Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eagle2
    replied
    It is normal practice for an offer to be made subject to contract and then all the paperwork is sent to your solicitor. As you state, you can consider documents at the HMLR if you wish. The basic information such as term of the lease, current ground rent and service charges should be contained within the estate agent's particulars. You are also entitled to know whether or not you are entitled to let the property before making an offer.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    Just tell the estate agent , you cannot make any valuation on the property without the information.

Leave a comment:

• jp13abk
    started a topic Viewing Lease before buying

Viewing Lease before buying

Good afternoon,

Firstly, thank you for all the information that has been shared on this website. It has been of great help.

I'm looking at several flats for my first property purchase and I have asked the estate agencies to please send me the lease.

I'd like to read through them, as there are several key aspects that I need to understand before going ahead with a purchase, such as:
    • How many years has the leasehold got before expiry? (I know this can be found on the Title Register in landregistry.gov.uk)
    • What is the stipulated ground rent?
    • Is the ground rent set to increase every certain amount of time? If so, how much by?
    • Can the property be rented out by the lessee?
    • What is the agreement for repairs and maintenance of any common installations?
    • Any additional covenants?
    However, I'm finding that most estate agencies are unwilling to share the lease. They claim that it will be sent to the solicitor once an offer has been placed and accepted.

Is this the norm? Will I have to place an offer based on what I know and then pay a solicitor to go through the nitty gritty of the lease?

I'm worried that once the lease has been shared and reviewed by both the solicitor and me, if there's something that I dislike, I would have to pay the solicitor for their service and end up back at square one. Hence why I want to do the initial checks on the lease myself.

Can someone share their experience?

Many thanks,

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Communal area
    by Starlane
    Hi and thank you in advance for your help and guidance ....a letter has been sent as a last resort from my solicitor to the freeholder and the directors. Basically they lack the knowledge and experience to basically understand the lease let alone anything else like RICS code and L& T acts etc.......and...
    16-07-2021, 23:09 PM
  • Reply to Communal area
    by Starlane
    Yes I get that Andrew thank you it could be a situation jumping from one dodgy ship to another dodgy ship, I have weighed this up pros and cons and yes bills could increase I can see that especially when no repair and maintenance of the building has been done for years and the place needs a number of...
    25-07-2021, 14:38 PM
  • Advice on flat sale
    by Ionela Preda
    Guys, hi!

I represent a RTM Company, I am the Director of it, 11 flats in our block.
    He have some people willing to sell their flat, and I am really “flat” on the legal aspect;

I need to give them: the Deed of Covenant, the Assignment Pack, I need to lift and re-apply...
    24-07-2021, 15:54 PM
  • Reply to Advice on flat sale
    by MrSoffit
    Hi. As a director of an RTMC with a managing agent in toe we can leave the sales pack work to our managing agent, but there is one point that doesn't make sense to me here. Unless the lease requires the seller to get prior consent to assign -- as apart from the more standard requirement for the buyer...
    25-07-2021, 14:31 PM
  • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
    by witsend55
    Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
    24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
  • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
    by ram
    The Directors must inform the Managing agents that "they must adhere to the lease, and that the management company has not voted with a majority in favour of allowing the lease to be changed, therefore please continue to enforce the lease" as the directors so stipulate....
    25-07-2021, 13:46 PM
  • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
    by witsend55
    Thank you everyone. The thoughts here are in accordance with my own gut feeling, that our flat management co. should leave things as they are. I have been very worried where it all might lead to if we got psychologically bulldozed by the seller into agreeing to such a major change in the residency structure....
    25-07-2021, 13:29 PM
  • Garden Furniture
    by Sandy1986
    We have been told (yes I know lol) by the management company that we can't have benches in the communal gardens due to health and safety. Sounds like a load of hogwash to me. Has anybody had problems with this?
    21-07-2021, 20:20 PM
  • Reply to Garden Furniture
    by Macromia
    That could be completely valid - although it does depend on circumstances (including the answers to some of the questions that others have already asked).

The management company, on the freeholder's behalf if there is a separate freeholder, has a responsibility for the health and safety...
    25-07-2021, 13:04 PM
  • Who can become a director of a RMC?
    by David Mc
    Hi, Could anyone advise who can actually become a director of a RMC. We are a block of 30 flats, each flat has one share in the RMC. We employ a managing agent. The RMC holds the freehold to the property. The MA is the company secretary.

There are currently 2 directors, although...
    23-07-2021, 09:58 AM
Working...
X