In a Joint Tenancy of a Leasehold, which has first right to be the Company Director?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eagle2
    replied
    A leaseholder should have the right to be a member and vote on matters. There cannot be an automatic right to become a director because as Andrew says some individuals are disqualified from acting and members cannot be forced to take on a role which they do not wish to accept or are incapable of accepting. In addition you cannot take away the members legal right to remove a director from office if that person is not acting in the members' best interests.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    No. This is under company law, and you cannot force anyone to be a director of a company as a condition of being shareholder.

As I said
    a) Some people are disqualified from being Directors. That does not disqualify them from having a share in a freehold-holding company.
    b) It is sensible if someone knows a company is behaving illegally, immorally and dangerously AND if they cannot do anything about that from the inside, that they resign any directorship

Leave a comment:

• FAQthis
    replied
    Automatic right? meaning in situations where the leaseholders are shareholders, they also must direct and vote? Unless they nominate another etc.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    The articles really say that the director has to be in physical occupation as their primary residence?? That would be most unusual and inappropriate.... What are the actual words of it if so?

I would have thought that in the case of joint ownership the joint owners will decide who takes that role and it is nothing to do with either the Company or on actual residency?

Furthermore you cannot assign someone to be a director of a company -- nobody can be forced to be a director (and some are excluded). They might have the automatic right, but that is different.

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied
    Usually the joint members decide which one may apply to be a director and which one raises a hand when voting at a meeting.

Leave a comment:

• In a Joint Tenancy of a Leasehold, which has first right to be the Company Director?

In our block each flat is autimatically assigned one Director role on purchase of the property. The Articles state that in a Joint Tenancy, obviously only one can be the Director. In the case where they also occupy the flat, is their a norm for what happens if one of those joint tenants moves out and seperates from the other and the ownership is still shared. Should the Director role go with the occupying tenant first?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
    by L4NDLORD
    If you have a solicitor ask him to download a copy of the lease from HM Land Registry, it will inform you of the rent payable etc. Costs about three quid, plus your solicitors time (ten minutes!)
    29-01-2022, 00:57 AM
  • 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
    by pt888
    A property recently came back onto the market for the reason being that the previous buyer was unable to lend money from his bank due to the lease only having 87 years remaining, the estate agent therefore said that going forward only cash-buyers would be considered. Out of those cash buyers i was selected....
    28-01-2022, 20:38 PM
  • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
    by L4NDLORD
    The city will probably insist you served notice and that they obtain a valuation for which you will almost certainly have to pay. Even so with 87 years unexpired its still not going to cost very much, a few thousand pounds. The solution to your question is to ask the seller to serve the notice on the...
    29-01-2022, 00:56 AM
  • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
    by SouthernDave
    Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
    i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
    25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
  • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
    by L4NDLORD
    it is quite true that the professionals unnecessarily make a meal of this type of work. One of the planks of my submission to Professor Hophins was that the landlord's costs should be limited to 500 pounds. I also suggested that relativity be standardised nationally (accepting that there would be winners...
    29-01-2022, 00:51 AM
  • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
    by sgclacy
    So the new lessee who wishes to challenge the proportion would have seen BEFORE he purchased the flat what percentage he was to pay - the unfairness of the bargain was patently clear BEFORE he purchased and may we’ll have been reflected in the price paid for the flat. So notwithstanding all of that...
    28-01-2022, 22:45 PM
  • Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
    by bigalxyz
    Director of RMC - 11 flats in London
    There seems to be a long standing problem with the plumbing in the bathroom of one of the flats. 4 water leaks in the last 18 months, causing damage to the flat below.

Is there anything the RMC can do to compel the leaseholder of the problem flat...
    28-01-2022, 16:05 PM
  • Reply to Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
    by bigalxyz
    There's no single cause - there have been multiple leaks - each time a different cause. Blocked bath overflow, leaking washing machine hose, leaking toilet cistern inlet, failed balloon valve in toilet, shower screen not fitted properly...all kinds of things. Just general neglect. Owner's never there,...
    28-01-2022, 22:32 PM
    by bigalxyz
    Thank you.

I plan to leaf through the lease at the weekend - there may well be clauses along the lines that you suggest (it does ring a bell). Also I do know that there's a clause along the lines of "leaseholders mustn't do anything to mess up the insurance of the building, and are...
    28-01-2022, 22:30 PM
    by Macromia
    What it says in the lease is mostly what you have to rely on. I would be looking for any clauses that the flat needs to be kept in a good state of repair, and in particular anything that mentions keeping the pipes that serve the flat in a good state of repair and replaced when necessary and anything...
    28-01-2022, 20:53 PM
Working...
X