RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing

I am a RTM Director with two other Directors. We have appointed a external management company to help us run the management of our properties. Three property owners have substansial historical arrears ( one of which is a current Director of the RTM company).

Our managing agent has asked us if "historical arrears" should be included in this year's maintenance statements. Two of us agreed, however the Director with arrears refused and then in an emotional outburst (via email) accused the longest serving Director of "using the company funds as his own personal slush fund" along with a number of other accusations.

Can anyone tell me what needs to happen next?

All accounts were handed over to the new management company and everything is in order. I have no reason or evidence to question our historical/current accounts.

This is a very serious allegation. I have asked the management company to contact me to discuss where we go next, but they haven't called me back.

What are my duties as a Director in this situation?

All advice and guidance very welcome. Thank you.

You have a duty to investigate the comments, so you should contact the director and ask him to produce evidence to support his comments. If he cannot produce evidence, you shoud ask him to retract the comments.
    You should also remind him that he has rights as a leaseholder to challenge the charges but it would be preferable if you could find a solution yourselves rather than incur substantial costs.
    Well done for taking your duties seriously.

Comment

If the RTM has appointed a " professional managing agent" to operate the service charge account, the managing agent has to follow the standard under the RICS Residential Management Code .

The managing agent has to chase the leaseholders for service charge payment , and if necessary recover any arrears of payment through the small claims court . If any leaseholder is not satisfied to pay the service charge due, he/she should make application to the FTT for judgement on the reasonableness of the service charge payment..

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate your guidance. I have a way forward now. Cheers. KAH.

Comment

Gordon999,

We appointed a "professional managing agent" and fully expected the new managing agent to chase the leaseholders and recover the arrears owing and also the balancing charge from the previous year, unfortunately it didn't happen because as he was a new managing agent he wanted to afford the leaseholders more time or as one of the apathetic directors suggested he wanted to get his own feet under the table first.

Comment

If a MA was appointed to run the service charge account and collect service charge contributions , the directors can instruct the MA to use the small claims court to recover arrears in service charge payments.

Comment

Gordon999,

Thank you for the reply.

However, very difficult to do when the MA refuses to correspond with you or return calls when messages have been left concerning the arrears.

Even worse when acting as a "professional managing agent" terminates the agreement due to differences in management styles.

And then the apathetic directors all state, accompanied by two of their wifes, that there are no arrears and that those that haven't paid have until the end of the year to pay.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Resigning as RTM Director
                by ram
                Selling my leasehold property ? you ask, because I told MrT2014 to sell up.
                But I take no prisoners, don't care what I say if it's the truth ( of course in legal proceedures, one has to be delicate with ones words )

I find a lot of people, when advised what to do, are too scared to...
                23-06-2021, 10:27 AM
              • Resigning as RTM Director
                by MrT2014
                Hi,

After several years as a Director handling the admin for our small RTM I've had enough chasing the other two flat owners/directors who contribute very little and endlessly footdrag when stuff needs to be done. 90% of my time is spent sending reminder emails and I'm pretty much done...
                20-06-2021, 13:28 PM
              • Title deeds don't match floor plan
                by carcarrot94
                Hi everyone!

I am a first-time buyer and saw a flat that I was interested in. It has a 999 year old lease. It is on sale through probate as the previous owner died.

The problem with it is that there seems to be an extra bedroom added by the leaseholder and that is not reflected...
                07-06-2021, 18:22 PM
              • Reply to Title deeds don't match floor plan
                by carcarrot94
                Thanks for all your input! I appreciate it! ...
                23-06-2021, 10:13 AM
              • New Freeholder - Charging rent for gardens
                by Marcus1906
                Hi all, we have recently been informed that the freehold to our homes has been transferred to a company called {name removed}.

To give a bit of background, we own our properties on long leases (approx 900 years), the new freeholder has today contacted us to inform us...
                27-03-2021, 19:59 PM
              • Reply to New Freeholder - Charging rent for gardens
                by Lawcruncher
                There are various possible scenarios:

Land belongs to A who owns the freehold. Adjoining land belongs to B who has let it to C. A encroaches on the adjoining land. He is in adverse possession against C, not B. He cannot be in adverse possession against B because B has no right to possession....
                23-06-2021, 07:52 AM
              • Reply to New Freeholder - Charging rent for gardens
                by tupoon
                Would it be true that a tenant cannot be in adverse possession against his landlord if there has never been a tenant / landlord agreement in place, or if you believed, maybe wrongly, the land to be yours for several years and not known the existence of any landlord?...
                23-06-2021, 07:19 AM
              • Reply to Title deeds don't match floor plan
                by Lawcruncher
                See post 10....
                23-06-2021, 07:00 AM
                by eagle2
                Returning to the original question, there must have been reasons at the outset to volunteer to be a director and I suspect that those reasons remain today. If you can persuade the other members to contribute their share of the workload, I would recommend retaining a watchful eye over them. If the RTM...
                23-06-2021, 05:26 AM
                by eagle2
                Please continue, they are very entertaining, in fact I am considering adding as a postscript to my postings that if the recommended action does not work, you should be employed to sort every one out.

Just one question, are you practicising what you preach, are you selling your leasehold...
                23-06-2021, 05:16 AM
              Working...
              X