Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can leaseholders request management agreement

Hi all,

Our managing agent quickly resigned after we paid for the first quarterly bill. We cover all expenses and the bill allowed for year end services, such as making up the service charge accounts at the year end. I’d like to see the management agreement between the managing agent and our leaseholder to see if there are any other services we paid for prematurely and to see what the procedure is on resignation.

Do leaseholders (with a two party lease) have the right to view the agreement?
    Will we have to wait for up to a full year + 6 months to pass before legally obtaining this?
    And would the demand need to be made through the Landlord, the old managing agent or the new managing agent, if we get one?

Is there also a way for us to legally request the reason for resignation. It seems there’s been no written notice, so I’d like to know if there was a breach on either end.

The RICS code 3.2 states that the agent should supply leaseholders with a "basic summary of (the agent's) terms and duties, including all fees" which is not quite the same as a copy of the full agreement. Nonetheless I suggest that you ask the agent to supply a copy of the agreement and their reasons for resignation but they may decline claiming confidentiality.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

The managing agents responded that they would not provide any information due to GDPR restrictions. I asked for clarification as to why section 3.2 of the RICS service charge residential management code did not apply and they responded that as the contract has been terminated all correspondence should be with the freeholder and not them.

Is the RICS code only enforceable during the period the managing agent is actively operating under the contract? (Including if the contract is suddenly terminated with no notice?)

Comment

I cannot see that it has anything to do with GDPR and as the agent should comply with the RICS code, it should let you have at least a summary of the terms and duties for which you are being charged. You can make a formal complaint against the agent or apply to the freeholder.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Reserve fund
            by eagle2
            It is important as well to check if the lease requires the reserve/sinking fund to be held in a separate bank client account. If there is only a general bank client account, it is often raided for other purposes....
            16-05-2021, 04:58 AM
          • Reserve fund
            by Starlane
            Hello
            Our lease requires us to pay into a reserve fund, is this fund subject to S20 consultation? Or would the monies be used as stated in the lease for regular cyclical decoration which would come under repair and maintenance? Meaning as its cyclical no S20 required even though the amounts from...
            12-05-2021, 07:16 AM
          • Informal lease extension advice - linked with RPI
            by NiallOisin
            Hi, I hope all is well. I've read some fantastic and very helpful advice on this forum and hoped someone may be able to help me with the particularities of my situation.

I am currently helping my mother extend her lease. As she is eager to sell the property in the near future, we do not...
            15-05-2021, 23:55 PM
          • Reply to Advice for CCJ dispute over ground rent payments
            by Macromia
            It's possible that the OP doesn't know the outcome of the hearing yet....
            15-05-2021, 21:02 PM
          • Advice for CCJ dispute over ground rent payments
            by Charlotte163
            Advance warning: this is going to be a lengthy post – but I really would appreciate advice from anyone who might be able to help ..

For background: in 2017, I (along with 3 friends), purchased a leasehold property with the intention of renovating it and selling it on (the “investment...
            02-05-2021, 11:55 AM
          • Reply to Reserve fund
            by Macromia
            It will depend on the what the lease says about a reserve fund, and whether or not it restricts the way that the fund is allowed to be used....
            15-05-2021, 20:54 PM
          • RICS code
            by Starlane
            Hello
            we are only a small site and for a small site which is supposed to be a dormant RMC the SC seems ridiculously high with most of the money being demanded for company Secretary , company accounts and high management fees and insurance.There are no services. The directors have now said that...
            05-05-2021, 17:05 PM
          • Reply to RICS code
            by Macromia
            Which is why Article 2 needs to be read as well.

Article 2 gives approval to the third edition of the code.
            Article 3 withdraws approval of the earlier version so that there can be no argument which applies.

Eventually the 4th edition will likely become the approved version...
            15-05-2021, 20:50 PM
          • Reply to RICS code
            by fos333
            As Macromia stated in #65 the 3rd Edition of 'The Code' is currently approved.

See;

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../made/data.xht...
            15-05-2021, 19:26 PM
          • Unreasonable Withholding of Consent by Freeholder?
            by wabdiddly
            Dear All,

Looking for an opinion and some legal views behind what I can do in the following situation.

My top floor flat has rather wonky flooring, which the structural engineer's report described as "in poor condition and needs levelling to provide satisfactory living...
            13-05-2021, 18:29 PM
          Working...
          X