Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT on Ground Rent

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a holiday chalet with about 50 years left on it's lease. The Vendor has supplied me with some paperwork including Ground Rent and Service Charge demands. I notice that the Landlord is charging VAT on the Ground Rent but not the Service Charges and was wondering if this was legit, I always thought Ground Rent was VAT exempt?

Any advice gratefully received.

Are you buying a leasehold property which started with 99 years lease ?

VAT is a requirement for businesses which have annual turnover exceeding £85K

Comment

The chalet was built in 1970 with a 99 year lease. The Freeholder (Landlord) doesn't charge VAT on the maintenance/service charges but does with the Ground Rent, I'm confused!

Comment

If the freeholder is a company receiving over £85K income , it has to register for VAT and charge VAT..

The administration of service charge account under the 99 years lease includes cost of annual maintenance for the buildings and contribution to insurance, are charged as cost to the leaseholders. So no VAT is charged on the service charge levy.

https://www.taxinsider.co.uk/recharg...d-vat-be-added.

The lease on the chalet has only 48 years remaining and if the building is in good condition, you should consider paying for statutory lease extension.

Comment

Vat is only normally payable on commercial leases, perhaps this is defined as such.

Comment

Do you pay residential council tax or business rates on the property

Comment

The Council Tax is zero rated. It's only a small chalet on a holiday park. No business rates either.

Comment

Does the property title at Land Registry show it is residential property or commercial property ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X