X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ram
    replied
    Additional.General info--
    if you have to access the loft, victorian houses do not have joists ( that hold up the top flats ceilings ) that are strong enough to support a mans weight, by that i mean, they will bend, and probably crack the plaster ceiling of the top flats, so floor boards must be spread across those josts to walk on, and sometimes the ceilings still crack.

Need a LONG electrical extention lead from top flat to reach the whole area of loft

Also, the loft will be dirty and dusty, and have nasty things up there so be prepared to have to clean the top flat after job done.

Leave a comment:

• sgclacy
    replied
    Originally posted by thenunn View Post
    Secondly do the contractors/workers we take on have to have public liabilty/ risk assessment etc
    Absolutely essential they do

Leave a comment:

• thenunn
    replied
    Originally posted by Anna1985 View Post
    If you require scaffolding it would add to the costs.

I would try to do the works before autumn and section 20z takes 3 months anyways.

Do you have reserve fund? Would be a good idea to dip into it.
    Hi Anna, yes we do have a reserve fund , sadly it's nowhere near enough , but we will of course be using it to offset costs and yes it will be a section 20, . ,sadly scaffolding is needed , what a shock how expensive that is ! Thank you for taking the time to reply

Leave a comment:

• thenunn
    replied
    Thank you Ram , that is exactly what I understand the situation to be . I was asking as a director but from leaseholders question. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer so fully .

Leave a comment:

• Anna1985
    replied
    If you require scaffolding it would add to the costs.

I would try to do the works before autumn and section 20z takes 3 months anyways.

Do you have reserve fund? Would be a good idea to dip into it.

Leave a comment:

• ram
    replied
    To be honest, it is up to the freeholder to maintain the property in good and substantial order and keep well maintained ( check yoir leases - all of it - begining to end as those conditions can be anythere in th lease and more than once ).

Once repairs that need doing are identified, then those repairs must be done in a reasoable time ( months - not years ).
    The leaseholders signed documents to observe the lease to pay on demand reasonablr requests to pay for work to be done as requred.

Please excuse me, but you are asking as a leaseholder, not as a diretor. A director must ensure the place is well maintaained. Your other leaseholders cannot circumvent the lease requirements by sayng they have no money.
    i wanted a newish car but dit not have the money, so i took out a 3 year loan. Simple.

it;s up to the powers that be to investigate the problems and decide which one should be done first, but leaks can rot beams and jointsi f no repaired immediately, and if you have pest infestations, you have a health and safety problem, an if it's pigions in the roof, they cayy bubs in there and they go down into every flat over time.
    Seen that, been there, had to have every flat sprayed with deadly chemicals, and flats vacated for a whole day with windows open.
    Then you have to have the flats sprayed agin after 3 weeks with standard bug killer, but icould not trust leaseholders to do that job, so i insisted the bug man came again.

You have two jobs, get them started ( don't forget your S20 if all the jobes will cost the leaseholders more than £ 250 )

I woul assume the removing pigions ( if that is the cause ) fixing the timber facias where they get in, - maybe wire netting in places, and water leaks, may cost a minimum £ 6000, but between say 6 flats, thats £ 1000 each.
    Our last anual service charge was £ 4000, each - so its not that much for your envisaged work.

Leave a comment:

• thenunn
    started a topic Phasing works pros/cons

Phasing works pros/cons

Hi all. We have high work that need undertaking ,I'm looking for advice 're the phasing of such works, weighing up the added cost of doing so in terms of money and possible interim further depreciation..what would others phase of not ? And if phase ,over what time period. None of the work's are a health and safety of fire risk , we have however some water ingress and have had pest infestations in the last 18 months. No works on these areas have been done since blocks were built 30 years ago ,apart from some gutter repairs/unblocking and painting of wood . Works are to sealents , joins and verges on roof , all rainwater goods ,fascias, pointing .
    would you phase of not ?

Secondly do the contractors/workers we take on have to have public liabilty/ risk assessment etc

I know I've asked a few questions relating to this , just trying to find the best way forward for the building and leaseholders, thanks in advance

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Worth buying flat with 15 years remaining?
    by carcarrot94
    Saw a flat in London for around 460k with 15 years remaining on lease.
    Central London, prime area.

Would this property be unsavable in terms of lease extensions? How come people are wary to buy these?

What would it cost?...
    20-06-2021, 21:58 PM
  • Reply to Worth buying flat with 15 years remaining?
    by ram
    With 15 years lease remaining, the property is almost valued at nil.

And no lender will give you a mortgage because the terms of a lease state that when the leased term ends, you give the property back to the freeholder, and you get no money for it.
    A lease is a long term rental in
    20-06-2021, 22:40 PM
  • Reply to Title deeds don't match floor plan
    by carcarrot94
    No it's in a purpose build flat building. One flat has extended out to the top floor staircase area where there was a window....
    20-06-2021, 21:59 PM
  • Title deeds don't match floor plan
    by carcarrot94
    Hi everyone!

I am a first-time buyer and saw a flat that I was interested in. It has a 999 year old lease. It is on sale through probate as the previous owner died.

The problem with it is that there seems to be an extra bedroom added by the leaseholder and that is not reflected...
    07-06-2021, 18:22 PM
  • Reply to Title deeds don't match floor plan
    by carcarrot94
    I think around 15 years ago?...
    20-06-2021, 21:59 PM
  • Reply to Resigning as RTM Director
    by ram

It certainly IS,

But once no longer a Director or Company Sec, you can shout at them as much as you like.
    They can't sack you, can't force you out, can't make you pay more service charges just because you upset them.
    They won't talk to you or say good morning to you when
    20-06-2021, 21:56 PM
  • Resigning as RTM Director
    by MrT2014
    Hi,

After several years as a Director handling the admin for our small RTM I've had enough chasing the other two flat owners/directors who contribute very little and endlessly footdrag when stuff needs to be done. 90% of my time is spent sending reminder emails and I'm pretty much done...
    20-06-2021, 13:28 PM
    by MrSoffit
    Hi,

Of course you can just resign. Write a letter to the registered office saying " I resign as a director of X Limited with immediate effect". No need to get bitter and rowdy. Hand back the keys to the company Rolls Royce and any company documents (insurance documents etc) to...
    20-06-2021, 20:54 PM
    by ram
    Downsides.
    You wont force their hand to do anything.
    They will just do nothing, no maintenence, no legal requirements implemented.( Saves them money )

Possibility of the company being struck off because the others wont submit accounts to Companies house, ( saves the acountants
    20-06-2021, 20:51 PM
  • Help understanding wording of lease for alterations covenant
    by NotTheLastLeaseholder
    I'm a leaseholder who has been researching all things lease related as to get a better understanding of the terms. I think I'm starting to get there but I am struggling with the phrasing in the covenant concerning alterations.

Here is my understanding thus far:

THE DEMISE...
    20-06-2021, 19:50 PM
Working...
X