years that we hadn't with the previous freeholder. Stating that he was allowed to do so. Given that I wanted to have a positive relationship with the freeholder I paid for all the previous years without challenging this.

Now fast forward to today, I am in the process of trying to get a remortgage on the property and the freeholder has sent the following to my solicitor after they asked him to complete a leaseholder questionnaire:

"Our requirements are £250 for the form and £250 nor the remortgage notice.

Can you please pay a total of £500 to our account below"

My question is, what is this fee?

Is it reasonable?

I have tried asking him to confirm if this fee is some sort of administrative cost or service cost and his reply was very helpful:

"I suppose you can call it what you like. There is also a notice fee payable for the mortgage of £150 plus to supply a copy of the land registration post completion."

Please see below the section about notice fees from my lease, which to my understanding states that I only need to pay £8 for any such notices. I assume the mortgage notice falls under this section too?

“(19) Within Twenty one days next after any absolute transfer assignment mortgage charge underlease or devolution of interest under the present Lease of the demised premises or any part thereof to give notice in writing of such transfer assignment mortgage charge underlease or devolution of interest under this present Lease of the demised premises or any part thereof to give notice in writing of such transfer assignment mortgage charge underlease or devolution and of the name quality and place or places of abode of the transferee or the transferees or assignee or assignees of other person or persons in whom the said interest is thereby vested or charged to the Lessor or its solicitors to pay them a fee of Eight pounds (£8) for the registration of such notice“

Can someone please advise me on what I should do?

I am at the risk of incurring interest everyday until this matter is resolved.

I have also asked him for a list of all his fees, to which he has simply ignored.

Happy to provide any further information if required.

Apologies if this topic has already been answered, happy to read if someone could just share a link to the original post.

Many thanks

Citizen_L

The fee should be the same as the rental agreement fee. As stated in the lease

They are just trying it on

Comment

Are you remortgaging with the new lender?

Comment

You may be advised to pay under protest and have the charges reviewed by the FTT

Comment

Sussex818,

Thank you, that is exactly what I was thinking. Do you know if the Freeholder has to list out all their fees? Is there a resource I can refer to compare what is a reasonable cost for his services?

Comment

Anna1985,

Yes I am remortgaging with a new lender

Comment

Originally posted by sgclacy View Post
              You may be advised to pay under protest and have the charges reviewed by the FTT
              Good idea, thank you.

Comment

I would go back to the freeholder and inform him that unless he reduces the charges to a reasonable level, you will apply to the FTT and you will claim your costs and refer to the correspondence when doing so, That should be sufficient but otherwise, you will need to pay under protest in order to remortgage and then make a claim to the FTT as stated in #4. It looks like you will have endless problems with this freeholder and it may be worthwhile contacting the other leaseholders to collectively purchase the freehold interest or takeover the management responsibilities of the freeholder.

Comment

Originally posted by citizen_l View Post

Good idea, thank you.
                  No. Bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post

No. Bad idea.
                    Any particular reason why?

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
                      I would go back to the freeholder and inform him that unless he reduces the charges to a reasonable level, you will apply to the FTT and you will claim your costs and refer to the correspondence when doing so, That should be sufficient but otherwise, you will need to pay under protest in order to remortgage and then make a claim to the FTT as stated in #4. It looks like you will have endless problems with this freeholder and it may be worthwhile contacting the other leaseholders to collectively purchase the freehold interest or takeover the management responsibilities of the freeholder.
                      Is this in reference to the leasehold questionnaire? What do people usually pay for such services?

I agree I probably will have issues with this freeholder but I will try my best to be amicable. The other leaseholder isn't interested in buying the freehold or taking on more responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by citizen_l View Post
                        Any particular reason why?
                        Risky - see here: The Risks in Making 'Payments under Protest' (irwinmitchell.com)

Apart from that, the practicalities are that if you part with money you lose control over it and if you want it back you are the one who has to take action.

The registration fee is fixed by the lease so there can be no argument over that.

Comment

Thanks for elaborating, to get things rolling I'll just pay the leasehold questionnaire fee. I have a call with the Leasehold advisory service coming up, so I am hoping they will be able to answer all of my other questions so I can get a better gauge of what's reasonable.

Comment

Let us know what the Leasehold Advisory Service says.

Comment

Quick update: I have now paid the fee for the leasehold questionnaire but our solicitors have decided that the registration notice is also a part of our completion requirements. The freeholder has told them that it is £250 and our solicitor who is probably overworked has decided that they will pay it upfront on our behalf. This has really frustrated me because our lease states that we have 21 days after completion to pay and that the fee is £8. I will never use a discounted law firm again! The call with the Leasehold advisory service couldn't come any quicker.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Resigning as RTM Director
                                by MrT2014
                                Thanks for all your replies & input. On the one hand I don't want to resign and cut off my nose to spite my face. But 7+ plus years of trying the carrot/stick approach with the other leasholders hasn't worked. They can't grasp (or choose to ignore) that it will cost many times more to ignore issues...
                                24-06-2021, 00:24 AM
                              • Resigning as RTM Director
                                by MrT2014
                                Hi,

After several years as a Director handling the admin for our small RTM I've had enough chasing the other two flat owners/directors who contribute very little and endlessly footdrag when stuff needs to be done. 90% of my time is spent sending reminder emails and I'm pretty much done...
                                20-06-2021, 13:28 PM
                              • Reply to Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
                                by Lawcruncher
                                £65 is way over the top for registration so anything exceeding it is unreasonable.

Almost by definition a tenancy cannot be said to be informal. A licence is not covered by the clause.

What is the offending structure? When was it built? Please quote the alterations clause.
                                23-06-2021, 23:25 PM
                              • Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
                                by Hooper
                                I have engaged solicitors on this but they have been somewhat lackluster so I am seeking opinion.

Leaseholders have built on property not demised to them (I am the freeholder). I am currently requiring them to take down the offending structure to avoid action for breach of covenant and...
                                23-06-2021, 18:02 PM
                              • Reply to How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
                                by ram
                                Sounds lke you only have 2 Directors, is this correct.

If the block ( 5 flats ) is contracting out the management of the block, And you will be contracting out to a managing Agent , not a company then there must ba a management company with all 5 leaseholdrs having shares in that company,
                                23-06-2021, 22:03 PM
                              • How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
                                by riva
                                I live in a share of freehold (block of 5 flats) and we are currently paying around 6k per flat for management/bills per annum. No concierge but there's a lift. It's an external management company that we outsource to. Thing is, I feel that they were coming up with rather expensive quotes and so I've...
                                17-06-2021, 09:09 AM
                              • Reply to Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
                                by ram
                                You are the freeholder, the leaseholder of the flat HAS to abide by the lease.

Assuming the flat is sub-let ( let, and rent being paid )
                                Either the sub-tenants are paying rent to an agent or the landlord of the flat. If to the agents, the agent has the flat owners address.
                                23-06-2021, 21:47 PM
                              • Reply to Management Company issues and Service Charge
                                by MrSoffit
                                That's leasehold. Yes there is an 18 month rule but I'll bet a jam sandwich the agent has a file of letters sent to you contempor (?) at the time. All date stamped and ready for court. If you can pay - pay. Pay under protest in bold type if necessary, but pay. Complain later. It will work out cheap...
                                23-06-2021, 21:46 PM
                              • Management Company issues and Service Charge
                                by Bokun
                                A bit of a complicated situation.

I co own a property. I live at the property and the other owner lives at another address. I just got a bill for unpaid service charges that have built up over 6 years as the service charge went up but the standing order that was set up stayed the same....
                                23-06-2021, 21:17 PM
                              • Reply to Resigning as RTM Director
                                by ram
                                Selling my leasehold property ? you ask, because I told MrT2014 to sell up.
                                But I take no prisoners, don't care what I say if it's the truth ( of course in legal proceedures, one has to be delicate with ones words )

I find a lot of people, when advised what to do, are too scared to...
                                23-06-2021, 10:27 AM
                              Working...
                              X