Viewing Lease before buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i recently had this on a flat , i wanted to know what the lease said prior to making an offer . i just contacted land registry and paid the fee and they sent a copy to me . very efficient and worth paying

Comment

I always ask for a copy of the lease, often get the same response as you but simply say I won't make an offer without it. Chances are the estate agent won't have been given it but they can ask for it. Alternatively you can get it from Land Registry for £7.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah B View Post
        I always ask for a copy of the lease, often get the same response as you but simply say I won't make an offer without it. you can get it from Land Registry for £7.
        And reduce the payment for the flat by £ 7. as you are BUYING the lease that enables persons the legal right to live there ( no lease - then you cant live there ) and sellers / agents REFUSED to supply a copy of the lease that you were buying so you could see if the stipulations / rules/ restrictions were acceptable, so charge them for it.

They have to learn, these sellers and agents. The hard way. Just transfer money less £ 7 and tell seller the agents / solicitors refused to give you a copy of that which you were buying.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Breach of leasehold terms with floor that's causing noise; who to enforce?
          by SharedOwnrshpLeaseholdr
          My upstair's neighbour's lease requires him to provide "carpets, or such other suitable floor coverings", and it also has a "nuisance" clause. He has had his flat tiled. I am now being driven nuts by noise from above. Every movement results in impact noise transmission, and I'm going...
          13-05-2021, 21:58 PM
        • Unreasonable Withholding of Consent by Freeholder?
          by wabdiddly
          Dear All,

Looking for an opinion and some legal views behind what I can do in the following situation.

My top floor flat has rather wonky flooring, which the structural engineer's report described as "in poor condition and needs levelling to provide satisfactory living...
          13-05-2021, 18:29 PM
        • Reply to Unreasonable Withholding of Consent by Freeholder?
          by Lawcruncher
          You do not need permission to carry out repairs if you have an obligation to do them.

If the lease only prohibits structural alterations you can carry out non-structural alterations. Taking down or putting up non-structural walls is not structural. What exactly does your lease say about...
          13-05-2021, 21:25 PM
        • Tenants refusing to vacate
          by Landlord2021
          Our tenants have been issued with a section 21 back in December. Having had six months notice they are now refusing to vacate the property as their new build house is not ready. We have sold the property subject to contract. Our buyers want to take advantage of the stamp duty holiday. What if anything...
          13-05-2021, 17:10 PM
        • Reply to Tenants refusing to vacate
          by theartfullodger
          An s21 notice does not end a tenancy nor compel a tenant to leave. The tenant is simply exercising their right, unde s5 of Housing Act 1988 ( Thatcher's ) to remain until court, court order, bailiffs/HCEO. The self-same Act ( Thatcher's ) that permits us landlords to serve s21s.

Their agreement...
          13-05-2021, 19:19 PM
          by Jon66
          Write to them pointing out you are now able to proceed to court and that you intend to do so. That this will incur costs and legal fees, that court judgements of any sort would not reflect well on their mortgage application, that once a possession order has been granted you will incur additional bailiff...
          13-05-2021, 18:55 PM
        • Lack of lighting in communal areas
          by fos333
          Hi all,

Who is responsible if the lack of lighting in the communal area results in injury to the occupiers of the flats?

The lights for the two main blocks are controlled by two photocells that can be adjusted, but at 2100 hrs tonight the internal communal lights had still...
          12-05-2021, 20:26 PM
        • Reply to Lack of lighting in communal areas
          by fos333
          Thanks for the replies.

The managing agent instructs the adjustment of the photocells, however, the current directors are ignorant to the issue now as it can't be impacting on them.

Further to the communal lighting not coming on early enough is the fact that the managing agent...
          13-05-2021, 18:44 PM
        • Evidence of leasehold interest?
          by Bengt Lagander
          I have just completed on the purchase of a long Leasehold flat.

Separately I am apply for a Court order restoration of the Limited Company that own the freehold which was dissolved on 15 th June 2015 so the application needs to be sent by server to the Court before 15th June 2021. This...
          13-05-2021, 18:19 PM
          by 1600e
          There is nothing you can do other than see if a hefty lump sum will persuade them....
          13-05-2021, 18:10 PM
        Working...
        X