X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sgclacy
    replied
    Originally posted by jp13abk View Post
    opteron thank you for the advice, it’s very helpful. I will search for solicitors that operate on a no-completion-no-fee basis.

eagle2 thanks for your reply.

sgclacy as far as I’m aware, you can download the Title Register of a property for £3, which unfortunately doesn’t contain the lease. Thank you for offering to help.

Lawcruncher that would be the ideal scenario. I personally believe that if buyers became more aware and did their due diligence, estate agents would have no choice but to share all the relevant documentation from day 1.
    The e professional service does enable me to download a lease - I do it many times each month !

Leave a comment:

• jp13abk
    replied
    After pestering the estate agent, asking people that live in the same block of flats and doing a few online searches, I managed to get answers for most of the questions.

I decided to place an offer subject to contract and, despite it hasn’t been accepted yet, the lease got sent shortly after the offer had been placed.

Time to do some detailed reading.

Leave a comment:

• jp13abk
    replied
    opteron thank you for the advice, it’s very helpful. I will search for solicitors that operate on a no-completion-no-fee basis.

eagle2 thanks for your reply.

sgclacy as far as I’m aware, you can download the Title Register of a property for £3, which unfortunately doesn’t contain the lease. Thank you for offering to help.

Lawcruncher that would be the ideal scenario. I personally believe that if buyers became more aware and did their due diligence, estate agents would have no choice but to share all the relevant documentation from day 1.

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
    In the days when we had home information packs a copy of the lease would have had to be available to produce to a potential buyer.
    I think that they included the searches as well didn't they but the Government decided in its wisdom that they were "expensive and unnecessary", they "increased the cost and hassle of selling homes" and they were "stifling the housing market" so it decided to "bring down the cost of selling a home and remove unnecessary legislation"

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    In the days when we had home information packs a copy of the lease would have had to be available to produce to a potential buyer.

Leave a comment:

• sgclacy
    replied
    The lease can be downloaded from the land registry e professional website at a cost of £3 per lease

if you want send me a pm and I will do it for you

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied
    eagle2 I will try that. As far as I know, an offer needs to be accepted in order to proceed to the conveyancing work? Do you know if this is correct?
    Usually, the vendor will need to agree to sell subject to contract before the solicitor releases the various documents. Either party is still able to withdraw from the sale or negotiate a different price prior to contracts being exchanged,

Leave a comment:

• opteron
    replied
    The estate agent should always have the basic information: years remaining on the lease, ground rent, service charge. However it is quite common that they do not have the lease document itself.

Nowadays, many conveyancing solicitors operate on a no-completion-no-fee basis. You can use a solicitor of this kind, just in case you need to pull out. You are free to change your mind before exchanging contracts.

Assuming the terms on the lease are reasonable, you negotiate a price with the seller and get your offer accepted. Then the solicitors begin to do their work.

Don't order any searches as these fees are usually non-refundable, just instruct your solicitor to ask for the lease, review the lease and also forward the lease to you.

If your solicitor or yourself found any terms on the lease unacceptable, you can either ask the seller to arrange a deed of variation with the freeholder, or you just pull out. You will not incur any charges as the solicitor operates on a no-completion-no-fee basis.

When I was looking to buy my first property, I actually pulled out once. It's not because of the terms on the lease, but because a much more attractive property appears on the market while the conveyancing process goes on. Apparently my solicitor wasn't massively impressed, but that's the reality they have to deal with and they are prepared for that.

Leave a comment:

• jp13abk
    replied
    scot22 I couldn’t agree more with you. The more I learn, the more I realise how many people buy in absolute ignorance. The problem is that these people tend to snap the properties off the market before you can do appropriate due diligence.

Gordon999 thanks for the suggestion. I will ring the estate agent and tell them I will make a complaint to the CMA unless they decide to share the lease. Hopefully they’ll change their mind.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    Thank you both for your answers.

Gordon999 I already have, unfortunately this makes no difference. They claim the lease will only be sent to a solicitor.

eagle2 I have learnt this the hard way. On previous occasions, my approach has been to ask the aforementioned questions to the estate agent for them to take away, investigate and provide an answer. Since their response time is far from swift, what happens is that someone else ends up placing an offer and the property is removed from the market.

As you've mentioned, I guess I'll have to make an offer subject to contract and if the conditions aren't right, assume that whatever money has been spent on a solicitor will be lost.
    Make a written complaint to CMA ( Competition and Markets Authority ) about this particular estate agent not willing to disclose the details of the lease to prospective buyers which leads to overvaluation of the property before making an offer.

Leave a comment:

• scot22
    replied
    You are right to be diligent about the lease. Too many people buy without knowing what their obligations will be. Very clever idea of eagle. Don't see any problems with it.

Leave a comment:

• jp13abk
    replied
    eagle2 I will try that. As far as I know, an offer needs to be accepted in order to proceed to the conveyancing work? Do you know if this is correct?

Neelix that is the only piece of information they are (usually) able to provide on the spot. However, the other questions are key for me to decide if I want to purchase or not.

Leave a comment:

• Neelix
    replied
    If the estate agent doesn't know how long the lease has to run how did they value the property?

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied
    You can also say that you will be completing the conveyancing work yourself, so all the documents should be sent directly to you. You may then change your mind and appoint a solicitor if you decide to proceed.

Leave a comment:

• jp13abk
    replied
    Thank you both for your answers.

Gordon999 I already have, unfortunately this makes no difference. They claim the lease will only be sent to a solicitor.

eagle2 I have learnt this the hard way. On previous occasions, my approach has been to ask the aforementioned questions to the estate agent for them to take away, investigate and provide an answer. Since their response time is far from swift, what happens is that someone else ends up placing an offer and the property is removed from the market.

As you've mentioned, I guess I'll have to make an offer subject to contract and if the conditions aren't right, assume that whatever money has been spent on a solicitor will be lost.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Communal area
    by Starlane
    Hi and thank you in advance for your help and guidance ....a letter has been sent as a last resort from my solicitor to the freeholder and the directors. Basically they lack the knowledge and experience to basically understand the lease let alone anything else like RICS code and L& T acts etc.......and...
    16-07-2021, 23:09 PM
  • Reply to Communal area
    by Starlane
    Yes I get that Andrew thank you it could be a situation jumping from one dodgy ship to another dodgy ship, I have weighed this up pros and cons and yes bills could increase I can see that especially when no repair and maintenance of the building has been done for years and the place needs a number of...
    25-07-2021, 14:38 PM
  • Advice on flat sale
    by Ionela Preda
    Guys, hi!

I represent a RTM Company, I am the Director of it, 11 flats in our block.
    He have some people willing to sell their flat, and I am really “flat” on the legal aspect;

I need to give them: the Deed of Covenant, the Assignment Pack, I need to lift and re-apply...
    24-07-2021, 15:54 PM
  • Reply to Advice on flat sale
    by MrSoffit
    Hi. As a director of an RTMC with a managing agent in toe we can leave the sales pack work to our managing agent, but there is one point that doesn't make sense to me here. Unless the lease requires the seller to get prior consent to assign -- as apart from the more standard requirement for the buyer...
    25-07-2021, 14:31 PM
  • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
    by witsend55
    Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
    24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
  • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
    by ram
    The Directors must inform the Managing agents that "they must adhere to the lease, and that the management company has not voted with a majority in favour of allowing the lease to be changed, therefore please continue to enforce the lease" as the directors so stipulate....
    25-07-2021, 13:46 PM
  • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
    by witsend55
    Thank you everyone. The thoughts here are in accordance with my own gut feeling, that our flat management co. should leave things as they are. I have been very worried where it all might lead to if we got psychologically bulldozed by the seller into agreeing to such a major change in the residency structure....
    25-07-2021, 13:29 PM
  • Garden Furniture
    by Sandy1986
    We have been told (yes I know lol) by the management company that we can't have benches in the communal gardens due to health and safety. Sounds like a load of hogwash to me. Has anybody had problems with this?
    21-07-2021, 20:20 PM
  • Reply to Garden Furniture
    by Macromia
    That could be completely valid - although it does depend on circumstances (including the answers to some of the questions that others have already asked).

The management company, on the freeholder's behalf if there is a separate freeholder, has a responsibility for the health and safety...
    25-07-2021, 13:04 PM
  • Who can become a director of a RMC?
    by David Mc
    Hi, Could anyone advise who can actually become a director of a RMC. We are a block of 30 flats, each flat has one share in the RMC. We employ a managing agent. The RMC holds the freehold to the property. The MA is the company secretary.

There are currently 2 directors, although...
    23-07-2021, 09:58 AM
Working...
X