EPC and poor insulation in loft space.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPC and poor insulation in loft space.

I have a top floor flat in a purpose built block. I have had an EPC done, and it is a D so all ok. However tenant has had a look in the loft and said that there is no insulation in the loft. I have confirmed with the managing agents that I do not own the loft space. As a result I would not be insulating the loft space.
    Because of no insulation in the loft the EPC is scored very poorly , as other flat have a higher rating of C.
    Does the managing company have a obligation as regards building regs etc...to provide insulation as my tenant complains it’s cold without insulation.

For the cost of insulation maybe just tell the agents you are going to put it in and do it

loft Insulation is the cheapest improvement YOU can make with probably the best pay back period too

Comment

Over the years there have been government schemes where this work can be done for free.

Comment

If you can get up to the loft I'd probably just do it anyway, for the small cost and improvements to the EPC.

Comment

I would add it myself, it costs are minimal and remember by 2028 as a D you will not be able to rent it........ many would love to be in your position with such a simple fix to get a C.

Comment

I have the same situation - would it not be breaching the lease to add it without getting written permission? (Seeing as it's not demised to the leaseholder)

Comment

That would depend what the lease says, but if the only access is through the flat then it's never going to be an issue unless your conscience overcomes you and you confess to landlord.
              Most freeholders, like myself, would have no idea if any of my ground rent properties have loft insulation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X