Leaving items in the shared communal areas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving items in the shared communal areas...

I have a bit of an issue with my neighbours leaving (constantly) the hallways in the shared areas for basically an extension of storage of their flat. During lockdown it became worse, and i felt as if it wasn't really appropriate, but now I just think its becoming really inconsiderate. One day i actually couldn't get out of the entrance and had to move the stuff out of the way after they didn't answer the door.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to approach this without causing any friction? They actually are genuinely nice people, but i think because i've not mentioned it really before, they probably think its okay, but to be honest, I find it really rude! thanks in advance.

I had a neighbour who did this. His items found their way into my car boot in the small hours, and thence to the tip.

Comment

You are not usually allowed to store ANYTHING on property that does not belong to you or you are not renting, and that includes hall, stairways and stair landings.
      The Manager of the buildng ( not the letting agents ) should be contacted and told the leaseholders / renters are breach the lease.
      Also, the leaseholders / company can be fined for allowing obsructed passages in the event of a fire, at night, and no lights.

Whoever is responsible for the management of the building - and that will include fire and safety - will be in breach of fire regulatons with obstructed hallways

Get writing.

Comment

Agree with the above if they're being awkward but they might not have realised you don't like it so definitely a polite word first. Point out the fire hazard if you have to evacuate in a hurry in the dark.

Comment

As above, the manager of the building, and/or management company, they would need a seriously low IQ, to not understand the dangers of storing crap outside the flat.
          Last edited by Hudson01; 19-04-2021, 16:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Whoever manages the property should notify the T's of the fire regulations and that the entrance is a fire escape, and tell them that any items left would be removed without notice. I have had the same issue with a T, after repeatedly telling them, I had to take action by throwing their items outside (pram/ bike) even though there is a communal garden. The issue has reduced but not completely, but eventually once their items have been taken by the public they will stop doing it.

Comment

Beware of putting offending items outside, because even though you remove items causing a hazard / potential hazard, you could be sighted for theft - Your actions were you removed the items and you cannot give them back if the public take them.

You are supposed to inform the sub-tenants / leasholders, that on a certain date, if the obstructions are not removed, you will remove them, put them in storage, and charge them £ x per week or part of a week.
              If the items are not collected ( at days and times to suit you ), you will after 3 months, dispose of them, but storage fees will still be payable.
              But of course, you have to be the letting agent / Property company / block managing agent to state above.

Remind them that house rules are not being obeyed, the owners lease is not being obeyed, the fire and safety regulations are not being observed, and hazards must be removed.

If you don't tell them the conditions of living there - you can't just throw out their propery, we know you did, but courts seem to be on the side of sub-tenants, you know, those people who are shafted by every landlord in the country.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X