Renting to students

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Renting to students


    I have been letting for a quite a while and i find myself in a bit of a difficult situation, i would love some guidance on this.

    Everyone knows students are looking around now for a summer rental that will last 1 academic year.

    The students are keen to take the place but only want to take the place in JUNE.

    I have taken the one week holding deposit.

    I am struggling to figure out when to collect the rest of the deposit, do you take the deposit once the tenancy agreements are signed which would be say in April (after the reference checks are done etc). Or do you have to take the full tenancy deposit when the tenants first move into the property? Or am i not allowed to do either. Some guidance would really help!

    The difficulty is, that if you do not take the full tenancy deposit once the TA's are signed then they can definitely cancel the contract, putting us in a difficult scenario (yes they will lose 1 week holding, but they won't lose 3 months worth of rent - like we would).


    Have a quick read of....

    I think taking rent & deposit any earlier than a week or so before the start of tenancy is dangerous, particularly as deposit has to be protected within 30 days of being paid.

    Appreciate many agents think otherwise
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Like HMO properties, student lets (which may be an HMO) are not the easiest to manage.

      The fact that you are asking such a basic question suggests you aren't properly experienced nor trained to handle this.

      Don't forget, your average student is going to be well equipped and have endless peer support to runs rings around you if you aren't 100% organised.

      Personally, I cannot see the benefit in purposely leaving a property empty for a month just to attract tenants who are likely to move in and out at their whim.

      My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol


        The property has a HMO license already. I have always let the property with individual people and run it correctly as a HMO.

        As it is a now a student property with 5 individuals and all regulations for the HMO have been met, I prefer to now give them 1AST as opposed to 5 individual tenancies when they are all friends and are happy to take the house as a group of friends. (The contracts etc stipulates no more than 5 people are allowed to reside in this property).

        Thank you artful dodger for your response.

        We have only taken 1 week (holding deposit) for now which is correct. If i'm not mistaken there isn't much guidance on when to take a full deposit, even after looking deep into the textbooks which i've got.

        (even if the tenants move in & out at their whim, i personally don't think they will). I'm not sure when to take the full deposit, protection of the deposit is not the issue.

        I'm not too sure but my logic is that once the tenancy contract has been signed it is now legally binding and therefore its correct to take the full deposit and protect it giving the tenants their particulars and all legal documents.


          Lodger not Dodger. I don't dodge.

          Once signed an AST is a binding CONTRACT but is not a TENANCY until occupation started.

          Deposit is not even required. Becoming quite common with some landlords.
          I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


            I assume that you are talking about the students taking the whole property? If not, and it will be mixed with some students and some non-students, you are likely to have issues around Council Tax in that students are exempt and won't want to pay a rent that is inclusive of a share of CT.

            I would suggest you join the NRLA as they have various checklists that will help you get the order and timing right.


            Latest Activity


            • Why would managing agent use S20 dispensation?
              by Flashback1966
              Have a flat in a block. The communal area is in very poor condition. Lighting not working for 15 years. Carpets worn out and threadbare. You can see the floorboard in places. Electrical cupboard door falling off.... Some residents leaving furniture in hallway.

              The managing agents applied...
              20-01-2022, 20:50 PM
            • Reply to Why would managing agent use S20 dispensation?
              by eagle2
              The reason should have been explained to you when the application was made and you should have had the opportunity to challenge the application. The Tribunal would have considered if there was any prejudice to the leaseholders and should have made any appropriate comments within its decision.
              21-01-2022, 06:21 AM
            • Reply to Are stopcocks responsibility of Lessee or Lessor
              by nukecad
              You have a point, most of the cost for a small job like that is the plumbers call out charge, so it makes sense to only have the one call out.

              If it's just seized up then there are things you can try, it may sound odd but one of them is tightening the top nut and then slackening it again....
              21-01-2022, 05:59 AM
            • Are stopcocks responsibility of Lessee or Lessor
              by NaomiB
              Our flats were built in 1962. Some of the stopcocks are now seized up. Originally, the water came into the building and there was a stopcock for each flat in the cupboard in the communal area. It may confuse things a bit now because we have water meters for each flat outside. However, I wanted to...
              17-01-2022, 08:44 AM
            • Reply to Are stopcocks responsibility of Lessee or Lessor
              by NaomiB
              It does make a difference if I have to pay, say, £130 for just my one whereas all nine could be done for not a lot more. I've passed it over to the residents' association to decide whether they want to go ahead or not. I'll spray mine with WD40 tomorrow!...
              20-01-2022, 23:27 PM
            • Reply to Are stopcocks responsibility of Lessee or Lessor
              by Flashback1966
              Whether it is paid out of service charge or by individual flat owner, it still comes out the same pocket!.

              However, given that you plan to sell you flat, the last thing you want is an uncontrolled water leak damaging your flat.

              it is better to get a job done at once. ...
              20-01-2022, 21:05 PM
            • Reply to Isn't there any obligation to be insured?
              by Flashback1966
              If there is a leak from the flat above, then you need to claim on your insurance. I know it sounds unfair, but that is how it works. The upper flat is responsible for fixing the leak. Ideally the entire building should be under one insurance policy, but sometimes, people insure separately....
              20-01-2022, 20:33 PM
            • Isn't there any obligation to be insured?
              by Sarah17
              Hi All,
              I recently bought a flat and learned since that the flat above is a regulated tenancy. The current tenant has moved in 1972. The flat is in a very shabby state, and I am worried about it (safety concerns, fire risk...etc). I wrote to the landlord and didn't receive any answer yet. A few...
              16-01-2022, 17:57 PM
            • Reply to Managing agents
              by London Flat Dweller
              Thank you for your comment. The situation is a bit more complicated than it would first appear as one of the leaseholders is in breach of his lease and has done thousands of pounds worth of damage and is refusing to rectify the situation. The other freeholders and I are trying to find a way of putting...
              20-01-2022, 19:49 PM
            • Managing agents
              by London Flat Dweller
              I am a freeholder/lessee and I am in discussions about buying into our managing agents company and becoming an equal share director. Would I have to declare my position to the other freeholders/lessees even though I will not be managing the property itself?

              many thanks...
              18-01-2022, 13:47 PM