MA continues to provide services but no Service Charge budget or demand issued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Macromia View Post

Yes, FTTs will almost always allow whatever accountancy fees a freeholder demands - largely because supposed 'best practice' is to have an independent accountant certify all accounts. That is a problem and needs to change. So called 'best practice' like this is heavily influenced by organisations that are working more for accountants than for leaseholders.
    In small blocks having certified accounts really is of no benefit at all, and does nothing more than add to annual service charge costs (in my case it adds about 10% to the average annual service charge, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that it takes me less than 15 minutes to carry out a full check of all invoices, including checking whether the costs are actually payable under the terms of the lease. The certified accounts I currently receive don't even meet the requirements given in the lease.
    I think that the problem is that leaseholders do not understand the accountants' reports. The freeholder/RMC/directors remain responsible for the service charge accounts, they issue instructions to the accountant, those instructions are not supplied to leaseholders and the accountant reports back to the freeholder etc not to the leaseholders. The accountants' duties fall under Tech 03/11 and appendix F lists a minimum work programme of 17 items, only one of which considers a sample of invoices. So the accountants' duties have become largely a ticking boxes exercise in order that claims cannot be made against them.

I don't think that there is any substitution for leaseholders inspecting supporting documents, which should be made available for inspection as a matter of course.
    I suggest that service charge accounts should be explained to leaseholders.
    I agree with you that accountants' reports could be limited to larger blocks or where expenditure exceeds a certain limit.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
      by eagle2
      Surely the point here is that 3 leaseholders have agreed that the freeholder may decide what is "fair and reasonable" and the 4 joint freeholders decide what is "fair and reasonable" (at least for 3 leaseholders) each time a service charge demand is issued.

A leaseholder...
      28-01-2022, 07:33 AM
    • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
      by Santa Fe
      Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
      24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
    • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
      by SouthernDave
      Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
      i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
      25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
    • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
      by Section20z
      But it will make him liable for freeholders costs, which for a low value extension are often disproportionate.
      Always exhaust Iinformal negotiations first....
      28-01-2022, 06:57 AM
    • Reply to 2 misconceived court claims and last minute back down by landlord
      by eagle2
      Welcome to the world of leasehold property where incompetent directors (and others who should know better) can mismanage buildings and leaseholders suffer. You will probably find that the sinking fund was raided in order to finance their wrongful legal action and now they are trying to replenish that...
      28-01-2022, 06:48 AM
    • 2 misconceived court claims and last minute back down by landlord
      by Starlane
      Over the last few years the current directors have made simple mistakes and brought court claim after court claim against me causing me stress, distress and lots of wasted time and energy. I have tried to be reasonable call meetings to discuss and collaborate and still they carry on and NO I cant remove...
      27-01-2022, 18:30 PM
    • Reply to AGM cancelled.
      by eagle2
      It does not make any difference in as much as you should comply with the Articles and current legislation....
      28-01-2022, 06:23 AM
    • AGM cancelled.
      by Grumio
      Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
      26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
      by eagle2
      it is not unusual for a member to need to be nominated by another member and for that member to need to indicate his willingness to be a director if he is appointed, There may be time limits for notifying the Company. Depending on which version of model Articles apply, Article 76 says just that, In...
      28-01-2022, 06:20 AM
      by fos333
      A lot of the sections of CA1985 were superceded by CA2006.

Look at Table A along with your own company articles. Not all sections will be mentioned in your articles, but they still apply, unless your articles state they do not apply.

Past shareholders/members appointed as directors...
      28-01-2022, 00:11 AM
    Working...
    X