Viewing Lease before buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i recently had this on a flat , i wanted to know what the lease said prior to making an offer . i just contacted land registry and paid the fee and they sent a copy to me . very efficient and worth paying

Comment

I always ask for a copy of the lease, often get the same response as you but simply say I won't make an offer without it. Chances are the estate agent won't have been given it but they can ask for it. Alternatively you can get it from Land Registry for £7.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah B View Post
        I always ask for a copy of the lease, often get the same response as you but simply say I won't make an offer without it. you can get it from Land Registry for £7.
        And reduce the payment for the flat by £ 7. as you are BUYING the lease that enables persons the legal right to live there ( no lease - then you cant live there ) and sellers / agents REFUSED to supply a copy of the lease that you were buying so you could see if the stipulations / rules/ restrictions were acceptable, so charge them for it.

They have to learn, these sellers and agents. The hard way. Just transfer money less £ 7 and tell seller the agents / solicitors refused to give you a copy of that which you were buying.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Resigning as RTM Director
          by MrT2014
          Hi,

After several years as a Director handling the admin for our small RTM I've had enough chasing the other two flat owners/directors who contribute very little and endlessly footdrag when stuff needs to be done. 90% of my time is spent sending reminder emails and I'm pretty much done...
          20-06-2021, 13:28 PM
        • Reply to Resigning as RTM Director
          by MrT2014
          Thanks for all your replies & input. On the one hand I don't want to resign and cut off my nose to spite my face. But 7+ plus years of trying the carrot/stick approach with the other leasholders hasn't worked. They can't grasp (or choose to ignore) that it will cost many times more to ignore issues...
          24-06-2021, 00:24 AM
        • Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
          by Hooper
          I have engaged solicitors on this but they have been somewhat lackluster so I am seeking opinion.

Leaseholders have built on property not demised to them (I am the freeholder). I am currently requiring them to take down the offending structure to avoid action for breach of covenant and...
          23-06-2021, 18:02 PM
        • Reply to Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
          by Lawcruncher
          £65 is way over the top for registration so anything exceeding it is unreasonable.

Almost by definition a tenancy cannot be said to be informal. A licence is not covered by the clause.

What is the offending structure? When was it built? Please quote the alterations clause.
          23-06-2021, 23:25 PM
        • How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
          by riva
          I live in a share of freehold (block of 5 flats) and we are currently paying around 6k per flat for management/bills per annum. No concierge but there's a lift. It's an external management company that we outsource to. Thing is, I feel that they were coming up with rather expensive quotes and so I've...
          17-06-2021, 09:09 AM
        • Reply to How easy/difficult is it to set up a freehold management service?
          by ram
          Sounds lke you only have 2 Directors, is this correct.

If the block ( 5 flats ) is contracting out the management of the block, And you will be contracting out to a managing Agent , not a company then there must ba a management company with all 5 leaseholdrs having shares in that company,
          23-06-2021, 22:03 PM
        • Reply to Underletting clause and "informal arrangements"
          by ram
          You are the freeholder, the leaseholder of the flat HAS to abide by the lease.

Assuming the flat is sub-let ( let, and rent being paid )
          Either the sub-tenants are paying rent to an agent or the landlord of the flat. If to the agents, the agent has the flat owners address.
          23-06-2021, 21:47 PM
        • Management Company issues and Service Charge
          by Bokun
          A bit of a complicated situation.

I co own a property. I live at the property and the other owner lives at another address. I just got a bill for unpaid service charges that have built up over 6 years as the service charge went up but the standing order that was set up stayed the same....
          23-06-2021, 21:17 PM
        • Reply to Management Company issues and Service Charge
          by MrSoffit
          That's leasehold. Yes there is an 18 month rule but I'll bet a jam sandwich the agent has a file of letters sent to you contempor (?) at the time. All date stamped and ready for court. If you can pay - pay. Pay under protest in bold type if necessary, but pay. Complain later. It will work out cheap...
          23-06-2021, 21:46 PM
        • Reply to Resigning as RTM Director
          by ram
          Selling my leasehold property ? you ask, because I told MrT2014 to sell up.
          But I take no prisoners, don't care what I say if it's the truth ( of course in legal proceedures, one has to be delicate with ones words )

I find a lot of people, when advised what to do, are too scared to...
          23-06-2021, 10:27 AM
        Working...
        X